The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many guys remember my post from last year... bare frame, built from the ground up.

This year, I made it a point to strip it down to bare frame again, as always, but to take care of some un-finished business. And that was to Powder Coat the frame.

I decided to go with what is called "Jollipop Red"

Chrome base coat with a translucent red underneath. It will match my graphics on my fenders and the color just flat out looks good on many sport bikes. The guy who did it did 3 other frames for me in the past. He did a great job.

Along with the powdercoat, I cut off every last one of the brackets and tabs I no longer use on this frame before I had it sandblasted and painted. This included stock exhaust tabs on front and rear, TORS bracket, etc. I lightened it up about 5-8 pounds once again.

Anyways, I had this frame done back in September right before archery season started, and I picked it up during the first or second week of the season. It sat in the garage bare as skin since then.

Yesterday the project began... I started the assembly process.

I decided I will not take as many pictures this year, as last year I included every part and every step. This year I will just include updates as I finish up each session.

Below is what I did yesterday afternoon in about an hour or two. I'm not in any hurry as I will not ride until around June or so. But this year I got a much quicker start than last year. I started last year the end of May, and had it done by the first week of June I believe.

I plan to work much slower this year. I also need a few parts for this years project to get it up and running.

Below are the pics of where I am at... as well as what the bike looked like last year.

Enjoy... I will update as I progress

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got some updates here. Did a little more wrechwork yesterday afternoon.

Got most of the "hard" stuff done. Ran the wiring and harness from the rear to the front, ready to accept everything as well as the motor.

Ran the front brakelines, which on these bikes isn't an easy task.

Also installed the radiator, some controls on the handlebars and the headlights. Some little things here and there as well like chain rollers and guides and the collant resevoir bottle and bracket.

Next step will be to get it as a "roller"... on all 4 wheels. I need some parts before I go any furthur and do that however.

I'll update more as I progress.

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
Great looking job on the frame. Do you break it down like that every year?
Good Luck, can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

Birch, it goes down to the frame every year like this. I make sure it's up to par with my standards and make sure everything is functioning like it should. Bolts, parts, etc.

Doesn't take me that long really. I would consider myself 35%-40% done right now and I did that in all but 2 hours, maybe a little more. And I took my time.

I could do this all in one night if I really wanted to.

It should look really sharp when finished. This paint job was really a long time coming...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Nuge, are those pipes FMF fatty's?

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hemry,

No, they are not. FMF Fatty's would never work for this motor and the power it puts out. This motor needs a top end pipe while the FMF Fatty's are a low to midrange pipe. They would choke this motor up severely.

These pipes are Trinity Stage IV's. Both pipes and silencers.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Thanks. That thing must scream.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a handful... it really is. Took alot of getting used to. Alot of power.

I'm still on a standstill with my progress, mainly due to needing front wheel bearings and A-Arms (looking for wider front end) to get the front on the ground and off the cooler

Also need Axle carrier bearings so I can get the rear end on the ground as well.

I ordered a new set of tires, I was fortunate to get the ones I use and love... Super Swamper 22x12.50x9" TSL's.

Super Swamper/Interco moved their production over to India... and has yet to set up the dies for their ATV tires. I assume the demand is very high for Truck and car tires, but not so much for ATV tires. Top priorities need to be attended to first so to speak...

So there was no place, absolutely nowhere, that had my tires in stock.

I finally, after the last 6-7 months, found a new set of them.

So I am good with tires.

Got the bearings, now just need to locate the A-Arms I want and I'll have this thing on all 4 wsheels and rolling in no time

Still not concerned about it, however... as I do not ride until June anyways due to trout fishing.

But like my tires, a few parts are hard to come by and I'm trying to tie them down early and not worry about them later...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I read over on highlifter that the new tires from india are not as good. they are making em in bigger sizes but the smaller size you use for your sport is probably hard to find.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They aren't even producing them yet... they only have the dies set up for truck/Car tires right now.

The ATV tires are not being produced right now. I heard rumors of another year or two before they get them back on the market.

I will snag another new set of these in the meantime. But for now, I'm good for this summer.

It's the only "tire" that will climb these hills good. That and the Vampire. Which they are both similar, but the vampire has bigger lugs.

Paddle tires are great on the hills but don't last. I only use them for solely hillclimbing. I will most likely be running paddles on June 12th

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Like following the progress..... Looks great Nuge.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Peppy...

Axle carrier bearings, front wheel bearings, tires and A-Arms will be in this week sometime. I'll update when I get it on the ground

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
I used to have some toys, nothing like what you've got there though.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Woodsrat. I take care of it. It helps not to roll down the hills too

1 - 20 of 56 Posts