The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
20,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autumn is my favorite time of year. The cool weather, the beautiful day's, the changing leaf color, and ample outdoor opportunities. So many that it becomes hard to choose when you enjoy most all of them. This year hasn't been so tricky and as I've mentioned before I'm spending a lot more time on the water this October. Ive only deer hunted once and duck hunted twice thus far. Conversely I've trout fished 15 times this month already. I'm having such a good time this year that I simply don't want to put the fishing rod down.

The first half of October was rather unseasonably warm and that extended the warm weather action a bit longer than I'd expected it to last. It was nice catching a lot of fish but at the same time October is supposed to be cooler and the leaves are supposed to he colorful and changing. That was slow to develop and I found myself in shorts and short sleeves a lot at first. The end of last week the weather changed a bit and we finally had nights in the 40s. With that I decided to take a few days off and do an overnight stay in central PA to fish some of our most famous and popular trout destinations.

On Friday Oct 21st I left my house at 4:30 AM With a nice cup of coffee and a 3 hour long Joe rogan Podcast to keep me company. Both of which passed the time very well. The trip took me about 2 hours and 40 minutes but I arrived right on time shortly before sunrise. I chained my bike to a tree way up stream and shot back down several miles to my usual starting spot. When I left my house the air temperature was a comfortable 54゚ but as I pulled into my parking spot I looked down to see a very chilly 42. As I say quite often it's very chilly where trout live typically. My expectations were tempered considering the low airtime but to my pleasant surprise I missed a fish on my 2nd cast and reeled in my 1st wild brown just a few casts later. Maybe things were looking up!

Water Salmon-like fish Fish Watercourse Brown trout

I much prefer to fish in cloudy weather. There's no doubt that trout are far more active doing conditions like that, but when it comes to Pa's northwoods in the fall it's hard to beat a nice Sunny morning.

Water Plant Sky Fluvial landforms of streams Larch

Action continued to be steady. While not great, steady is all I need and after 2 hours of fishing I had 28 trout on my clicker. I had all day to fish so I was having an absolutely phenomenal time catching nicer than average wild brown from most likely looking spots. I hadn't seen any large fish yet when I came to an innocent enough run and made a cast into the head of it. A violent strike 2 cranks in let me know that I was hooked into a nicer than average fish. The turbulent flows made it tricky to corral this fish but eventually I scooped up the 17 and a 1/2 inch wild brown to admire.

Water Salmon-like fish Fisherman Oncorhynchus Outdoor recreation

Things continued at a steady pace all the way up to my bike. I had never really fished past this location and decided to explore a little bit further. As I slid upstream a little further a mature American bald eagle startled me when it hopped out of a tree very nearby. Their sheer size never ceases to amaze me. I've seen more bald eagles this year than I ever have, most likely because I've been fishing more but their numbers are ever increasing.

For years a super long pool has been my ending spot because I figured the water was just slow above that but today I walked around the bend to see a lovely section of riffles upstream that I had never seen before so curiosity took me right up to them. Clearly this area doesn't get fished nearly as often as some of the other water as I was getting strikes on what seemed like nearly every cast and all the sudden I went from catching trout at a steady pace to a completely ridiculous pace.

Water Salmon-like fish Fish Brown trout Fisherman

Excellent habitat abound

Water Water resources Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape

I crossed well over 100 trout in no time as I continued further and further away from my bike. I knew my walk was getting longer and longer but I just couldn't pull myself away from the action. Eventually I came to a spot where the stream was getting very small and I decided that was as good a time as any to jump out and get moving back to my bike which took me about 40 minutes to reach. Once I got to my bike I rode back to my truck and scarfed down a quick sandwich. It was 3:30 so I still had a little time left before dusk. I jumped back on my bike and rode downstream from my truck a little and finished my day after 10 hours of fishing catching 192 trout.
I saw several other anglers which is not normal for me but you guys that fish in that area out there certainly fish in a different social environment than the rest of us around the state. Not a single one of the flyfisherman I crossed paths with would say hello me. They were clearly and openly disgusted that I was fishing their fabled water with spinning gear. It was sad because I gave each of them a very pleasant "How ya doing bud!" And each one turned away from me after mutter a very quiet "hey" and not another word. Why flyfisherman treat other anglers so poorly is one of the biggest mysteries in fishing. Not so ironically the only other fisherman to be pleasant to me on the day was a friendly followed that offered me a lift back to my truck as I was very near where my bike was stashed. I wasn't very surprised to see a spinning rod sitting on the seat next to him as he drove off after I politely thanked him for the offer but declined because I was right at my bike. He was probably overjoyed to see someone that wasn't gonna look down on him for doing something he enjoys. Rude people don't bother me that much though. My parents raised me to be polite until it's time to not be polite so I just say hi and move off if guys wanna be a jerks about trivial stuff. Wasn't gonna let it impact my time outdoors. Thankfully the vast majority of the fly anglers that I encounter during a year are very approachable folks. it's just the community that fishes the famous waters. There an odd bunch lol.

See part 2 next.....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Autumn is my favorite time of year. The cool weather, the beautiful day's, the changing leaf color, and ample outdoor opportunities. So many that it becomes hard to choose when you enjoy most all of them. This year hasn't been so tricky and as I've mentioned before I'm spending a lot more time on the water this October. Ive only deer hunted once and duck hunted twice thus far. Conversely I've trout fished 15 times this month already. I'm having such a good time this year that I simply don't want to put the fishing rod down.

The first half of October was rather unseasonably warm and that extended the warm weather action a bit longer than I'd expected it to last. It was nice catching a lot of fish but at the same time October is supposed to be cooler and the leaves are supposed to he colorful and changing. That was slow to develop and I found myself in shorts and short sleeves a lot at first. The end of last week the weather changed a bit and we finally had nights in the 40s. With that I decided to take a few days off and do an overnight stay in central PA to fish some of our most famous and popular trout destinations.

On Friday Oct 21st I left my house at 4:30 AM With a nice cup of coffee and a 3 hour long Joe rogan Podcast to keep me company. Both of which passed the time very well. The trip took me about 2 hours and 40 minutes but I arrived right on time shortly before sunrise. I chained my bike to a tree way up stream and shot back down several miles to my usual starting spot. When I left my house the air temperature was a comfortable 54゚ but as I pulled into my parking spot I looked down to see a very chilly 42. As I say quite often it's very chilly where trout live typically. My expectations were tempered considering the low airtime but to my pleasant surprise I missed a fish on my 2nd cast and reeled in my 1st wild brown just a few casts later. Maybe things were looking up!

View attachment 175102

I much prefer to fish in cloudy weather. There's no doubt that trout are far more active doing conditions like that, but when it comes to Pa's northwoods in the fall it's hard to beat a nice Sunny morning.

View attachment 175103

Action continued to be steady. While not great, steady is all I need and after 2 hours of fishing I had 28 trout on my clicker. I had all day to fish so I was having an absolutely phenomenal time catching nicer than average wild brown from most likely looking spots. I hadn't seen any large fish yet when I came to an innocent enough run and made a cast into the head of it. A violent strike 2 cranks in let me know that I was hooked into a nicer than average fish. The turbulent flows made it tricky to corral this fish but eventually I scooped up the 17 and a 1/2 inch wild brown to admire.

View attachment 175104

Things continued at a steady pace all the way up to my bike. I had never really fished past this location and decided to explore a little bit further. As I slid upstream a little further a mature American bald eagle startled me when it hopped out of a tree very nearby. Their sheer size never ceases to amaze me. I've seen more bald eagles this year than I ever have, most likely because I've been fishing more but their numbers are ever increasing.

For years a super long pool has been my ending spot because I figured the water was just slow above that but today I walked around the bend to see a lovely section of riffles upstream that I had never seen before so curiosity took me right up to them. Clearly this area doesn't get fished nearly as often as some of the other water as I was getting strikes on what seemed like nearly every cast and all the sudden I went from catching trout at a steady pace to a completely ridiculous pace.

View attachment 175105

Excellent habitat abound

View attachment 175106

I crossed well over 100 trout in no time as I continued further and further away from my bike. I knew my walk was getting longer and longer but I just couldn't pull myself away from the action. Eventually I came to a spot where the stream was getting very small and I decided that was as good a time as any to jump out and get moving back to my bike which took me about 40 minutes to reach. Once I got to my bike I rode back to my truck and scarfed down a quick sandwich. It was 3:30 so I still had a little time left before dusk. I jumped back on my bike and rode downstream from my truck a little and finished my day after 10 hours of fishing catching 192 trout.
I saw several other anglers which is not normal for me but you guys that fish in that area out there certainly fish in a different social environment than the rest of us around the state. Not a single one of the flyfisherman I crossed paths with would say hello me. They were clearly and openly disgusted that I was fishing their fabled water with spinning gear. It was sad because I gave each of them a very pleasant "How ya doing bud!" And each one turned away from me after mutter a very quiet "hey" and not another word. Why flyfisherman treat other anglers so poorly is one of the biggest mysteries in fishing. Not so ironically the only other fisherman to be pleasant to me on the day was a friendly followed that offered me a lift back to my truck as I was very near where my bike was stashed. I wasn't very surprised to see a spinning rod sitting on the seat next to him as he drove off after I politely thanked him for the offer but declined because I was right at my bike. He was probably overjoyed to see someone that wasn't gonna look down on him for doing something he enjoys. Rude people don't bother me that much though. My parents raised me to be polite until it's time to not be polite so I just say hi and move off if guys wanna be a jerks about trivial stuff. Wasn't gonna let it impact my time outdoors. Thankfully the vast majority of the fly anglers that I encounter during a year are very approachable folks. it's just the community that fishes the famous waters. There an odd bunch lol.

See part 2 next.....

View attachment 175102

View attachment 175103

View attachment 175104

View attachment 175105

Excellent habitat abound

View attachment 175106

See part 2 next.....
Way back when I first started my father and me used to go to a small Bedford county stream that had a bridge just like the one here. He used to say, "lets go down to the swinging bridge to fish."
That was 60 yrs ago, dad is gone now but had some great memories from back then. As soon as I saw this I must admit a got a little chill because this is one of the places it started for me. I always look forward to your post and pictures. Thanks for doing this.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Autumn is my favorite time of year. The cool weather, the beautiful days, the changing leaf color, and ample outdoor opportunities. So many that it becomes hard to choose when you enjoy most all of them. This year hasn't been so tricky and as I've mentioned before I'm spending a lot more time on the water this October. Ive only deer hunted once and duck hunted twice thus far. Conversely I've trout fished 15 times this month already. I'm having such a good time this year that I simply don't want to put the fishing rod down.

On Friday Oct 21st I left my house at 4:30 AM With a nice cup of coffee and a 3 hour long Joe Rogan Podcast to keep me company. Both of which passed the time very well. The trip took me about 2 hours and 40 minutes but I arrived right on time shortly before sunrise. I chained my bike to a tree way up stream and shot back down several miles to my usual starting spot. When I left my house the air temperature was a comfortable 54゚ but as I pulled into my parking spot I looked down to see a very chilly 42. As I say quite often it's very chilly where trout live typically. My expectations were tempered considering the low airtime but to my pleasant surprise I missed a fish on my 2nd cast and reeled in my 1st wild brown just a few casts later. Maybe things were looking up!

View attachment 175102

I much prefer to fish in cloudy weather. There's no doubt that trout are far more active doing conditions like that, but when it comes to PA's northwoods in the fall it's hard to beat a nice sunny morning.

View attachment 175103

Action continued to be steady. While not great, steady is all I need and after 2 hours of fishing I had 28 trout on my clicker. I had all day to fish so I was having an absolutely phenomenal time catching nicer than average wild brown from most likely looking spots. I hadn't seen any large fish yet when I came to an innocent enough run and made a cast into the head of it. A violent strike 2 cranks in let me know that I was hooked into a nicer than average fish. The turbulent flows made it tricky to corral this fish but eventually I scooped up the 17 1/2 inch wild brown to admire.

View attachment 175104

View attachment 175105

Excellent habitat abounds

View attachment 175106

I saw several other anglers which is not normal for me but you guys that fish in that area there certainly fish in a different social environment than the rest of us around the state. Not a single one of the fly fishermen I crossed paths with would say hello to me. They were clearly and openly disgusted that I was fishing their fabled water with spinning gear. It was sad because I gave each of them a very pleasant "How ya doing bud!" And each one turned away from me after muttering a very quiet "Hey" and not another word. Why fly fishermen treat other anglers so poorly is one of the biggest mysteries in fishing. Not so ironically the only other fisherman to be pleasant to me on the day was friendly and offered me a lift back to my truck as I was very near where my bike was stashed. I wasn't very surprised to see a spinning rod sitting on the seat next to him as he drove off after I politely thanked him for the offer but declined because I was right at my bike. He was probably overjoyed to see someone that wasn't gonna look down on him for doing something he enjoys. Rude people don't bother me that much though. My parents raised me to be polite until it's time to not be polite so I just say "Hi" and move off if guys wanna be a jerks about trivial stuff. Wasn't gonna let it impact my time outdoors. Thankfully the vast majority of the fly anglers that I encounter during a year are very approachable folks. it's just the community that fishes the famous waters. They’re an odd bunch lol.

See part 2 next.....
Great action and beautiful trout!

Unfortunately, I found encountered similar behavior from some fly fishers (not all) where you were fishing. They diminish themselves by acting the way they do when they look down their nose at people who don't fish the way they do.

Reactions: 3mile

·
20,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The next morning found me up brite and early headed to my next victim . In my opinion this is probably the most famous trout stream in Pennsylvania if not the most famous trout stream on this planet lol. You could tell too by the sheer number of other fishermen I encountered during the day. For a weekday it wasn't something that I was used to seeing.

I arrived well before daylight and started my hike to my starting spot well downstream. I pay attention to posts from other anglers so I figured I needed to be early in order to have a good experience at this spot due to it's popularity. I finally waded into the slippery creek around 7:30am under very cloudy skies which I knew would work in my favor. At 1st the fishing wasn't very good but the scenery was absolutely stunning.

Water Sky Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Tree

I wasn't catching many fish and after the 1st hour I had 7 trout on my clicker. They were spaced out just enough to occupy my attention and the fear of a long walk back and an unknown plan B kept me going for at least a little while longer.

Water Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Fisherman Tree

No doubt many other spin fishermen had been here recently and that's just the way it goes when you're fishing a very popular destination. At the beginning of hour 3 a switch flipped and the fishing started to really pick up. I was relieved because I was just getting ready to pull the plug and head out. Hour number 3 produced 24 trout and hour 4 a similar total.

Water Plant Tree Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

The highlight of the day for me was when I came I'm upon a cabin with a few folks sitting around a fire along a nice long riffle in front of it. I absolutely pounded the trout out of this stretch for a good 25 minutes and had these 3 gentlemen just standing there at the river's edge watching me catch a trout every 2 minutes. They were hooting and hollering and it was a lot of fun to entertain them on this chilly morning. Events got a little more crazy when a fly fisherman came up next to me and didn't acknowledge me as usual after I said hello, He then proceeded to walk 25 yds upstream of me and hop into the pool right ahead of the rifle I was fishing. I wasn't bothered as I was gonna skip ahead of that pool anyways. It gets even better.....the guy made one single cast and hooked into a giant 20" plus fish right in front of the cabin! He landed that fish with the guys watching in anticipation. When you combine all of that activity it must have been one heck of a morning for those gentlemen enjoying the fire lol. I'd caught plenty of big fish this year so I just jumped out of the water and got moving upstream to my next spot. Shortly after that I was overrun by other fly fisherman, mergansers, and great blue herons and just like that my mojo was gone. I had trouble catching any more fish at all over the next hour and a 1/2 and by lunch time I knew it was time to cut bait and get out of there. I learned a lot about fishing this location and will make some adjustments in the future that will no doubt pay dividends but for today I made a few tactical errors that I won't repeat in the future. I ran off to plan B but on my way out I stopped at what I considered to be one of the most amazing views Pennsylvania has the offer.

Sky Cloud Mountain Natural landscape Slope

On my way to plan B I drove along a creek that I had spent very little time on in the past and in fact only fished it once for 5 minutes about 27 years ago. I hopped out of my truck with great anticipation because the water looked so excellent. Thankfully the fishing was equally excellent and I caught over 30 trout in short order to finish my day at 113 trout before heading back to Eastern PA.

Water Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape Tree

Water Vertebrate Plant Salmon-like fish Fisherman

It was a very satisfying 2 and a 1/2 hour ride home. I enjoy testing my skill set on streams that get heavier pressure than I typically encounter. It ends up that I found out shortly thereafter that a fellow spin fisherman had fished the exact same stretch I fished on the day prior. No doubt that impacted my success but that's the way it goes and I'm glad that he had a nice time the day before. It's interesting to learn how trout react to pressure on certain creeks. All in all a fantastic autumn central PA visit though. Well worth the time.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The next morning found me up bright and early headed to my next victim. In my opinion this is probably the most famous trout stream in Pennsylvania if not the most famous trout stream on this planet lol. You could tell too by the sheer number of other fishermen I encountered during the day. For a weekday it wasn't something that I was used to seeing.

I arrived well before daylight and started my hike to my starting spot well downstream. I pay attention to posts from other anglers so I figured I needed to be early in order to have a good experience at this spot due to its popularity. I finally waded into the slippery creek around 7:30am under very cloudy skies which I knew would work in my favor. At 1st the fishing wasn't very good but the scenery was absolutely stunning.

View attachment 175107

I wasn't catching many fish and after the 1st hour I had 7 trout on my clicker. They were spaced out just enough to occupy my attention and the fear of a long walk back and an unknown plan B kept me going for at least a little while longer.

View attachment 175108

No doubt many other spin fishermen had been here recently and that's just the way it goes when you're fishing a very popular destination. At the beginning of hour 3 a switch flipped and the fishing started to really pick up. I was relieved because I was just getting ready to pull the plug and head out. Hour number 3 produced 24 trout and hour 4 a similar total.

View attachment 175109

The highlight of the day for me was when I came I'm upon a cabin with a few folks sitting around a fire along a nice long riffle in front of it. I absolutely pounded the trout out of this stretch for a good 25 minutes and had these 3 gentlemen just standing there at the river's edge watching me catch a trout every 2 minutes. They were hooting and hollering and it was a lot of fun to entertain them on this chilly morning. Events got a little more crazy when a fly fisherman came up next to me and didn't acknowledge me as usual after I said hello. He then proceeded to walk 25 yds. upstream of me and hop into the pool right ahead of the rifle I was fishing. I wasn't bothered as I was gonna skip ahead of that pool anyway. It gets even better.....the guy made one single cast and hooked into a giant 20" plus fish right in front of the cabin! He landed that fish with the guys watching in anticipation. When you combine all of that activity it must have been one heck of a morning for those gentlemen enjoying the fire lol. I'd caught plenty of big fish this year so I just jumped out of the water and got moving upstream to my next spot. Shortly after that I was overrun by other fly fishermen, mergansers, and great blue herons, and just like that my mojo was gone. I had trouble catching any more fish at all over the next hour and a 1/2 and by lunch time I knew it was time to cut bait and get out of there. I learned a lot about fishing this location and will make some adjustments in the future that will no doubt pay dividends, but for today I made a few tactical errors that I won't repeat in the future. I ran off to plan B but on my way out I stopped at what I considered to be one of the most amazing views Pennsylvania has the offer.

View attachment 175110

On my way to plan B I drove along a creek that I had spent very little time on in the past and in fact only fished it once for 5 minutes about 27 years ago. I hopped out of my truck with great anticipation because the water looked so excellent. Thankfully the fishing was equally excellent and I caught over 30 trout in short order to finish my day at 113 trout before heading back to Eastern PA.

View attachment 175111

View attachment 175112

It was a very satisfying 2 1/2 hour ride home. I enjoy testing my skill set on streams that get heavier pressure than I typically encounter. It ends up that I found out shortly thereafter that a fellow spin fisherman had fished the exact same stretch I fished on the day prior. No doubt that impacted my success but that's the way it goes and I'm glad that he had a nice time the day before. It's interesting to learn how trout react to pressure on certain creeks. All in all a fantastic autumn central PA visit though. Well worth the time.
Great fishing and superb pictures! Thanks for sharing!

·
20,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Love your write ups but the negative comments grouping all fly fishermen makes it less enjoyable.

"Thankfully the vast majority of the fly anglers that I encounter during a year are very approachable folks. it's just the community that fishes the famous waters. There an odd bunch lol."

I'll respectfully disagree that I characterize all flyfisherman negatively. I specifically took care not too simply cause most are friendly open minded guys and girls. That's not the case at certain locations though. That's just the way it is. The vast majority of flyfishers are cool folks though. I fly fish myself and I'm super cool ;-)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
"Thankfully the vast majority of the fly anglers that I encounter during a year are very approachable folks. it's just the community that fishes the famous waters. There an odd bunch lol."

I'll respectfully disagree that I characterize all flyfisherman negatively. I specifically took care not too simply cause most are friendly open minded guys and girls. That's not the case at certain locations though. That's just the way it is. The vast majority of flyfishers are cool folks though. I fly fish myself and I'm super cool ;-)
thanks for the clarification…

tight lines.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Zak - Some good stuff right there! Unfortunately, I feel that 90% of my encounters with flyfishers (regardless of the stream) are very similar to what you described above, which is totally unnecessary, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd love to come fishing with you one time. I wouldn't even bring a rod. Just stay far enough off the bank to make sure I didn't cast a shadow, and watch you do your thing! I know of nobody who catches fish like you!

·
20,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would insist that you fish if it's all the same with you haha. Next year I'd like to start fishing with some other guys. This year has been a very solitary campaign and there's a story behind that but next year I'd like to do some other stuff and create some different stories.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts