The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's mine from 3 rifle season's ago:

I was up in my tree stand well before first light, but stayed low (12 feet) because of high winds. At around 9 I needed to make an adjustment to the seat, so I lean my head and shoulders against the trunk and lift my weight off the seat....at that precarious moment I catch a deer move out from behind a patch of laurel just 15 yrds to my right. It's the largest buck I've ever seen while hunting....5 or maybe 6 points on each side of a wide, heavy rack....short tines though, I remember. My rifle laid across the arm rails of my climber, and I was in an uncomfortable, precarious position, yet somehow managed to ever so slowly gain my balance and move my rifle into position. The buck is moving, quartered towards me, then turns broadside at 7 yards. I remember the whites of his eyes, and the steam from his nostrils, and picking out a single hair....pulled the hammer back, click the safety off.....deep breath, hold......CLICK...."YES! ....wait.....what the..." The buck still stands there looking at me for a second, then takes a couple steps, putting a couple tree trunks directly between me and his vitals. I turn my 30/30 on it's side and look at the lever....which was not clicked shut all the way, and I didn't notice through my thick gloves. Problem solved....gun up....and I watch my buck slowly walk 20 yards directly away from me, keeping those thick trunks in the line of fire...until he got into some thick laurel, never again to offer a clean shot. He was the biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods on SGL where I hunt...oval main beams an short tines, but lots of them. And it was soooooooo close......a slam dunk shot with a rifle from 7 yards at the best buck I've ever seen and that release of joy you get when you pull the trigger on such a slam dunk, then the sinking feeling when the gun doesn't fire.... Ugh... It still haunts me...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was sitting in my treestand in a area we seen a few deer in years past. It was cold, windy and foggy a day I should have been sitting home, but I wanted to get some quiet time in the woods. In a daydream state I heard a snap of a twig and some slight movement to my left. I looked and a huge buck that looked like it had a ribcage on it's head was trotting down a logging trail, I stood up in a hurry, it didn't see me. I drew back on a open spot in a hurry, it had no idea I was there, it was coming up on the opening, I grunted, it stopped. I was calm as I could be, steadied the pin, and let her fly. It took off running about 45 yards stopped looked back, and walked off.

I went down in about 30 minutes later to look at my arrow, no blood and white fur. Where it stopped, no blood. There is tears all over the leaves now, no blood just tears.

Missed another big buck about 100 yards away the next year.
I shot those years more than I ever did before. I shot in paper leagues, video leagues and 3D's every weekend, not to mention during the week. I just missed I blamed every thing I could, but it was just a miss.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i have 2 stories...

my first year bow hunting we had a big 10 pointer on our piece and because i was the young guy my dad and uncles let me have the good spot haha. i was in my stand and see a deer coming that a big rack...it was him. he came 15 yards from my tree and when i went to draw he saw me. i could have done jumping jacks and he wouldnt have seen me if i knew the proper time to draw haha...anyway, the sight of that rack bouncing away is still in my head. my uncle carl killed it the second day of rifle season that year it was 19" wide and had real nice points (that same day my uncle dave killed a 315 pound bear and i took of school the day before.....i was depressed hahah

story 2...
2 years ago in bear season a guy that lives near promised land called us during bear season and said he had a huge bear at his house the previous night so we went up to drive his piece. the bear came out about 20 yards from me but i couldnt shoot because another stander was beyond him. the next stander down from me shot 4 times AND MISSED each time and i got to watch the whole thing....this bear was so big it couldnt even run (you know what i mean if you have seen big bears)

***side note, the 639 pounder we got this year was trapped 1/4 mile from that guys house where i watched the bear get shot at...we think that the bear that was trapped up there, is the same one i watched keith miss and and the same one we killed this year is all the same bear

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Since were opening up old wounds. 7 Years ago, on the last day of the season I found a series of huge rubs with the shreds sitting on top of the fresh snow. I hunted that buck for 3 years, on the third year I finally narrowed down his core area and where he bedded. On the first day that year, I hunted one of his escape routes into his bedding area, and didnt see a deer, so for the last 2 hours I waited outside the scrub beech thicket he bedded in and right before quiting time here he comes and he's a monster, a 10pt with a big heavy knarly rack, he's 75 yards away and starts making a rub and he rubs and rubs and rubs, finally about 5 minutes before quiting time he steps out into what I think is the clear and I fire, down he goes and he starts sliding down the mountain, I go to chamber another round and its sticks, by the time I get it cleared I cant get him in the scope. I track him till 8 that night, leave him the next morning and lost him when he crossed a rain swollen creek, never did find that deer.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i used to work up in the Frackville Industrial Park and would go out after work sometimes behind CoVenCo. It's mostly scrub oaks so thick that you could only see about 40 yards tops.

I was sitting on a little spill bank one night right before dark and caught glimpses of 2 deer sneaking through right at the edge of my vision. They passed through one small opening and all I saw was Rack....BIG Rack!

At the time I had my scoped .44 Mag S&W in hand and the 7mm Mag rifle laying across 2 branches beside me. I couldn't settle the crosshairs before they were back in the brush. I put the .44 back in the holster and grabbed the rifle but could never get anywhere near a clear shot again.

I figured that the next night I would sneak about 15 yards closer and hide behind one of the only decent sized trees around, putting me 25 yards from the trail they had used.

Well, as I was sneaking into my spot, I came upon one of the largest gut-piles I have ever seen. I sat there anyway and saw nothing. When I got back to the parking area there was another guy there so I asked him if he heard of anyone getting a buck in that particular bush in the morning. He said his brother did....I asked "Did it look like this?" Holding my hands far apart over my head.

His reply..."Yep, a big 11 pointer with 3 kickers so I guess that makes him a 14 with a 22 inch inside spread."

I said to tell his brother congratulations.

That was the biggest buck I have ever seen in the woods and the one that I think about often.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
he got washed down the creek?
Im not sure, the creek was in 3 sections and running heavier than Ive ever seen it, he got across 2 of the sections but the deepest one I couldnt find where he came out, I searched down stream for a mile, both sides never found the trail again, did huge circles all over that area, never found another drop of blood.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
around 7:30AM opening day of this year:i'm not ready to go with the story just yet,i still have to get this out of my craw and it might take some time.it's a woulda,coulda,shoulda deal-you all know how that goes.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I think it was 7 years ago it was the second time my dad and I went to Maine to hunt with my Uncle. We would go for the week and not really expect to see any deer. My uncle always invited people to hunt in there in an effort to get the deer moving.

The second day of the season is the first day out of state hunters can take to the woods so I was out there at 0 dark 30 in my climber but the wind was howling so I waited until it got pretty light out and climbed down. I figured being the good son that I am I would walk toward my dad's stand and see if I could push something to him since there were some big rubs around him.

I got to probably about 300 yards from where he was sitting and stopped as I was going up the mountain to catch my breath. I looked up and saw what I believe to be the biggest buck of my life standing at the top silhouetted against the sky in a clear cut. I could clearly make out 5 tines on the side closer to me and I assume he had brows so I'm thinking it was a great buck.

I snapped the gun up to my shoulder and couldn't see through the scope yet (thick pines) so I figured he didn't see me I'll wait and see where he's headed. About 5 minutes later I couldn't take it anymore and I tried to get him in the scope again, this time he saw me and headed down the other side of the mountain.

You ever see anyone run up a mountain before? That's what I did, got to the top and never saw him again. On a side note I kicked an 11 into my dad which he took, and I had to drag.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
No his was an 8 with kickers, the one I saw definitely had 5 on one side. I was glad he got it, and he gave me the credit for pushing it into him.... but I wish I didn't have to drag it after my 100 yard dash!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
i guess since everyone else is re-living them i will...its hard to read the screen with tears in ur eyes...HAHA!
'06 late muzzleloader season, 2g cameron co, last drive of the last day of the season...i was one of a party of 6...3 standers 3 drivers and i was middle driver. i heard the bottom stander shoot, then hoots and yells from the other two standers....my mind is racing...are they coming back into the drive?? did they get between them?? then i hear the top driver shoot his shotgun 3 times, he was hunting grouse n squirrels having already harvested a buck in rifle season...i knew immediatly what was happening so i took of in a mad dash towards the top driver...bout 100 yds and small rise between us. as i crested the rise i see three deer cutting back through the drive between me and the top guy. i immediatly see the back 2 r bucks...and the last one OMG!!! the three deer run between us with the first one stoping bout 50 yrds from top man...the second deer pass the first and stops...the third deer passes the now first deer and steps into the most wonderful wide open shooting lane you can imagine and stops. the deer are now bout 70 yds from me, which is on the edge of my range but def a makeable shot with my rock steady rest on a branch and the fact that the buck doesnt even know im there! i cock the hammer back and...CLICK! NO WHOOF!?!?
i cock it again this time looking for spark...CLICK...NADA!!
now im panicking...a third time i try (all 3 still are oblivious to me, they are focused on the top driver who cant beleive how big it is!!!) CLICK!!! NO SPARK!!!
now the deer split...elapsed time 45 sec...and now i have the gun by the barrel ready to wrap it round a tree and cursing every expletive you can imagine at the top of my lungs...and my buds are now rolling on the ground laughing casue they can hear everything plain as day! we all gather in the last couple mins of light and go ove what happened...im really peed-off right now! we all decide to unload and pick a nice stump...and sure enough...WHOOOMPP!!! my gun goes of first frickin try!! i drank and cried my self to sleep that night! when people ask me how big the buck was i tell them "he wasnt nice, he wasnt big...he was freakin GIANT!!" if i had to guess it was round 150's... public land state forest also!

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
When I was twelve I was spring gobbler hunting up at my camp with my dad and this was my second time going out. So I had just gotten over a cold and could barely hear and it was first thing in the morning and my dad heard one open up way down in the valley so we start heading down after (I didn't hear it) this went on for an hour and a half so we get to this little clearing and setup and my dad went behind me about 10 yards behind a big blowdown. Well finally I hear it for the first time and it is close so I put the gun up and next thing over the hill I see this blue head coming up followed by his fan. So I put the safety off and put on his head and I say to myself it is to far I will let it come closer and I let it walk and when it gets behind this tree I am going to let it have it so it goes behind the tree and i move my gun and I still can picture it pull it's head back and give me the one eye and he spotted me and as fast as he came thats how quick he was gone. That eats at me until this day. The whole time he was only 15 yards and I was new to turkey hunting and didn't know but one thing is I have been addicted ever since.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
I'll call this one "The Ghost Buck"

It was the second week of buck season back in 1996. I was walking across a flat and saw a deer about 80 yards away with its head down. The body was huge. I kneeled down and was watching it through the scope. It looked like it was pawing at something, I couldn't see its head at all. I watched that deer for a good 45 minutes, I was getting tired holding my rifle. All of a sudden it started snowing. Then the snowflakes were getting bigger, like 50 cent pieces. I watched the snow accumulating on the deers back. Then it started walking at an angle across the flat in front of me. I still had the gun up watching it, but couldn't tell if it had horns or not because of the way the trees were lined up, like a picket fence. Finally I had a decent opening and saw the mass of chocolate colored horns it had. It walked behind a big oak tree, and on the other side it was open. I held for that opening and he never came out. I sat there for 20 minutes and decided to go see where he went. Well, by then the ground was covered by snow. When I got over there there were no tracks anywhere, it's like it disappeared into thin air. The funny thing about it was I had the wind to my advantage, but when I walked over to check it out I jumped a doe out of a laurel thicket to my right about 50 yards away.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was 12 years old. First time out with a gun hunting deer it was snowing and being young I was getting cold and a little antsy. Not wanting to leave or tell my dad I was cold (he was sitting on the back side of the same tree) I decided I was going to "have a little fun". Slowly as I could so I didn't make any noise I ejected each and every shell out of my 30-30. Then I put them back in.....and took them out again. The second time I had all the shells laying on my lap I hear my dad whisper "deer it's a buck". I look up to see a gorgeous 8 point broadside at about 50 yards. Looked like something out of field and stream and ALL MY AMMO WAS IN MY LAP!!!!!! I didn't have a single shell in and my dad is telling me to shoot. I told him I couldn't get a shot and that he should shoot it. "shoot dad just shoot him i can't get a shot" I repeated it over and over almost begging him to shoot this buck. Needless to say he didn't...said he wanted me to shoot..... and the buck just slowly walked away. To this day I haven't told my dad that.....I figure I'll wait till he gets old and frail enough that he can't kick my rear end into next week. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts