The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
You should always inspect the cables before using them. As to questioning their strength? I've dangled from cliffs with nylon rope to hold me so I have no problem using steel cables. The weak point IMO is these stands with rounded teeth to bite into the tree with. It took one ride down a maple tree at a high rate of speed for me to break out the angle grinder and make the teeth pointed. Much better now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im have 2 API bowhunter tree stands the only thing you have to make sure is the the string between the the top and bottem is short enough that if the bottem drops down
{this did happen to me this year} and you are hanging on the top you can reach the bottem part of the stand with your feet and pull it back up besides that I never had a problem

·
Registered
788 Posts
TURKEY59 said:
Im have 2 API bowhunter tree stands the only thing you have to make sure is the the string between the the top and bottem is short enough that if the bottem drops down
{this did happen to me this year} and you are hanging on the top you can reach the bottem part of the stand with your feet and pull it back up besides that I never had a problem
#1 I found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
lwrsusq said:
My Summit Bushmaster has done great, although I echo the concerns with slick trees, especially in damp conditions. I still prefer to hunt out of my loc-on every day, although sometimes you have no option.
I noticed this on wet and slick trees without rough bark. I fixed this problem when i used a triangular file and filed between the wide teeth and basically made each tooth into two and darn do they bite into the bark now and never NEVER a slip now!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.