The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a kid in North Eastern Pa I always enjoyed fishing on the ponds and you would hear and see the Red Winged Black Birds sitting on the cattails...

I moved recently I have heard the Red Wing Blackbirds around my house... They are easy to ID by their sound...I started to think there must be a pretty big pond close by... Right over the hill is a horse farm so I'm assuming that is where the big pond must be..

Two days ago I look out and there it was a Red Wing Black bird in a tree... So I knew I heard them...Yep I need to check my own area out for the water source..

Unless they can be seen anywhere other than around water...

Why some would find this topic as blaw... When you experience things like this when your fishing. You remember it and think good things..

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
Yes. There is a small pond below my place and we get the Red wings at the feeders. Their arrival here is my first real sign of spring. First one was about three weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
i have some that were hitting my birdfeeders. there is a stream down over the hill from the house but dont know if they like moving water. took my feeder down yesterday and one blackbird landed on the porch looking for the feeder. it went back and forth on the bannister hunting for that feeder. same with a chipmunk this morning. was funny watching them when they couldnt find it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts