The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I was a kid I heard the old phrase "the 30/30 has killed more deer than all other calibers combined". I'm still hearing that on other forums but it goes something like this now, "the 30/30 has killed more deer than any other caliber". Does anybody really still believe that? I'm of the opinion that the 30-06 has surpassed the 30-30 in deer kills a good while ago. Of course who can prove it? I just don't think the argument is valid any more.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Considering that it's an "old" phrase, I wouldn't put too much worry into it...It's like saying "Clinton is the worst president we ever had".

The 30/06 has accounted for a pile of deer, sure, but I think it has seen better days as well...The norm today is to specialize, and many hunters have a rifle for woods, a rifle for varmints, a rifle for bear,a rifle for the kid etc....Most of these are usually purchased with a single use in mind, in a cartridge specially suited for the intended purpose....And we sure do have a vast array of cartridges for that!..This is where the ol' 30/06 is gonna lose out..While a "jack of all trades", it is a master of none...It's more a gun for the "one gun man", or for the casual gent who only enters the woods once or twice each year, then throws the gun into a closet someplace....The 30/06 is probably the only cartridge that he knows to exist, and it is adequate.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here so be kind. The 06 is most likely one of the best cals. going. Yes a one gun guy would be smart to have an 06 but the many gun guy should have an 06. If you took any other round with about same size case you would have nothing that an 06 dose. Many cals. have tried to push aside the 06 but all you have is an 06. It's just one round thats almost perfect. I hunt with 270 mostly and gave up my 06 because i read to much jack o' conner, but now know my 06 could stll be with me. The 30.30 fame is also another round that put deer hunter's at the butcher shop. smokeless powder repeater!!! The 170 gr. going only around 2200fps just dose the job, and to think it did it with silver tips and peters with just alotta lead and alittle jacket (tell the .224 guys that) but i do think the 06 has passed the 30.30 by now. the 06 is all over the world the go to meat gun not only whitetails but the whole deer family. Like the 300 win. mag that holds the crown for the number 1 game getter of all the magnums. I've got guns for an asortment of game cause i like guns but if i was a one gun owner think it would be an 06 IMO...later

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Big Ken--wow thats a real tounge lashing for the 30-06, it's a sad day when someone can put down the '06 > do you have your nipples pierced?

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Like I said, it's "adequate".......Not as good a long range rifle as ,say, a 270.....Not as good of a large game rifle as maybe a 300 magnum.......Not as good a varmint gun as a 6mm Remington...Wouldn't use one for squirrels, but it's adequate, and the man who hasn't heard of a 243 or a 300 Savage will recognize what a 30/06 is when he hears it...It's like using a #5 iron for golfing an entire course...You can do it, but not the best for each hole....And there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Don't know bout world wide deer numbers for a 30-30 or 30-06 but I have one of each and right now I think they are tied for number of dead deer under there belts.

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
The 30-30 was THE deer cartridge and the lever gun was the standard hunting gun for a majority of hunters in woodland hunting from 1900 until the 1940's. At one time both statements were probably true. Back in the mid and late 1950's a large number of Hunters still used lever guns in 30-30. After WW2, bolt actions whether surplus or factory became popular. In the late 1940's and 1950's there were all manner of new cartridges developed to go with the new bolt actions. By the 1960's I think probably half the hunters were using bolt actions. I started with borrowed old model 94 in 32 Win Special. While a good many of the old lever guns out there were in 30-30, alot of folks forget that a good many were chambered for 32 Win Special.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I thought the phrase went something like this: "the 30-30 has wounded and missed more deer than all the other other calibers combined."

·
Registered
767 Posts
Moose I can only speak for my castle . I have a 30-30 and a 8mm and my smoke pole . The 30-30 has gotten 2 deer so far , 8mm = 0 and my smoke pole = 1 . Where I hunt the 30-30 is a better choice as a brush gun over the 8mm . I still love to carry my smoke pole .

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Well, I have an opinion too. I would say that there has been more deer killed in the current time frame then in the past because of the large herds. Let’s say from 1980’s to the present. During this period I am willing to bet the 06 has out sold all calibers too.

I’m betting the 06 has killed the most deer ever. Let’s remember the 06 has been around since….1906.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
vapor trail said:
it's a sad day when someone can put down the '06 > do you have your nipples pierced?
I'm piercing with one hand, while I type with the other!...Ouch!

I just think that the 30/06 is too over-"revered"....Through the years I see new hunters purchasing one just because it is the only cartridge they can name..However, if I could only own one cartridge for EVERTHING...Well, I'd go with the 30/30 or better yet, the 32 Special (which I favor), because they too, are adequate...really.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
The 30-30 was THE deer cartridge and the lever gun was the standard hunting gun for a majority of hunters in woodland hunting from 1900 until the 1940's. At one time both statements were probably true. Back in the mid and late 1950's a large number of Hunters still used lever guns in 30-30. After WW2, bolt actions whether surplus or factory became popular. In the late 1940's and 1950's there were all manner of new cartridges developed to go with the new bolt actions. By the 1960's I think probably half the hunters were using bolt actions. I started with borrowed old model 94 in 32 Win Special. While a good many of the old lever guns out there were in 30-30, alot of folks forget that a good many were chambered for 32 Win Special.
I will agree with that. At one time the statement was probably true, but no longer is. Most of the older generation I know started out with 30-30's. Many still use them. Most of the newer hunters are starting out with either a 243 or 7mm-08. Now it seems like the 30-30 has a small but faithfull following.

Most of the people I see today that carry a 30-06 is because it's the only gun they know. It is what their dad used, and is what they are going to use.

Another thing. I think if more gunshops carried other calibers not as many 30-06's would be sold. Many times I will go look at guns, and the most widely stocked is an 06. Some people that originally wanted, say a 280, would just buy the 06 as good enough.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yep, the 30-30 probably has killed lots ore deer than any other cartridge. There are ton os 30-30 out there and Marlin is still selling thousands each and ever year.

Pretty simple to just look at the ammo sales, and realize that people don't target shoot much with the 30-30, but its sales have always been high. this is why it is stocked of heavily at wal-mart etc. So maybe 90% of 30-06 shells sold are shot at paper. Bet you 90% of 30-30 shells are shot at deer, with most killing them.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zimmerstutzen said:

Excellent point.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
One more time for me, I think some one could check out how many 06's are sold or have been. It's alittle to much for this ol dog. I do know that you can go anyplace any little 1 horse town and find a box of o6's try that with 7mm-08's just sayin. I do like and hope to get another 25.06 for alittle hunting here and there, and to play around with as with the .257 roberts the 25.06 took some limelight. Just cause a cal. is an oldie don't make it bad. Lots of the new cal.'s are just hoopla and to sell guns which is ok but as soon as a guy gets one it's the best thing since throwin stones....later

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
b&ghuntre said:
One more time for me, I think some one could check out how many 06's are sold or have been. It's alittle to much for this ol dog. I do know that you can go anyplace any little 1 horse town and find a box of o6's try that with 7mm-08's just sayin. I do like and hope to get another 25.06 for alittle hunting here and there, and to play around with as with the .257 roberts the 25.06 took some limelight. Just cause a cal. is an oldie don't make it bad. Lots of the new cal.'s are just hoopla and to sell guns which is ok but as soon as a guy gets one it's the best thing since throwin stones....later

Agreed.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts