The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the Official 2017 Pirates thread. This thread is for talking all things Buccos; predictions, highs, lows, and everything in between.

I am a little late this year in getting this thread started but I am interested in seeing how this year goes and the fun back and forth with my fellow HPAers.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Well, down by 5, they made a game of it... Big inning killed them again. But it is still early to be optimistic.

I really think Cutch, the face of the franchise is really struggling. What is going on with that guy?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I agree Cutch needs to show something this year or I think we're in real trouble. After yesterday it looks like another slow start again for him. I don't want to hear complaints about switching positions or whatever, just hit the ---- ball. If he at least performs this year we can at least get something for him in trade.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Taillon pitched a heckuva game last night, as did our bullpen (Watson and Bastardo excluded in that statement) but our offense is a concern. I know it's only the second game, I just hope they find their stride soon.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Marte with a bomb of a walk off HR. Nice to see a little fight in them today. I still feel like they'll finish below .500 again, but it's nice to see them win. I feel like I'm holding my breath with their pitching all the time.

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pitching is the scariest part for any team really but when you have a pretty good lineup that can hang in there (for the most part) pitching deficiencies become even more glaring. Cole has not impressed so far this year, granted only 2 starts, but going back to last year it isn't looking very ace like. Tallion looked great in his first start but lets see him maintain. Nova did as expected and so did Kuhl. Glasnow goes tonight, my hope is his AAA success last year finally catches up to him this year.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Glasnow looked terrified to be on the mound last night. Too soon to give up on him, but I'll bet his leash is going to be pretty short moving forward. If he can't contribute to the rotation this year, it's going to really hurt this team.

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed. He was out of his element. He had great stuff at AAA but some people just can't make the transition. Hopefully that isn't the case with him and it "clicks" at some point real soon.

The good news is LeBlanc pitched well. Also Williams pitched 2 excellent innings the other night in relief as well.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Something just looks off with this team the past couple years. Flat, depressing, no visible will to win, no type A personalities. Moping, complaining, scowling, whining, you name it. Kinda similar to the Penguins under Johnston. At least that gives us hope it can turn around. Boring to watch at best, really tick you off at their worst. A lot of submissive, type B personalities. I appreciate some of the things Hurdle did over the years but I don't see him making it to July 4 as manager.

Glasnow looked hurt last night. Let's hope not and he bounces back.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Cant leave 24 men left of base and expect to win many of those outings with the pitching staff we have. The season is still young so I have faith. The team is full of a bunch of mediocre players from top to bottom even a pitching staff of high prospects doesnt look that great

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
cant figure out coaching thinking..had a guy osuna tearing upspring training and you sent him back to the minors..what gives..oh wait they have to 30 before the pirates bring them up..send bell back and get him up here..if this continues..gonna be a long season

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Surprising for sure! Gotta give the Bucs credit for finding ways to score late.

Spring training/minor league heroes like Osuna are pretty common. That doesn't mean it will translate in the big show (see Tony Sanchez and Andrew Lambo for recent examples). Besides Osuna only has a half year of AAA experience and his prior track record is just decent. It's pretty rare for a guy with that little AAA experience to get promoted unless he is a phenom and/or has college experience. That's not just Pirates philosophy; it's standard practice across the MLB.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts