The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Whats wrong with the way he is dressed? Is it a fashion thing for you guys? Does he need a tie or something? >:)Or is it because he is not in camo? Camo is not necessary for hunting anything. My son in law killed a nice 9 point with his bow this year wearing a blue sweatshirt.

I don't even own camo hunting clothes. Guess we wouldn't pass the dress code at you guys camp.:grin2:

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Some will be offended by the OP but I think it’s pretty funny. I looked the part this bow season but only have a miserable tree stand selfie to show for it . I was freezing that day ! Meanwhile I saw countless success pictures this season of all ages . From little kids to women in their 70’s with bucks I would of shot in a heartbeat. I swear one kid was posing with a crossbow that was as big as he was. All you can do is laugh. I will say one thing and that is never judge a book by its cover. Just because a guy doesn’t look the part doesn’t mean he is not a great hunter and the opposite could be said for some individuals sporting the latest and greatest gear .

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
If that guy shoots the monster buck I've been hunting all bow season, it will be because he was in the right place at the right time.

All hunting and even fishing is like that. You can be the most prepared guy in the woods but if the weather conditions and winds are not so good it will effect your hunt. Right time and place, and maybe a little luck as well.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some will be offended by the OP but I think it’s pretty funny. I looked the part this bow season but only have a miserable tree stand selfie to show for it . I was freezing that day ! Meanwhile I saw countless success pictures this season of all ages . From little kids to women in their 70’s with bucks I would of shot in a heartbeat. I swear one kid was posing with a crossbow that was as big as he was. All you can do is laugh. I will say one thing and that is never judge a book by its cover. Just because a guy doesn’t look the part doesn’t mean he is not a great hunter and the opposite could be said for some individuals sporting the latest and greatest gear .
It's all in good fun and not meant to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
It’s funny and true.

The reality of gun season on public land is that all the scouting and preparation in the world cannot account for the variables that aren’t in your control. There’s just too many guys in the woods and the deer will not do what you think they will.

It has happened to me too many times to count. I’ve patterned a buck, gotten tons of trail cam pics of him, snuck into his core area, etc and couldn’t get things to fall together. Along comes gun season and some guy who had no clue that deer was there, stumbles into the woods at 9, hung over, smoking a cigarette and shoots him 50 yards from the road...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Whats wrong with the way he is dressed? Is it a fashion thing for you guys? Does he need a tie or something? >:)Or is it because he is not in camo? Camo is not necessary for hunting anything. My son in law killed a nice 9 point with his bow this year wearing a blue sweatshirt.

I don't even own camo hunting clothes. Guess we wouldn't pass the dress code at you guys camp.:grin2:
LOL has nothing to do with how he is dressed. (That just adds humor) The point is, many times you'll have a man/woman who literally hunts 1 or maybe 2 times a year. They will go out the first day. Not have a clue what they are doing or how to hunt. Sit at a random spot, and have a giant walk by that is pushed through by all the pressure and people putting on drives (which i think should be banned. Oh boy get the popcorn ready for that comment) and blast it. Walk up to it, have no idea what they shot or have any appreciation for the magnificent buck that defied the odds and lived to 4,5 or even 6 years old somehow in PA.

That's what that picture is implying. I could care less how you dress. (Just use scent control lol)

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Worse is the guy you can't see, giving advice and evaluating (read judging) your trailcam and success pictures on his computer, and he has killed 2 deer in his 30 year hunting career!

·
Registered
18,924 Posts
just because someone has all the latest gear doesnt man they are a better hunter, it just means they have, or spent more money than the rest of us.

tons of big bucks get killed by guys getting off work in the morning or going out after work and just grabbing their rifle, coat and boots and KER-BANG, a buck walks right to them.

i killed a nice one 4 years ago while checking tree stands late evening the first friday of rifle season, i was literally in the woods all of 35 minutes or so and i killed this one as it walked right to the last stand i was checking :) i would rather be lucky than good.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
In gun season, I seldom wear camo...usually a pair of duck cloth or denim Dickie carpenter pants, a thin wool button front shirt. and a Loden green wool jacket. If I take off my orange camo hat and vest, I blend right in with the civilian population!

The perfect outfit for driving deer in Penn's woods. Which my gang all loves to do, and start sharply at 7:00 am, the first day!

1 - 20 of 163 Posts