The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As archery season approached this year I was excited but also a bit nervous. This is the time of year I live for, and I now have an 11 month old son in the house. I knew my days in the woods would be shortened but I had to make the best of them. As the season approached my son and I ran trail cameras for the first time. I always had one in my back yard to see what was around the house but never out on the farm that I hunt. I would pull the cards every 2 weeks and always took him with me. At one point my mother in law asked me what all these green triangle briers were in her grandsons car seat. Oops, didn’t notice they were on him too! We went out a few evenings and put a few miles on looking for sign and trails. Wasn’t able to take him to hang stands with me and my wife was not happy that I hung the stands by myself.
I hunted opening day in the evening and didn’t see a deer. Again I knew my time would be limited in the woods, so I thought I would wait to hunt again until the rut began to hit, And spent those days in the woods away from my main man.

Well I had the opportunity to slip out Saturday evening into the stand. As I sat there not seeing anything I began to think I should be at home spending time with my son and not in the tree stand. I guess it was a guilty feeling.

After a few call sequences I began to hear some rustling that wasn’t Those pesty tree rats. Within minutes I see horns and he steps out into the field. I was already at full draw and knew the left side was decent and a legal buck. I let the arrow fly and knew it was a solid hit.

My friend and I ended up tracking the deer (following the blood river) to find the buck 60 yards away.

My father came and we drug it out and to home I went. My wife said she was going to keep up my son so we could get a picture together. I got home and he was already a sleep, so I hung the deer in a tree and waited till the morning to show my son his first deer.

The next morning after he woke up we went outside to get a picture. He immediately grabbed his horns and got a smile on his face. It made me think about the years ahead when we can go hunting as a family and watch him harvest his first deer.
I took the deer to my parents to skin him out and get him in the cooler, my wife sent me the picture of us. As I opened it I got tears in my eyes and just can’t wait to take him on his first hunt, hoping he enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.
My season was short, and now I gotta wait till rifle to get my wife back in the stand, she missed last year due to the birth of our child.

It’s not the biggest buck, but it sure is a special one for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
As archery season approached this year I was excited but also a bit nervous. This is the time of year I live for, and I now have an 11 month old son in the house. I knew my days in the woods would be shortened but I had to make the best of them. As the season approached my son and I ran trail cameras for the first time. I always had one in my back yard to see what was around the house but never out on the farm that I hunt. I would pull the cards every 2 weeks and always took him with me. At one point my mother in law asked me what all these green triangle briers were in her grandsons car seat. Oops, didn’t notice they were on him too! We went out a few evenings and put a few miles on looking for sign and trails. Wasn’t able to take him to hang stands with me and my wife was not happy that I hung the stands by myself.
I hunted opening day in the evening and didn’t see a deer. Again I knew my time would be limited in the woods, so I thought I would wait to hunt again until the rut began to hit, And spent those days in the woods away from my main man.

Well I had the opportunity to slip out Saturday evening into the stand. As I sat there not seeing anything I began to think I should be at home spending time with my son and not in the tree stand. I guess it was a guilty feeling.

After a few call sequences I began to hear some rustling that wasn’t Those pesty tree rats. Within minutes I see horns and he steps out into the field. I was already at full draw and knew the left side was decent and a legal buck. I let the arrow fly and knew it was a solid hit.

My friend and I ended up tracking the deer (following the blood river) to find the buck 60 yards away.

My father came and we drug it out and to home I went. My wife said she was going to keep up my son so we could get a picture together. I got home and he was already a sleep, so I hung the deer in a tree and waited till the morning to show my son his first deer.

The next morning after he woke up we went outside to get a picture. He immediately grabbed his horns and got a smile on his face. It made me think about the years ahead when we can go hunting as a family and watch him harvest his first deer.
I took the deer to my parents to skin him out and get him in the cooler, my wife sent me the picture of us. As I opened it I got tears in my eyes and just can’t wait to take him on his first hunt, hoping he enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.
My season was short, and now I gotta wait till rifle to get my wife back in the stand, she missed last year due to the birth of our child.

It’s not the biggest buck, but it sure is a special one for me.
Size doesn't matter, it's everything else behind the Hunt, Hat's Off to ya and the future Hunter.:smile2:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was in your exact shoes 6 yrs ago.

Now i have two boys almost 7 and 5. I went to 2nd shift when my oldest was 12 weeks and for the last 7 years have been a professional dad who works part time at night. Its super hard to cut out free time for yourself with infants in the house. Never felt too bad about my hunting habits and feeling selfish but im also a little different in that i spent/spend ALL day with my boys. Im ready for some quiet time when hunting season rolls around. Being a rifle hunter the hardest part was/is asking people to take off work to run daddy day care so i could hunt weekdays.

Were outside constantly esp during summer vacation. As much as i made my 7 yr old son watch meat eater and go squirrel hunting with me he cares more about fishing now than anything. Catfishing specifically. He never passes on a chance to go hunting with me and i hope it becomes a passion for him but you ask what he wants to do on a day off and youll hear something about catching flatheads on bluegills. My youngest is indifferent about pretty much everything...lol. He seems to be interested in hunting but doesnt want to be near anything larger than a BB gun when its going off.

My oldest son and i have hunted doves, squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, turkeys, and groundhogs. Just keep your expectations low, take snacks and drinks, and be ready to leave as soon as you get there 🙂. The best season for little ones IMO is doves. Good weather, lots of action....usually.

That being said, my oldest son, my dad, and I are headed north tomorrow to chase deer and bear for the opener of early muzzleloader. This will be his first big game hunt....just walking along with me.... if i can talk him off the brook trout in the fishing holes behind camp. As long as he loves the outdoors.

Cant wait for the next 7 yrs!

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Congrats on the buck! Great pic of you and your son, you'll treasure that pic forever. I have a similar pic of my son sitting on a buck I killed when my son was about the same age as your little guy... that was 38 years ago. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Congrats on the buck. You will enjoy every minute you spend outdoors with your son. It goes by so fast- try and enjoy every second.

·
Registered
523 Posts
See, you already have a father and son story to tell. Please enjoy him everyday because, and you've heard it before, they're gone before you know it.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Awesome read and congrats ! I find myself settling for smaller bucks these days because I miss my kids and always have a little sense of guilt when I don’t get to tuck them in at night. Let a 8 point walk yesterday but as the days go by it’s going to be harder and harder for me to give anything half decent a pass.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Congrats on your deer and nice story. But to all that say i can’t wait for next 7 years don’t wait please. You don’t no what may interfere I started taking mine trout fishing at 3 and deer scouting, stand hanging, and. Hunting at 5 now I wish I started only because as only 9 year old can put it for what do you want to be when you get older
Let’s not put cart in front of the horse. Iam hoping that he feels well enough to go youth day in Delaware at being of November. Last season was a fun hunt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts