The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have around 8"-10" of snow in my neck of the woods. Should be thawing out this weekend. Looks to be 57 on Saturday. Imagine there will be fog.

I have been dying to get back out there and grouse hunt. Where would you be looking for grouse with melting snow and fog. I am imagining they will be in pines roosted in the trees, on the outskirts of poplar, and grape vine thickets. I have a few spots in mind, but was thinking you all may know where they would be more likely to be with these conditions.

Also how do you hunt when you expect them to be in the trees and not on the ground, if you have a dog with you. Hang back and let the dog get in front to try and get them to flush out from the dog. I imagine shots would be longer on treed grouse.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
yeah i think you have a good idea on looking near some pines. but i think you are also right there should be a lot of fog which isn't good at all. as for shooting i cant help im one of those weirdo's and i don't take wild flush shots only take shots from pointed birds. so ones coming out of trees get a pass from me.

i think you have some good ideas on where to look, stick to that plan and good luck.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'll take the fog over rain. I'm hoping the rain holds off this Saturday.

Hopefully the warmer temps will have the birds out and about. I have some nice hemlock edges in mind.

good luck Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts