The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a really good pair of Thermal underwear. Has to be for cold weather and scent eliminating. I was thinking about Under armor with Infrared but, I see Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop have there brand on sale. Anyone have any experience with and of these or any other brands like sitka, Scent shield or scent lok? How do they stack up against Under armor? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I would not put much faith in the scent eliminating hoopla. For cold weather I like Polartec ECWCS.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Friend of mine snowmobiles allot in Canada.Temps are in minus double dig.He said up there nobody wears Blue Jeans.Most wear sweat pants and shirts.Been wearing them since he told me with no problems!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
You wear what you know. Years ago it was cotton insulated underwear. Survived minus ten degree weather.
Never wore cotton jeans in winter. My momma taught me that jeans dry last on the clothes line. Of course, I found third and fourth generation insulated underwear, better than cotton, do the job.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought a set of under Armour heavy weight long underwear about 3 years ago for a ridiculous amount of money. Absolute waste! I would never buy anything made by them again. I bought a set of light weight merino wool blend from TJ Max for about 10-15% of what I paid for UA and signifantly warmer.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just bought and used the UA 3.0. I like them. Brother has the 4.0 and likes them too. What we like most about them is their ability to get moisture off your body. We hike quite a ways in rifle. Carry our upper clothes in and dress at the stand. Your still wet from the walk and the UA works well at moisture control and retaining heat. For extreme cold weather, I layer over the UA. It is expensive but I don't buy the stuff every year. In fact my original pair of UA is 10 years old. Not knocking anything else but UA has served me well for high usage and durability.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
buckman4c said:
I just bought and used the UA 3.0. I like them. Brother has the 4.0 and likes them too. What we like most about them is their ability to get moisture off your body. We hike quite a ways in rifle. Carry our upper clothes in and dress at the stand. Your still wet from the walk and the UA works well at moisture control and retaining heat. For extreme cold weather, I layer over the UA. It is expensive but I don't buy the stuff every year. In fact my original pair of UA is 10 years old. Not knocking anything else but UA has served me well for high usage and durability.
This....I bought a pair of UA top and bottoms 5 or 6 years ago...I still have them and they work just fine. This next statement I literally have no proof to but it has been my experience. I use no permethrin or anything of the sort and since using the UA compression gear I haven't had not one single tick on the skin they cover from top to bottom. I don't know if they just can't figure out how to get in, or what. Only ticks I find are on my outer layers or crawing on the UA as I'm getting undressed.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
1shot2kills said:
This next statement I literally have no proof to but it has been my experience. I use no permethrin or anything of the sort and since using the UA compression gear I haven't had not one single tick on the skin they cover from top to bottom. I don't know if they just can't figure out how to get in, or what. Only ticks I find are on my outer layers or crawing on the UA as I'm getting undressed.
Makes sense, although it's concerning. It is concerning in the fact that ticks like to work their way up until they can easily get to skin. You might get bites on the neck and hair line with this method. Back around 2010, I started using permethrin. Before using it, I relied on my compression UA to prevent the ticks from getting to my skin. But then I would get bites on my neck and back of head as I drove home from the hunt. It disgusted me. I have since used permethrin and UA....permethrin on outer layer not on UA.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
What happens to all the hunters who don't have the very best or just can't afford it.

I was out last week in 7 degree weather and survived very well. I had on some 25 year old polypropylene underwear, uninsulated low cut hiking ahoes, gaiters, and no added "base wear" like a woolen sweater I usually wear in cold weather.
Guess I couldn't go testing with some. Too old and too unprepared for modern hunters. Good thing I test alone. Especially with the parka from a Goodwill that my wife found for me.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I bought the cabelas ecwcs made by polar tech and absolutely love it for cold weather. I will get another set. I believe there on sale now too.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Our son was in the military for a long time. He always bought me long johns from...
www.dakotaouterwear.com
I have 3 different weights of long johns from dakotaouterwear that serves me well.
Its good enough for the US Military.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts