The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do like the subject bug control gadgets...They do keep sketters and gnats away...However best to also apply the anti-tick sprays to your clothes.

However a little bit disappointed in the Thermocell....This is for stand hunting and or fishing..Not to be used while walking in the woods...So...A shroomer, or Indian Summer Grouse hunter just can't use a Thermocell... However I have recently used the OFF snap on when walking from A to B area while woodchuck hunting...That thing works great to keep the skeeter and gnats away when your moving. The Thermocell however is good for one spot hunting..However you best remember that you have it or you may leave it in the woods..

When I set on my deck and think hunting and fishing I use my Thermocell...However when working in the yard I use the OFF Snap On device....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I love my thermocell make sitting still in the tree very easy during early october. Also great for spring turkey season. I have never used the off snap on

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you notice that when you use the Thermocell they inform you to make sure the vent is straight up..Horozontial and not vertical...Pamplet said that it will ruin it if the vent is not facing up..Now thats not bad...Just so you know the proper way to use the Thermocell. I have two Thermocells. One for the deck with a lantern light on it the other is the one you carry in the holster..

Now I would like to say that the fan does make a real small noise when using the Off Snap On...However if your walking in the woods that no big deal..
Hence another good reason why a Thermocell would be better for stand hunting or hunting stationary. No noise of the small fan. The noise is not real loud however on the Off Snap on...

However they inform you to not turn on the Thermocell until you get to your hunting spot.. However what about all the bitting insects you encounter as you walk into your stand?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
how do you like the holster i have though about getting on?

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mixed emotions again on the holster.. Since you can't use it as you walk around in the outdoors to keep bugs away. It strickly to attach to limbs and keep the vent in a upright position..You can take the strap and attach it to a knapsack or on your belt to carry it into the woods.
Dicks have them for $12.95 now.

What I did after I did slip the Thermocell into the Holster..I placed two pieces of orange tape on the back and the front in case. It would give me a constant visual while on deer stand...Again the Thermocell once placed on a bush or limb could be forgotten when you depart.....Hence the reason why I placed the orange tape on it or also easy to see if I dropped it on the forest floor..

·
Registered
750 Posts
I LOVE my thermocell. Got it when hunting down in GA. The Teradactyl size skeeters stayed away when I had it fired up. Although did notice when walking/swattin that it couldnt be used as well then. I do know they skeeters laughed at the "off". I think it was more like A1 to them.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I LOVE my thermocell. Got it when hunting down in GA. The Teradactyl size skeeters stayed away when I had it fired up. Although did notice when walking/swattin that it couldnt be used as well then. I do know they skeeters laughed at the "off". I think it was more like A1 to them.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks Uncle Buck. I think I'll give those Off gadjets a try. I tried Thermacell this year and I wasn't too happy with the results.I tried using a Thermacell on a camping trip. It was working fine with light smoke coming out of it. I used it in calm to very light winds in the evening. My brother and I sat within 2 feet of it facing eachother. It had been turned on for about an hour before we did this. Mosquitos were still landing on us and trying to bite. It wasn't just a few either. I used it through the week with the same results. For those that say this works does that mean you will only get bit 5 times instead of ten times if you didn't use it? Is it possible that it only works on certain species of mosquitos? I know there are many types. I don't ever get bit while using repellants with deet if applied correctly. I just was trying to do it without using chemicals.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took both hunting for chucks the other night...Thermocell and the Snap On Off. When walking from one chuck stand to the other the Snap on Off worked outstanding... While on stand. I fired up the Thermocell..It's suppose to protect you about in a 15 square foot area... What I liked about it...The Snap on Off on my belt kept the mosquites away while just standing there.. However when I fired up the Thermocell I no longer had Gnats flying around my face.

Thermocell works great for stationary type outdoor activities.. Remember the insect insert only works 4 hours. The butane works about 8 to 12 hours before it has to be replaced...The Snap on Off is suppose to work 12 hours.. Mine has been working about 24 hours of hunting time.. Of course you turn it off when not being used to achieve the longer period..
Worst thing...using chemicals...once you start to sweat the sprays run into your eyes and start burning. Same thing for adult sunscreen...I countered the sunscreen thing. By using childrens brand Bannana Boat Sunscreen. I also found a insect repelant that if you want to use it. Will not burn when it runs into your eyes from sweat.. Truly the best thing to do is use the non chemical devices.. However as always and already posted on here.. The Thermocell is useless when walking. The Snap On Off can be used and does work while walking. The clip is a bit large on the Snap On Off and will fall off your belt...Just say when your straining to climb on top of one of those large shreaded Wheat looking bales of hay to get into a good shooting positon for woodchucks...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Looking on other sites, the OFF usually doesn't fair so well in reviews compared to the TC. I can't say I've given it a rigorous testing, but we took one on vacation to NH for my wife to wear. I watched several differnt times as mosquitos landed directly on the device. The TC worked great for me in early archery last season on stand. I didn't try to use it while moving, as it's really not designed for that. I was also wearing clothing treated with Permethrin, but I could see a definite difference in hovering bloodsuckers once the TC was fired up. I may try the OFF device myself this fall just to get a fair comparison.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts