The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a gun that has interested me for along time. For those that don't know it's both a rifle and shotgun. The thought of having both a rifle and a shotgun in one seems like it will fit my hunting style. I like to go on long walks and often see a wide variety of game.

So I began looking into them. I decided that a .22wmr over a 20 ga would cover a very wide range and I have experience with both and find them to be up to the task this gun will be used for.

So after reading about them and hearing all the praise and hatred some have for them I was armed with the info to go find one..

Well one day my dream gun was offered up to me by a HPA member and after many emails and PMs and a real nice 6 hour drive through the hills of PA the gun is safely locked away in my safe. I can't thank Smage1 enough for his help

We did shoot it a few times yesterday just to make sure all was well, and I plan to shoot it a lot more before season to make sure both it and me are ready for the season this year.

So let's here you thoughts on these guns and even see some pictures.

Here's a few shots of mine, these are the ones that were taking before I bought it. I haven't gotten a chance to take more pictures

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I had one in .22lr over .410 many years ago. I took it out for some groundhogs on a walk we used to take. I shot at and hit 3 hogs but did not anchor any of them (young kid mistake) so on way backto car said first $40 takes this gun. My buddy told mer to wait a minute when I dropped him off and cameoutof house with $40. Had to sell and still regret shooting off my big mouth.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Very nice and I am jealous! I have wanted one for years but with a .222 on top of a 20 ga. You have a very nice set up there and all the best shooting it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I bought one in .22WM over 20 ga. 3" many years ago. I put a Weaver 1-4 wide angle scope on top. It likes .22 WMR in rifle barrel, and W-W #6 3in. mags on bottom. You need to pattern it at 50 yds, put the rifle shots on dead center, then determine how low the shot will fall, which determines your hold over. I have shot groundhogs, squirrels, foxes, and doves with it, but never a turkey. I have a guy bugging me to sell it right now, but I'm not ready.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I have a 24. It is a .222/20. I love mine and use it alot. Just refinished the stock on it last winter. It wears a 3-9x Compact Leupold. I am currently shooting 55 grain Hornady SP's out of it at around 3000 fps. If you're thinking of hunting turkeys with yours I would recommend considering a screw in choke tube system. Mine doesn't pattern great for turkeys with the factory choke even though I've shot a few with it. A turkey choke would pattern much better IMO and I'm gonna get one put on it shortly. If you were hunting something other than turkeys, you could screw in another tube. It just seems to me that with a scope you want as tight a pattern as possible. As it is I get my best patterns with Winchester XX number 6. I would also shoot your gun up close with the rifle and shotgun to see where it hits. With the scope mounted as high as it is, the shotgun pattern hits a little low out to say 20 yards. After that it's not really noticeable. Not low enough to miss, but low enough to put a marginal hit on something. Finally, I'd recommend a sling. Almost all 24's I've seen do not have a sling. If you're carrying a turkey out, the sling makes it a little easier. I've probably shot around 20 turkeys with mine. They are great for that purpose. I am certain you will enjoy that gun.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a little shooting yesterday and the .22 wmr barrel is a tack driver and the shotgun at 30 yds is perfect. Gonna make for a real sweet set up

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
mine is a old .22/410.the barrel selector is on the side of the reciever,not on the hammer.it has no serial number on it.i brazed the front sight on it since it liked to move around when i carried it.it is my primary coon hunting rig,and my primary bunny buster!

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to mention I didn't buy the scope. I plan to use open sights though i May look into a peep.

·
Registered
18,455 Posts
That gun is WAY prettier than the one I had. Mine had a matte finish and a camo synthetic forearm/stock.
I purchased a Savage 24F some years back for coyote. Used it one season, hated it. Mine was a .223 over a 12ga 3". The trigger pull felt like it was 20lbs, the selector switch on the hammer was difficult to operate with gloved hands but the big problem was the POI. When using my scope I had to aim at least a foot and a half high when using my shotgun barrel. Trying doing that at a running critter.
Then alot of manufactures started coming out with 3 1/2" mag shotguns. I purchased a Mossberg 835 and that enabled me to kill a yote out to almost 60yds. Which was plenty for me especially when running hounds. A few years back I purchased a CZ 527 American in 22 Hornet which I use as a combo caliber for fox/yotes when calling. I still use my scattergun (I also picked up a Benelli SBE 2) for predators 80% of the time however.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a Model 24 in 222/20 gauge when I was a kid and traded it away. Regretted it ever since.

Then last year my uncle gave me the one he inherited from my grandfather...a Model 24b 22wmr/20 gauge. I'm never letting this one go.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
beagler said:
That gun is WAY prettier than the one I had. Mine had a matte finish and a camo synthetic forearm/stock.
I purchased a Savage 24F some years back for coyote. Used it one season, hated it. Mine was a .223 over a 12ga 3". The trigger pull felt like it was 20lbs, the selector switch on the hammer was difficult to operate with gloved hands but the big problem was the POI. When using my scope I had to aim at least a foot and a half high when using my shotgun barrel. Trying doing that at a running critter.
Then alot of manufactures started coming out with 3 1/2" mag shotguns. I purchased a Mossberg 835 and that enabled me to kill a yote out to almost 60yds. Which was plenty for me especially when running hounds. A few years back I purchased a CZ 527 American in 22 Hornet which I use as a combo caliber for fox/yotes when calling. I still use my scattergun (I also picked up a Benelli SBE 2) for predators 80% of the time however.
I bought a 24F in 22 hornet and 3" 12 ga. The rifle was accurate but I had the same problem with the shotgun. It shot about 2 foot low at 20-25 yards. I bought it for fall turkey hunting. It was very heavy and the finish was terrible. I sold it and lucked into a Ithaca-Tikka LSA 55 222 rem/12 ga. at a decent price. It remains my primary fall turkey gun. The POI is right on with both the rifle and the shotgun. I have killed several fall turkeys with it.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The great thing about the older models is they only weigh 6.5 pounds

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Tater,
It sounds like you still like that 24 so post some more range pics when you get them. What type of aperture sight are you thinking about getting? Think about a DYS trigger job or get your GS to do one for you. If you follow the guide on 24 web site and only take a SMALL amount of material off B4 U try it it will work for you.
Smage

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I had a .222 over 20 with see-thru mounts and a 3X9 scope. I used the open sights for the shotgun barrel and sighted the scope in for the .222. Sold it to my brother and between us we have shot groundhogs, squirrels, and atleast 1 turkey. $116 new when I got it!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I've got 2 of them. One is a real pretty 22 over 20 guage. Only shot that one a few times. To pretty to abuse that one.
The second one is 30-30 over 12 guage. With high rise mounts, a descent scope and red light on top. It is my predator killing gun. I'm shooting 223 bullets with sabots at about 4,100 fps. 3 in. Dead coyote with a full choke.
Shotgun is good to about 60 yards. Rifle is dead on zoroed at 150 yards and about 1 inch low at 250.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts