The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DON'T SHOOT THE POSTER

Welcome to the Official 2018 Pirates thread. This thread is for talking all things Buccos; predictions, highs, lows, and everything in between. I know it is hard to care one bit about this team after a trying off season but I have been a faithful my whole life and I can't stop now. This has been a bad off season and the FO makes it increasingly harder to give a rats gluteus maximus but I love baseball and the Pirates have always been my team.

I am interested in seeing how this year goes and the fun back and forth with my fellow HPAers.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
As a fellow Nutting hater I agree, not going to turn me off of baseball and there's no other team I feel like rooting for. As a baseball fan though, been following the league wide free agency drama and couldn't be more tickled at what's going on there. I think ole Scotty Boras finally shot himself in the foot and the changes we'll see in free agency are only going to help small market teams in the next few years. Going to result in labor strife in the short term, but you gotta see it as the first step towards a cap, which any sport interested in parity for the good of their overall product needs to think about long and hard.

The Dickerson trade was significantly redemptive from my view. I still don't think they got the return they should have for Cole, but if you look at the net of those three trades I am not unsatisfied with the return in the aggregate. Our outfield, despite Cutch being a fan favorite, is in all honesty probably better off than before depending how you value defense. I think ridding your clubhouse of Cole as a known toxic personality and feeling like Cutch was in a place where he almost seemed to need a change of scenery as well, I think some of the doom and gloom out of trading those two is unwarranted.

I've kind of fallen off the wagon and not really followed the prospects as closely as I used to. I know Meadows and Keller have some upside but beyond that we are going to need some more help in the lineup and on the mound if we are going to retool and compete instead of gearing for our next playoff run in 2037.

I guess I am cautiously optimistic and predict 85 wins this season. I think our offense is sufficient and there wasn't much pitching help available that many people think would have put us over the hump anyway. Timing can be everything in sports. Unfortunately, as good as Milwaukee and Chicago are and with the Reds quickly on the upswing, the greatest downfall of the Pirates run in the 2010's and their hopes over the next few years, besides the frugal owner maybe, or maybe not blowing a chance to win one, may simply be timing. Bumgarner and Arrieta in their absolute unbeatable primes in back to back wildcards, I mean come on, that's how Caps fans feel, right?

Feels like you can't talk about the upcoming season without mentioning the Yankees. Second only to wanting to see the Pirates win the crown is my desire NOT to see the Yanks ever win one again. But man, Judge and Stanton back to back? That's the kind of stuff I'll be telling my grandkids about in several decades. Very duplicitous feeling because I'll probably tune into the Yanks every time they are on TV this year but hate that there is a system where that kind of talent can be bought (as opposed to won in a loser's lottery a la Sid and Geno, of course).

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
DON'T SHOOT THE POSTER

Welcome to the Official 2018 Pirates thread. This thread is for talking all things Buccos; predictions, highs,:rotfl: lows, and everything in between. I know it is hard to care one bit about this team after a trying off season but I have been a faithful my whole life and I can't stop now. This has been a bad off season and the FO makes it increasingly harder to give a rats gluteus maximus but I love baseball and the Pirates have always been my team.

I am interested in seeing how this year goes and the fun back and forth with my fellow HPAers.

Feels like you can't talk about the upcoming season without mentioning the Yankees. Second only to wanting to see the Pirates win the crown is my desire NOT to see the Yanks ever win one again. But man, Judge and Stanton back to back? That's the kind of stuff I'll be telling my grandkids about in several decades. Very duplicitous feeling because I'll probably tune into the Yanks every time they are on TV this year but hate that there is a system where that kind of talent can be bought (as opposed to won in a loser's lottery a la Sid and Geno, of course).

If you can't excited about that, you don't love the game. I think there will be records made there that'll make the Bash Brothers look like minor leaguer's.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If their starting pitching holds up,notice i said IF they may be in the WC hunt till the end. Ive watched 4 or 5 spring training games and some of the new faces may turn out to be good trades just have to wait and see how it plays out. Also Marte and Polonco need to step up bigtime,but still alot of Ifs just my opinion.

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Opening Day! They are expecting rain most of the day in Detroit so I don't know if they'll get the game in but first pitch is scheduled for 1:10 PM

There are a lot of IFs with this team. I believe this roster is good enough to compete and hover around .500. I don't see them making a WC, too many other teams took a step forward. The Brewers, another small market, managed to make some very good moves in the off season and be pretty good this year. Cincy is in rebuild mode but appear ahead of schedule and could be a contender as early as next year. The Bucs aren't going that way unfortunately but for this year at least I think they remain competitive.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
No optimistic. The tanking of your #1 and #2 greatest assets without real talent replacements is tough going, no matter how the young'un's proceed. Going on the cheap and ranking below the basement in spending means 2 things in baseball. Empty stands, and tee times earlier than the rest of the league. Sad but true. I can see them finishing dead last in our division or losing 90+ games, our starting pitching rotation is suspect as well as our bull pen. I am never a big fan of pre season stats but they looked like they were overmatched a lot and I hope I am wrong in this but who will be the leader of this team now?

Sorry boys, not liking how they gutted that team.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
As disgusted as I am with watching Triple A baseball in this city for the past 25 years, I swore that I would not watch this team this year until there was a new owner and a sustained commitment to winning games.

Yet here I sit watching as Polanco just hit the three run homer. We'll see if they can hold this lead. Go Bucs!!! (But Detroit is projected to be a 100 loss team this year.)

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Even with the rainout they keep their stranglehold on 2nd place! If the season were to end today they'd have the 2nd wild card! And to think some thought they weren't a playoff caliber team when the season started.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
RTJR again!

In first place! Hopefully the NFL can use that flex scheduling thingie to accomadate a Sunday world series game in Pittsburgh if the Steelers play a home game that day. Mebey I'll call and give them a heads up......

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Pirates lead all of mlb with a 1.000 winning %!

Be great to see them play the Astros in the world series, with Cole and Morton on that team now. Or a rematch of the '60 series against the yanks would be great too. Regardless of who they play i'm going to try to get tickets as soon as they become available.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Couldn't believe they played in those conditions. Regardless, it looks like they'll lose at least one this year, despite predictions to the contrary. Still leading the division, and in good position for the playoffs.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts