The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main goal this summer is to land 100 smallmouth out of the local creek .. I post summaries of most of my outings on here quite a bit obviously, but I decided to just do one single thread now.. I'll update it along the way with stories and pictures in hopes to reach 100 before archery takes over...

So I went out this morning .. The water temp was down and the fish weren't biting.. I fished from 730 till 1030. I fished three separate stretches of the creek... The first turned up nothing.. I had two hits in the second.. And right before I left the last one I landed this tank .. I am now at 30/100...

y387/mitchweller33/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8f95c7a4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[.photobucket.com/user/mitchweller33/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb1f1344d.jpg.html]
[/URL]

16 inches 2.5 lbs

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to go out last evening after work.. The first hole I was fishing produced 5 hits but I wasnt able to hook any of them unfortunately... I only really fished one more hole and caught 2 small ones out of it.. Caught three total on the night, none had any size to them.. I was dealing with my line spinning throughout the whole time and I blame that for so many of the missed fish.. I feel like they were missing the hook when hitting the bait.. I am going to try out swivels next time out to see if that helps any, but if anyone has any other tips I would appreciate hearing them.. At one point I had one of those moments.. I was sitting there, sweating my butt off, getting eaten alive, glasses fogged up, allergies killing me, and continuously missing fish.. I was about to flip out.. and then I realized , wait, I am out here to avoid all of life's stress... I almost stopped having fun ... I thought about it, thought how greatful I was to be in the beautiful creek.. And continued on my way in a much better mood.. Up to 33 as of yesterday..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey Mitch

If your fishing with plastics you may need a larger sized wide gap hook. I've had trouble hooking fish and that solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now I am using a size 4 Aberdeen panfish hook.. I will definitely try your suggestion.. Thanks for the tip!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
And....along with the 3/0 or 4/0 EWG hooks, get yourself a couple packs of 4" or 5" senko style baits in green pumpkin and black. I also suggest a couple packs of Zoom Super Flukes. Those 2 baits will up your catches. Fish the senko style baits with a controlled drift, lift and fall. Work the flukes with short, sharp, jerks to act like a fleeing or wounded baitfish.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,554 Posts
bassnleo said:
And....along with the 3/0 or 4/0 EWG hooks, get yourself a couple packs of 4" or 5" senko style baits in green pumpkin and black. I also suggest a couple packs of Zoom Super Flukes. Those 2 baits will up your catches. Fish the senko style baits with a controlled drift, lift and fall. Work the flukes with short, sharp, jerks to act like a fleeing or wounded baitfish.
Good advice but don't forget Tubes.
They are a Smallmouth killer for me.
I lean towards green pumkin and motor oil colors.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to go out again this morning and had the time to do some serious fishing..I have been having trouble with my line twisting lately and couldn't figure out how to avoid it.. I ended up just putting new line on and that did the trick...I went to a new spot on the creek that I had not fished yet this year.. It produced two.. The first one was 7 inches, but the second one was the biggest of the day..

The fishing was slow there though so I went back upstream to a stretch that I have fished some this summer, however I continued further down than usual and it produced results.. I caught 10 in this 1/2 mile stretch and had a few more on.. one was small, 4 were 12-14 range and surprisingly 5 were 15+.. So the total on the day was 12.. A new high for me.. I was really happy I was able to get out this morning and now I wait until the next occasion.. Here are some of the bigger ones..

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Have you tried any Thomas double blade gold spinners for them? I hammer the smallies really well with them in the river by me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I have been real successful with the rubber worms, but I'll give those a try as well.. Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
WOW Mich. Looks like a banner day. If I get one 15 incher per trip I'm happy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rick, I was pretty surprised at the consistency in which the bigger ones were hitting.. I was also using mostly a 4 inch worm until the end to just catch as many as possible.. The fact that the bigs ones were hitting it as well was a nice surprise.. Today was easily the best day of smallmouth fishing on the creek in my life... Can't wait to get back out..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Snuck out for an hour this morning.. Caught 4 small ones..7-9 range.. It amazes me every time how even the small ones put up such a big fight.. Using a 4 inch black/ red shad worm.. Up to 49

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to change from my regular set up to a texas rigged rubber worm with an EWG size 2/0 hook .. Thanks Rick! (GreyPhase).. I was able to get out this morning for a few minutes before work to try it out... I ended up catching two , and I was really impressed with the hooks.. I am still working on my Texas Rigging, but I think I figured it out pretty well... Here is a picture of the bigger one I caught today.. I was nervouse when he jumped a few times, but the hook stayed true and I landed him..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Another nice one Mitch. Glad the hooks are working out for you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got out before work this morning... Landed three.. Lost three more.. 2 small ones and a nice 14-15 incher... Saw 6 deer try to cross the creek in front of me in three different spots.. They'd get half way across , spook and run off... And then about 400 yards later we'd run into each other again... Happened 3 times.. Pretty neat.. Now up to 54..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rick, I have been real impressed with the number of large bass this year.. I have caught big ones before but not at this rate... Notice the Texas rig and 2/0 EWG hook?? Haha

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You definitely have pulled some nice smallies from that creek, it sure holds a decent number of bigger ones then I would have expected. I sure wish I had a place like that close to me, I sure am jealous . Heading out to the Susquehanna this weekend, hopefully the fishing will be decent. I will post so epics when I get back. Hopefully the hot fishing keeps up for you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts