The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, I told you guys I would fill you in when I start putting my race bike back together...

The '01 Banshee project is underway, this time, the home stretch, as in putting it back together...

Had this bike last year pushing alot of horses, but got the Cheetah cyliners for it, ported them through Herr Jugs Racing in California. Installing a +4mm Hot Rods Crank as well...

Went bigger and badder this time...

Should be well into the 115-120hp range!!!

Anyways, today I started putting it back together. I planned to do it in 2 days all at once, but figured starting now and do little by little might be better, for both the bike and my well being...

What I started with tonight...

Bare frame... cut some weight off it by removing all bars and parts not needed... atleast for my setup. Sanded and grinded them off... cut a total of 9.5 pounds from the bike.

The majority of the bike... all right here...

The motor, minus the cylinders...

The Trinity Racing Stage IV Exhaust...

The +4 Swingarm, to keep this Puppy's front end down on the track, and on the coal hills... also, there are the shiny footpegs I polished...

The Hot Rods +4mm Crank, the Wiseco Overbore pistons and the VForce Reed Valves for the intake...

The Cheetah Overbore cylinders... the heart of this motor...

Installing the a-arms, spindles, tie rods and some odds and ends...

Installed the front shocks and the steering stem, along with some new bearings in the frame for the steering stem's bottom end... nice and smooth!!!

Put a dent in the pile... not really, but somewhat I think...

I hope you guys have fun reading this... I will be updating it often, with new progress, and at the end, I will update it with the bike on the track, and on the hills, kicking some butt

As for now, this is as far as I got tonight... I will update next week, as I plan on working a few hours a week on this bike, and plan to have it on the track June 12 in Numidia, Pa!!!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shawn, don't be intimidated by those pics. It is honestly alot easier than it looks.

I was scared my first time, it was on a Suzuki Quadzilla in the '90's.

After that one, I had a total of 3 different bikes down to the frame, for either frame modifications of powdercoating them.

Heck, that warrior I had I betcha I stripped down to bare skin 5-6 times.

Yamahas are a little tougher than most, but they are still alot of fun to wrench on. Good thing about their bikes is most of their frames are set up the same way, so I have it all memorized.

Could you believe I don't jawt one note down? I did my first time, but that was it. I just have a photogenic memory with this stuff, also why I excelled in school due to memorization. It's all relevant.

But if I didn't have a good memory, I'd most likely have to put numbers on parts, and write stuff down, and take pics of everything and where it goes.

I didn't, however, go this long (8 months) without touching the thing... so it should be fun.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
You are braver then I in more then one aspect, I'd probally never tear anything down that far and have hopes of it ever being put back together, and that much HP in a quad is SICK, I have a 100 CI Victory Vegas that dynos at a 103 HP 115 FT lbs torque and I can't imagine that kind of power in a quad that weighs 1/2 as much. If you can keep it hooked up (good luck) it should be crazy fast!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bird Man,

The banshees are known to be, and were made, for dune bikes in the sand dunes, and were made to run in heat.

They excell with sand tires in loose terrain...

They don't however hook up too well in hard packed dirt. They spin.

On asphault, well, if they hook up they pull up. That is why the longer swingarms are needed with more ponies under you... While a longer one than I got would be better for the track, it would not manuever too well on the coal hills around here. +4 was a compromise.

The horsepower is going to depend on how this motor reacts to elevation here, which is hovering around 1300 feet ASL.. Should be in the 115-120 range, but I betcha with a proper tuning, it will be around 120. Those cylinders and crank are the real deal on these bikes. Nothing touches them.

Weight wise, I will be between 310-320 pounds after the weight I cut from the frame. Depending on the tires that are on the rear at the time as well, as I will run 3 different sets, one for the track and either dune tires or swampers for the hills.

I will follow up with a dyno test as well, and post the results.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
alpine4d said:
your retarted!
Does that mean he has been tarted more than once?
Does it make him even more "tart" or sour?
Or are you saying he is more of a filled pastry than before making him re-tarted?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Lifes2Fun said:
alpine4d said:
your retarted!
Does that mean he has been tarted more than once?
Does it make him even more "tart" or sour?
Or are you saying he is more of a filled pastry than before making him re-tarted?

I'll second that!!!!!!!!
Boy, those Banshees really kick butt.. almost like my Toyota's!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
cant wait to see it done Nugent iam sure it will haul some #%*& the one guy that rides with us has one and it rips.

·
Registered
974 Posts
That thing will def. be a nasty machine! Awsome. One ? however why before you put it all back together didn't you paint the fram and all to make it look better. You have polished pegs nice crome exaust. JMO but still an awsome project can't wait to see it and here how it runs.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
SpiritNugent said:
I just have a photogenic memory with this stuff, also why I excelled in school due to memorization.
Aaaah, to be young again. I had one of them at one time too. Now I read stuff twice just to see if I got it right the first time, and I keep a digital camera close by! Dang 80's!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Gotta poke fun- memory is failing Nuge- that is photographic memory!
Yeah- i feel how slow my brain has gotten since being 18(21 years ago)...

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bearslayer,

Frame will be painted next summer. Funds ran too low.

I was planning on doing it, but I just couldn't swing it. Not this summer atleast... thus the reason I tore it down to bare skin, thinking I could make it happen.

Did cut some big weight off the frame though... and got a good look at what parts are good and what needed replaced... can't do that stuff when it's all on the bike still

No big deal though... I can rip one down and have it back together quite quickly, and enjoy doing it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts