The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using this forum as a really good reference to learn me some hunting skills for my two years (and counting) of hunting. It's been really helpful just lurking and soaking in information. However, I've had to use forum options to severely limit the topics I get updates on, due to my own divisive issues and tendency to get contrary. I'm down to a total of about 10 different topics out of the 75 available. Even with my limited viewing, I still see hunters try and sort themselves and put themselves on some sort of pedestal. A short search found these ongoing arguments, which each side claiming their view is the "real hunter" view:

Private land vs. Public land
Pro-crossbow vs. Anti-crossbow
Pro-public camo vs. Anti-public camo
Traditional vs. Modern
Meat vs. Trophy
“Brown its Down” vs. Selective
“Orange Army” vs. (not sure what the opposite is here, as we’re all wearing orange)
Multitasking lives vs. “Hunting is my life”

Not to mention all the countless ways we arbitrarily pass judgments on who is the more ethical hunter.

At the risk of sounding trite--Can't we all get along? We don't always have to agree with each other, but jeez folks, there are some people out there, like me, who are new to hunting and looking for a resource to help them along. I'm an old forum vet, and overlook a lot of stuff, but I'm sure there are newer and younger folks who could do without all the petty divisive issues.

Just food for thought, in the Spirit of Hunting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good post but it's like asking the Greeks and Persians to get along or more recently in time Republicans and Democrats. It's unfotunate but it's in our nature to disagree.

On top of that people need to adapt and in general have a tendancy to resist change. Hunters as a whole are a pretty stubborn group of people with set ways.

·
Administrator
30,493 Posts
Great post, shawmutt!!
I've been wondering the same for a while now.

·
Registered
944 Posts
People are different. Plain and simple. Some people can't have a discussion where people disagree without becoming irritated, mad, condesending, etc. That's how some people are. Some try not to be but the stonger they feel about their side of the discussion the harder it is to stay civil towards someone that feels just as strongly the opposite. It's human nature.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great post, my feelings are that as long as everyone hunts there own way, ethically and with in the law, enjoy! I myself prefer flintlock muzzleloaders, compared to inlines, bow compared to crossbow and wish we still had a seperate doe season (extra week to be at cabin). these are my opinons and if you agree great if you don't agree thats ok too lets be safe this season and good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Agree. Wish both sides would try to look at the other side of the issue once in a while.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I think another point that is dividing us is the Sunday hunting issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.