The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can bring one out in pieces if you bring out the whole thing.

I honestly believe that this hinders people from getting as deep as they possibly could. What does it matter if you bring out the cape and quarters, tenderloins and neck meat leaving the hooves and rib cage.

Are we really worrying about the very few that will do this in fear of how game crooks might abuse it?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
jlh42581 said:
I know you can bring one out in pieces if you bring out the whole thing.

I honestly believe that this hinders people from getting as deep as they possibly could. What does it matter if you bring out the cape and quarters, tenderloins and neck meat leaving the hooves and rib cage.

Are we really worrying about the very few that will do this in fear of how game crooks might abuse it?
What are the quartering laws? Actual law please, not a summary!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jason, I dont have an excerpt from the digest. It wasnt clear so I contacted the office directly and they stated that big game animals could be quartered provided EVERYTHING was brought out. The entire hide, head, rib cage... everything!

Its not black and white in the digest, I just looked.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im pretty sure you cannot 1/4 elk or bears due to the fact they must be checked in.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
JasonN said:
What are the quartering laws? Actual law please, not a summary!
There are no quartering laws. And there are also no place of processing requirements so where it falls is OK to process (quarter). But there are refuse laws. Only the offal is exempted from them. Everything that is required to be disposed of as residential waste from your house would also need to be carried off the public land and disposed of in that manner.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If and when I feel the need to quarter and pack out...I'll do it..regardless of the law. Everything will come out..."no one left behind."...

Muab Dib

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have definitely carried/dragged/pushed/cussed deer that I have killed that I would have quartered but I was also under the assumption that it was illegal to do so. And if you cant leave the rib cage the hide and the hooves, then to me whats the point. You might as well drag the thing.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
JustinWidowMaker said:
I have definitely carried/dragged/pushed/cussed deer that I have killed that I would have quartered but I was also under the assumption that it was illegal to do so. And if you cant leave the rib cage the hide and the hooves, then to me whats the point. You might as well drag the thing.
No kidding!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If Nugent said he did such a thing everyone would want him quartered because the law is the law, as they say. The law is vague and open to interpretation. That is why so many people are criminals, Because how I interpret the law is different from a LE officer. But I’m automatically wrong because I do not wear a uniform, so therefore I must be stupid.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
RIZ said:
If Nugent said he did such a thing everyone would want him quartered because the law is the law, as they say. The law is vague and open to interpretation. That is why so many people are criminals, Because how I interpret the law is different from a LE officer. But I’m automatically wrong because I do not wear a uniform, so therefore I must be stupid.
What are you talking about?

·
Registered
80 Posts
if you kill a big deer there is between 9-10 lbs of hamburgh between those ribs if your good enough to kill it then you are good enough to use it. also on that note where i bear and deer hunt i shoot mtn to mtn where thre is no other way than to pack them out in quarters. thats the way many of us brought our bear and deer out of there

·
Super Moderator
14,267 Posts
I have checked deer, bear and elk that were brought out in quarters and even when the meat was removed from the bone and only the meat and head brought out. Most bear hunters that don’t bring the entire bear out do bring the entire hide with the meat though.

I have never had a problem with it as long as they bring all of the meat and the legally tagged head. As long as I was convinced it was a legal deer I never cared if they left the non-edible parts in the woods. If there was a question about the legality of the deer I would make them take me back to where the carcass was located to make sure the meat came from a legal deer.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Muab Dib said:
Thanks be to you Dick. Common sense prevails.

Muab
The older I get, Muab, the more precious a commodity common sense seems to be. As guys like RSB retire and are replaced by the next genration, common sense edges farther toward extinction.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I have read now about two instances where this went ok. My question is what happens the day someone is having a bad day.

I sent a letter off to the board this morning. I would really like to see this spelled out in black and white as to it being legal to do so. Especially since when I sent my letter to the north central office they told me EVERYTHING must come out.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can have a deer skinned, quartered, deboned and ready to pack out in under an hour. Sometimes the drag takes me more than what it would to do the work and pack it out.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
jlh42581 said:
I can have a deer skinned, quartered, deboned and ready to pack out in under an hour. Sometimes the drag takes me more than what it would to do the work and pack it out.
If you're doing all that in less than 1 hr, you're wasting a lot of meat when deboning!

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
How so?I can have a deer skinned and quartered in well under an hour.The only thing left is the rib cage and truthfully,I never bother with it.No way are you getting anywhere near 8-10 lbs of lean meat from a ribcage like another person posted.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts