The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I'm not impressed. Arrietta is not the same pitcher he was in 2015 when he won the Cy Young award. $15 million/year is about what he will end up being worth of the length of the contract. The team has not been impressive yet this spring, hope its not a sign for the upcoming season.

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to mention he is 32 years old. The Phils are in need of pitching and even if he isn't the same as the 2015 Arrieta, he is an upgrade to their staff.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
As long as the ball stays juiced I would save money on pitching and pay for long fly ball swatters. But no one listened to me last year. Waugh!

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phillies vs Braves today at 4pm. I'm hoping for at least a .500 season. Las Vegas has them at 100-1 odds to win the WS.

Maybe they can prove the oddsmakers wrong like the Eagles did. Nah! :jestera:

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If this is the way he is gonna manage the Phillies, fire him now. The guy is an idiot. :mad2:

Btw, the Phillies bullpen stinks! :mad2:

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
If this is the way he is gonna manage the Phillies, fire him now. The guy is an idiot. :mad2:

Btw, the Phillies bullpen stinks! :mad2:
And were'r off for the 2018 baseball season!!!! Stand by folks, it's all down hill from today.

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I know it's only one game, but that was rough. Can only get better right?

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not if he is gonna manage like he did yesterday. Nola only threw 68 pitches through 5 1/3 innings and Kapler took him out of the game! Are you kiddding me? Who does that? Even Nola said he was surprised he was yanked.

I remember Danny Ozark walked out to the mound to lift Steve Carlton. Carlton didn't like the strategy and when Danny stuck out his hand to ask for the ball Carlton threw it on the ground and walked to the dugout. That's what Nola should have done yesterday.

I hate when managers try to re-invent the game.

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Phillies beat the Braves in 11 innings last night, 5-4. Kapler pulled his starter, Nick Pivetta, after four innings. He threw only 73 pitches. He gave up 5 hits and 3 runs. The score was tied at 3-3.

Kapler used 8 relief pitchers to close out the game. He has used 13 relief pitchers in the first two games. The game lasted 4 hours and 16 minutes. I know, it went 11 innings but it was over three and half hours long after nine. Expect long games if he continues to manage in this style.

Yesterday, I said he was an idiot and I haven't changed my opinion of him.......yet.

Scott Kingery had two hits in his MLB debut.

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
He used six pitchers last night. That makes 19 pitchers in three games. One of his pitchers was an outfielder. The bullpen is worn out already. :jestera:

I'm seeing a pattern here. Game one, the pitcher goes 5 innings. Game two, the pitcher goes. 4 innings. Game three, the pitcher goes 3 innings. Hmm......

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't see much of the game last night because I was watching the Final Four contest. I just read this story and it is hard to believe a MLB manager could be this inept. I've been watching baseball for a long time and have seen managers do stupid things but Kapler brings stupidity to a new level. He reminds me of, dare I say it? Chip Kelly. :eek:

Gabe Kapler's alarming error adds to rough start as Phillies manager

Mark TownsendBig League StewMar 31, 2018, 11:43 PM

If there was a reset button in the Philadelphia Phillies dugout, new manager Gabe Kapler would have pressed it several times by now.

His first three games have been an out-of-control roller coaster at best, a disaster at worst, with Saturday’s 15-2 loss to the Atlanta Braves providing a low point that the Phillies have to hope will never be duplicated.

The moment we speak of came in the third inning, when Kapler wanted to make a pitching change. Starter Vincent Velasquez was getting roughed up, having allowed seven runs in 2 2/3 innings. It made sense to remove him at that point. The issue is that relief pitcher Hoby Milner wasn’t warmed up yet when Kapler called for the change. In fact, reporters on scene say Milner basically started warming up the moment Kapler left the dugout.

Kapler attempted to stall to give Milner more warmup pitches in the bullpen, but the umpires intervened and ended up docking pitches from his warm up.

Here’s a rundown of the incident via The Athletic’s Matt Gelb.

Hoby Milner had just started warming up when Gabe Kapler came to make the pitching change. Catcher in bullpen was still standing. Kapler then stalled. Umpire docked warm-up pitches. Incredible.
8:41 PM - Mar 31, 2018

Braves broadcast just replayed the Kapler-Milner incident. One minute, 20 seconds passed between Kapler signaling for new pitcher and Milner arriving to mound.
10:02 PM - Mar 31, 2018

In that time, Milner attempted to throw some real warm-up pitches in bullpen. That is why the umpire docked him some. Milner did not complete warm-ups on mound until 2 minutes, 45 seconds after initial signal.

Yikes.

In the middle of all this, Braves manager Brian Snitker was ejected for the second time in three games. He was angry that the umpires allowed Milner to throw any warmups.

However, home plate umpire Jerry Layne said he decided to put the health of the pitcher first.

Umpire crew chief Jerry Layne: "Whoever is at fault for not doing their job on the Phillies side should have to answer to Major League Baseball." Braves didn't want Milner to have any warmups. Layne wanted to protect Milner's health

When the umpires are throwing shade, that’s not a good look.

Worth noting, Milner would face three batters, allowing a pair of runners before retiring Preston Tucker to end the inning.

That was definitely the low point of the series for Kapler. Though things didn’t get much better later on. With his bullpen already overworked just three games into the season and his team trailing by 11 runs, he was forced to call on outfielder Pedro Florimon to pitching the eighth inning.

Florimon, to his credit, did relatively well, allowing two runs on a Lane Adams homer.

Kapler’s bullpen mess was his own doing too, after questionable decisions he’d made on Thursday and Friday.

1 - 20 of 476 Posts