The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Ravin R20 to play with for a few months. Just got done getting it set up for the turkey opener then it is off to Ontario to hunt spring black bear in June. Shooting 420 feet per second in a pretty light and extremely narrow package. Here is a 40 yard group.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I have 2 friends that shoot the Ravin R15 and they absolutely love it. Only thing they do not like is having to use their proprietary bolts. Outside of that those Ravins are awesome.

·
Registered
673 Posts
With speeds around 420 fps, what kind of broad heads do you use? Do the broad heads hit the same location and group similar to field points at that speed?

·
Registered
18,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With speeds around 420 fps, what kind of broad heads do you use? Do the broad heads hit the same location and group similar to field points at that speed?

I shoot mechanicals exclusively when speeds get above 380. Right now I am getting good groups with both 2 and 3 blade Swhackers and Slick Trick Raptortricks. The Swhackers are pretty much right there with the field points. The Slick Tricks are about 1.5 inches off.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was told to stay away from Rage broad heads with the Ravin crossbow. I heard the force breaks the shock collar causing the blades to open in flight....Sounds like other mechanicals work pretty good.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
18,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was told to stay away from Rage broad heads with the Ravin crossbow. I heard the force breaks the shock collar causing the blades to open in flight....Sounds like other mechanicals work pretty good.

Thanks for the reply.
I have shot the crossbow Rages with the stiffer shock collar up to about 380 fps and they shot well. I wouldn't use the regular Rages in fast crossbows.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
that is a nice xbow for sure.. not that anything is wrong with my Parker Tornado but these and the Tenpoints are nice ... but the 5 year warranty on the limbs is a concern after shelling out $2k I assume I'm still grandfather in on the Parker lifetime warranty...

most companies now offer only the 5 years on limbs or "End of Life" warranty based on the Vendors point of view.

still pondering... I have wholesale price access for the new Tenpoints ... even still a lot of $$$

·
Registered
242 Posts
Shot slicktrick standard fixed out to 90 yards with 1 1/2 inch groups one inch right of field points. Try them but don’t shoot groups unless you like buying arrows.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I also picked up an Raven R20. Due to the injuries I received from a vehicle crash last June I will never be able to draw my compound. The R20 is wicked fast and I have been shooting out to 50 yds preparing for a Idaho in September. Slick Trick 100gn are spot on.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also picked up an Raven R20. Due to the injuries I received from a vehicle crash last June I will never be able to draw my compound. The R20 is wicked fast and I have been shooting out to 50 yds preparing for a Idaho in September. Slick Trick 100gn are spot on.
Which Slick Trick are you shooting? I have been shooting their new mechanical RaptorTrick.

·
Registered
18,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been shooting the 100 and 125 gn Mags with great results. That cross bow is hard on my targets..
Good to know that fixed heads are flying out of that bow well. I haven't shot any fixed heads yet. Yes, fast bows are hard on targets and arrow vanes.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The best groups I have seen out of my R-15 were shot with Magnus Stinger broadheads. I can literally place the arrow in the same hole at 45 yards. I tried G-5 Striker, Ramcats, Rage, Shwacker G5 Montec and several Wasp.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
i've been eying these up i love the stock design. I don't care much for that boney cheek mount that's on most TenPoints and Excalibur's

Question? is there any major advantage of the models R10 R15 R20 ? being that the R10 is the least expensive. and what happens after 5 years ? any one have a repair cost break down?

Thanks
NR

·
Registered
233 Posts
Im looking into ravin r20 sniper, I have watched you tube videos. But what do you think your longest distance shot you will take when hunting? I mean do you really think people feel comfortable shooting a deer at 100 yards?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts