The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nice find there doug, the problem I have with sheepheads is cleaning them. I have found quite a few of them in the past few years, but, they are always gritty when I eat them. I can't seem to get all the dirt out of them. How do you guys prepare yours?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I soak them in the washtub in cold salt water overnight. The salt brings out any bugs that are hiding in it. The next day when I take them out, I have a short hose on the laundry tub and I spray them off real good and set them on a towel to dry for a few hours. I break them up on the cutting board into the size of pieces I want to eat and then you can see any dirt that is left on them and wipe it with a paper towel or if it's too bad, you can scrape them with a knife blade. Bring a pot of water to a boil, drop them in for 3 minutes and immediately place in ice water for 3 minutes to cool. Spread them out, let them dry again and then you can cook them how you want or freeze them. I had one that was pretty wet, so I spread them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven on 350 for about 10 minutes and it seemed to dry them pretty good without cooking them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about the picture being so big. It isn't that size on the site it's linked to. Can anyone tell me how to shrink it?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Excellent find - no luck around here yet, though I am keeping my eyes peeled!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We were up in Clarion County for a few days over the weekend and found a lot more. Only 6 were still good but I know where they will be next year and I'll be there on time to get them next year! A friend of ours stopped last week and showed us what the Papinky's look like but he only had a small group of them, he said he waited too long to go looking for them but while we were out looking for the sheep heads I found him about 6 lbs. He was so excited when I called to tell him but he had to wait 2 days for me to bring them home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts