The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a hand held thermal imaging device and am intrigued by it, Are they legal to carry in deer season or any other open season?

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
While hunting deer, I believe they would be illegal to have in possession since they are not an approved electronic device for deer hunting.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
A guy I know uses one to track his deer after the shot. He says it's the best thing ever.

I like to track by blood. That's half the fun and excitement of recovering your deer.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Currently they are not an approved electric device legal for hunting or even game recovery.

I suspect they are pretty expensive to get one with enough power to be of much value looking for a wounded or dead deer but it might not be a bad thing to have legal just for recovery of a wounded deer.

I have discovered that with the cataracts on my eyes I can no longer see blood on leaves or bare ground any more. That makes it about impossible to follow a blood trail unless there is snow.

Infrared for game recovery might not be a bad idea to pursue. But, once a person has one in the field it might be hard to control the legal verse illegal use of it.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
I have this nifty little hand held thermal imager by Seek Thermal. I don't use it for hunting but use it around camp to scan some fields at night when scouting. Its also use it around the house. It is great to find drafts around windows and doors and even studs on outside walls. If someone walks across the floor, it will pick up their footprints for several minutes.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many years ago while sitting on a knoll over looking a rhododendron patch I watch a couple of guys sneaking around. One of them had a small (6x3?) metal box with an antenna protruding from the front. They were pointing it in several directions as if looking for something. Never knew what they had. But yes, I could see the misuse of this item (Cabela's is selling it). They claim it functions out to 200 yds.
Dick, you need to have cataract surgery. The difference would be remarkable.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have this nifty little hand held thermal imager by Seek Thermal. I don't use it for hunting but use it around camp to scan some fields at night when scouting. Its also use it around the house. It is great to find drafts around windows and doors and even studs on outside walls.

Yeah, that's the one Cabela's is selling for $400.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A guy I know uses one to track his deer after the shot. He says it's the best thing ever.

I like to track by blood. That's half the fun and excitement of recovering your deer.
They are not legal period, they cannot be used to track a deer or hunt deer.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
i thought they signed it into law in PA, but the PGC hasnt put it in the game code yet.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Last I checked, this site is hunting PA.
Great observation....but there are many people on this "hunting PA" forum...that aren't from Pa...and or hunt other states where thermal is legal.
Remember...prohibited electronic devices technically include cell phones and walkie-talkie if you want to start cutting hairs LOL

I'll add that thermal for recovery would help in many unfortunate situations, in dry and rain/wet conditions, but still has it's time limitations after a kill as awesome as it is.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
For predator hunting.
is it ok to use them for Predators then ? has the PGC added this ?

Great observation....but there are many people on this "hunting PA" forum...that aren't from Pa...and or hunt other states where thermal is legal.
Remember...prohibited electronic devices technically include cell phones and walkie-talkie if you want to start cutting hairs LOL

I'll add that thermal for recovery would help in many unfortunate situations, in dry and rain/wet conditions, but still has it's time limitations after a kill as awesome as it is.
i think that would also include the use of trail cameras, especially the celluar cams that send a photo to a persons phone as its happening.

Reactions: JJ4D

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
is it ok to use them for Predators then ? has the PGC added this ?
Not yet. It is on the agenda for a final vote at the meeting next weekend. If it is approved, it usually takes a month or two before it is placed in the Pa Bulletin which is when it becomes active.

If all goes well, they would be legal late fall or early winter so folks would get some field time with them this license year.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Thank you. i just saw that on the agenda in Caseys post :)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
There are some $25 IR cameras available online that attach to smartphones.
My brother picked one up for use at work. We played around with it one evening last December at camp.
We were shocked to see that the silly little thing actually worked, and quite well, especially for the ridiculously low price.
Slowly scanning it around after dark it easily picked up a few deer that had bedded down about 150 yards from the tent, and later picked out the bobcat that screamed at us around 11PM.
Don't think it would have worked that well had it not been COLD with good snow cover, haven't played with it in warmer temps.
We don't think it has enough temperature resolution beyond "across the room" distances to "spot" the lower temp differences you'd encounter when it's significantly warmer out, but haven't tested that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts