·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Yes, I use it during spring turkey....works great for knats

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hern said:
Wife and I use Thermacell while sitting on patio or around campfire.
They work.
Second that one!

·
Registered
742 Posts
tanner said:
I found it works great for mosquito's and OK for gnats.

Worth it? Yes.
Just OK for gnats? There is no need for me to use a thermacell for mosquitoes. I just use mosquito repellant. I haven't found anything that keeps those pesky gnats away. They're are more aggravating then mosquitoes.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
We had gnats last summer worse than I have ever seen. The Thermacell helped but didn't keep all the gnats away. They are a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
if you hunt or fish in the spring or even early fall, thermacell is one of the best things to have. invest in plenty of wafer and butane refills too, they go pretty quickly

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
great for mosquitoes. I use it in the south hunting deer and boar in stands. NOTHING works as good.

Also using it on warm days spring turkey hunting in PA.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. I just got 2 delivered from cabelas today. On sale for 18.99 with holster. I will be trying them out this summer.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, don't know if I want to risk blowing myself up, but there is a video on youtube that shows you how to refill the butane containers and pads.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I tried using a Thermacell for the first time last week on a camping trip. It was working fine with light smoke coming out of it. I used it in calm to very light winds in the evening. My brother and I sat within 2 feet of it facing eachother. It had been turned on for about an hour before we did this. Mosquitos were still landing on us and trying to bite. It wasn't just a few either. I used it through the week with the same results. For those that say this works does that mean you will only get bit 5 times instead of ten times if you didn't use it? Is it possible that it only works on certain types of mosquitos? I know there are many types. I don't ever get bit while using repellants with deet if applied correctly. I just was trying to do it without using chemicals.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Undertaker said:
Took one on a Maine Bear hunt. SOOOOO glad I did!!!
Depending on where you were in Maine, there might not have been Mosquitos.

Sounds crazy..I know. But went to my Buddy's camp near Danforth one year for 4th of July. I got out of the truck, and we started talking. I said, "I better get my bug spray on." He said, "Why, I just got done mowing without a shirt, there ain't no bugs." Dog gone it, he was right. Around his camp, there were no skeeters. Went up to Houlton to see the firewrks, bugs everywhere.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts