The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rewind to the 2020 preseason. Anticipations were high as we went in the woods to make a camera pull on a few spots that we had high hopes for. A buck jumped out to us instantly upon reviewing one of my favorite locations. It's very rare that a 1.5 year old buck catches my eye, but when it's sporting double drop tines you tend to take notice. That season we had numerous sightings of the buck we now call Droopy. He was all over the property. I never saw him but my best friend and brother had multiple close encounters.

After late season past we were still getting pics which confirmed that he had survived the season.

Fast forward to the 2021 preseason and here we are. The expectations were again high and I couldn't wait to see what Droopy had turned into. Sure enough he started showing up in July and as the weeks past he started to show his potential. Here we are a few weeks from season and this puts Droopy at 2.5 years old for the start of the season. We have a plan to pass and everyone has gotten the memo which includes my Dad, Mom, brother, best friend and brother's wife. However, it will take a lot of convincing which honestly will probably fail to get my cousin and two uncles to pass him.

I will not shoot him until he is a bare minimum of 4.5 but would like to get him to 5.5 years old before I attempt the chase. I really think this is a buck that if given the time can be in the 170-180" category when he hits 5. Nonetheless the journey has begun in 2020 and would love to close the chapter in 2024. It's the long term goals that are always the most fun and often hardest to achieve.

Here's to many more years of watching him grow and seeing what the future holds.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
That's a 1.5 yr old buck???

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Rewind to the 2020 preseason. Anticipations were high as we went in the woods to make a camera pull on a few spots that we had high hopes for. A buck jumped out to us instantly upon reviewing one of my favorite locations. It's very rare that a 1.5 year old buck catches my eye, but when it's sporting double drop tines you tend to take notice. That season we had numerous sightings of the buck we now call Droopy. He was all over the property. I never saw him but my best friend and brother had multiple close encounters.

After late season past we were still getting pics which confirmed that he had survived the season.

Fast forward to the 2021 preseason and here we are. The expectations were again high and I couldn't wait to see what Droopy had turned into. Sure enough he started showing up in July and as the weeks past he started to show his potential. Here we are a few weeks from season and this puts Droopy at 2.5 years old for the start of the season. We have a plan to pass and everyone has gotten the memo which includes my Dad, Mom, brother, best friend and brother's wife. However, it will take a lot of convincing which honestly will probably fail to get my cousin and two uncles to pass him.

I will not shoot him until he is a bare minimum of 4.5 but would like to get him to 5.5 years old before I attempt the chase. I really think this is a buck that if given the time can be in the 170-180" category when he hits 5. Nonetheless the journey has begun in 2020 and would love to close the chapter in 2024. It's the long term goals that are always the most fun and often hardest to achieve.

Here's to many more years of watching him grow and seeing what the future holds.
Whose property are you hunting? If it is yours, you have every right to tell people which deer not to shoot.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whose property are you hunting? If it is yours, you have every right to tell people which deer not to shoot.
Part of the land we hunt is strictly owned by my dad and the other part is a joint property between my dad and his brothers. This deer lives on both but mostly on our side. At the end of the day I know they would be happy with this buck and that's what it's all about even if I would be a bit disappointed I would still be happy for them.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with you yellodog ! That's a 3.5 year old
Nope definitely a 2.5 year old in my book. Last year was his first rack. On the hoof my brother said he probably didn't weigh more than 125lbs. We have other pics I'm having a hard time finding with him standing beside other buck last year and he looked like a baby. A lot of mature does were his size and even bigger. If he was 3.5 years old this year he wouldn't have such a small neck. First sign of a 3 year old is the broadening of the shoulders and a more muscular neck. He has neither of those. His legs also appear very very long still which is a big indicator of a 2 year old.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Nope definitely a 2.5 year old in my book. Last year was his first rack. On the hoof my brother said he probably didn't weigh more than 125lbs. We have other pics I'm having a hard time finding with him standing beside other buck last year and he looked like a baby. A lot of mature does were his size and even bigger. If he was 3.5 years old this year he wouldn't have such a small neck. First sign of a 3 year old is the broadening of the shoulders and a more muscular neck. He has neither of those. His legs also appear very very long still which is a big indicator of a 2 year old.

I hope you get the chance to get a tooth sent out. Would be interesting for sure.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
That's a lot of antler for a 1.5, I like to guess too. I am gonna guess his first rack was actually a spike.

Reactions: Tuna_

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I agree with you yellodog ! That's a 3.5 year old
Zjheeter that’s a sweet buck and I hope we get to hear about a legacy story with him.

I have to agree after seeing those bottom two pictures. If that’s a 2.5 y/o in PA then call me a monkey’s uncle!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That's a lot of antler for a 1.5, I like to guess too. I am gonna guess his first rack was actually a spike.
Agreed. This buck is 3.5 without a doubt.

ZJ, ain't no way I'd be taking a gamble on letting a unique buck like that live another year. Any run of the mill 3.5 year old, sure, but goofy racked deer don't pop up too often.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We must have good genetics because we rarely have spike bucks on camera. 4 points are rare too. We don't see many of them. We typically have tiny basket rack 8 points.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts