The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you've examined the cables that hold the tree stand to the tree, some twenty-five or so feet off the ground.

Have you considered it the weak point, that takes careful attention?

·
Registered
263 Posts
You should always inspect the cables before using them. As to questioning their strength? I've dangled from cliffs with nylon rope to hold me so I have no problem using steel cables. The weak point IMO is these stands with rounded teeth to bite into the tree with. It took one ride down a maple tree at a high rate of speed for me to break out the angle grinder and make the teeth pointed. Much better now.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i agree GreenInPA, mine are flat topped teeth and i am probably going to grind mine too. as for the bables...i never them breaking a thought .25" steel cable will have no problem holding my 185 pounds.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
My API Bowhunter has chain instead of cable. Hasn't been a problem yet.

As far as the teeth, they seem to dig in just fine on mine.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
mine dig in fine too unless im on a birch or ash or beech or something like that then its a little sketchy.

but is the chain on your stand loud? or is it rubber wrapped?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Im have 2 API bowhunter tree stands the only thing you have to make sure is the the string between the the top and bottem is short enough that if the bottem drops down
{this did happen to me this year} and you are hanging on the top you can reach the bottem part of the stand with your feet and pull it back up besides that I never had a problem

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
TURKEY59 said:
Im have 2 API bowhunter tree stands the only thing you have to make sure is the the string between the the top and bottem is short enough that if the bottem drops down
{this did happen to me this year} and you are hanging on the top you can reach the bottem part of the stand with your feet and pull it back up besides that I never had a problem
#1 I found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've never used a climber with cables or chains. My old Baker BTS has blades. I climb as high as the situation dictates, "wiggle it in" , and I'm all good. It can't slip.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
My Summit Bushmaster has done great, although I echo the concerns with slick trees, especially in damp conditions. I still prefer to hunt out of my loc-on every day, although sometimes you have no option.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have a summit viper ss and last night I had trouble climbing down because the teeth did wanna let go!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
lwrsusq said:
My Summit Bushmaster has done great, although I echo the concerns with slick trees, especially in damp conditions. I still prefer to hunt out of my loc-on every day, although sometimes you have no option.
I noticed this on wet and slick trees without rough bark. I fixed this problem when i used a triangular file and filed between the wide teeth and basically made each tooth into two and darn do they bite into the bark now and never NEVER a slip now!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts