The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so if you're not a believer in the power of prayer, maybe this will persuade you! Today at the breakfast table my wife says she'd like to go hunting today. She is a fair weather 3 times a year hunter. Got to be warm, above 40, and no rain or snow. She is also 67 years old (but don't tell her I told you!). Anyway, I says OK sure, being the good and pleasing husband that I am. So we get all dressed up, packed a lunch, as we figured to hit the woods about 10 until about 2 PM, and departed. Before we left though she says "You pray for me this time". So I do. Not sure I believed it but I did, figuring it couldn't hurt. So we make a slow walk (that's what old people do) into the woods to get to a stand I have marked and used before. I let her carry the Tikka .243. This stand is about 60 yards distance from the stand I used on Saturday, and a little further uphill. Well weren't sitting more than 10 minutes, I was checking the weather on my phone, when she whispers "There's one". I'm like "One what? Another hunter?" "No, a deer!" she says! Now she had my attention. We were sitting back to back around a tree and I turned to look in her direction. I saw the brown moving. I asked her is it a buck or doe? I told her if it's a buck it needs 3 pts. on one side. She whispered yes, while peering through the now 6x scope. The deer was perhaps 50 yds away, looking our way, when it turned broadside and STOPPED! I whispered "Shoot, shoot!". A few seconds later, with the buck still standing broadside, she finally shoots! Bam!

This was her first buck and only her 2nd deer. I told her great job, but you'll have to gut the next one! Oh, and she also refers to the Tikka as "our gun"! And there are two gut piles within 20 yards of each other.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. We don't really want the deer as we have two now so I'm trying to find a needy family at my church, or tomorrow morning I'll take it to a hunter's donation processor.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Congrats to you two.

I said prayer at harvest and thanksgiving the first Tuesday, looked up and there stood 2 doe and the buck shot I eventually shot. Literally within a minute. Not saying the deer wouldn’t have shown but I am just sayin. I’m not a religious person, heck I hardly go to church but I do say that prayer a couple times a season.

·
Super Moderator
24,039 Posts
That’s awesome, congrats to you both!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nope not believing you she isn’t a day over 19 congrats to you and your wife. God willing a needy family will be fed

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Thanks for sharing your two great deer hunting stories. My wife and I enjoy the Hallmark Channel movies this time of year, and your successful accounts of harvesting two fine bucks, prayer, and Christmas time, could be the basis for a great Pennsylvania-style, Hallmark movie with a special rifle!

Best wishes to the two of you for many, many more years of hunts together. Merry Christmas!:smile2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts