The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 702 Posts

·
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well croz got us started a little sooner than I normally do this but what the hey lets get the thread going.

This thread is for discussing day to day Bucco talk; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

We make predictions before the season starts, we discuss players perfomance, and we root for our Buccos.

I am looking forward to another great year.....of banter here on HPA!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Kang has displayed some power - maybe KBO will translate to MLB. Too bad about Cumpton. Sounding pretty good for Taillon. I like what Hurdle is trying to do for the pitchers' hitting.

·
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was disappointing about Cumpton. I think he could be a pretty solid back of the rotation guy. The good news is that Tommy John is nothing like it used to be and it looks like pitchers seem to get better after they have it. That is 100% opinion but hopefully that is the case.

Good season preview written by Charlie Wilmoth of MLB Trade Rumors. Points out some areas of concern and potential highlights. I think with this team though those things are obvious.

·
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
23 days isn't that early but I'm sure thread action will pick up over the next week or so.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Went down and saw a game at McKechnie last Friday. The Bucs lost 8-3. Casey Sadler was throwing BP to the Twins. It was a fun trip. Next time, I may wait and go when the regulars will play more.

·
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always wanted to go down to Spring Training but haven't made the trip yet. Glad you had a good time.

·
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not ready to crown them WS winners but I do think they will be a playoff team.

Like any team there are a lot of "ifs".

If this pitching staff pitches to its potential.

If Pedro returns to HR form AND plays decent first base.

If the bullpen can hold up for the long haul.

If the bench can provide the support we anticipate it can.

I think most of those answers will be positive in the end and I am confident they are a playoff team.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Big day Monday. I believe C Morton went on the DL today, and the Vanimal was inserted as the 5th starter.

Keys to the season IMO are the pitching staff, Pedro (if nothing else, they need numbers to help get a good trade), a deal for N. Walker.

Go Bucs!

·
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am surprised this thread isn't running deeper yet. With the Pens playing pretty bad I thought people would switch over to a hopeful Pirates season.

It all starts today. What is everyone's predictions for the final record, player stats, or any other predictions you may have.

Here are mine:

91-71 Tied for first. 1 game playoff to win the NL Central.

Cole will show ace type stuff most of the season (17-11/3.02/196K)

Burnett and Liriano will be solid and each pitch over 175 innings.

Pedro breaks the 40 HR mark and has a career high .248 BA and get this less than 15 errors!

Walker, McCutchen, Marte all with 20+ HR

Kang hits 16 HR in limited action

The Pirates will make a big (not blockbuster but big) deal before the trade deadline.

We see Tallion, Dias, and Kingham in September.

Those are some bold predictions in some cases but not totally out of line.

·
Registered
13,261 Posts
i hope for a competitive season, in the mix till the end. winning the central or wild card would be great.

josh harrison just got a nice contract today, they must think last year wasn't a fluke. i 'member saying a couple years ago they needed to try him at short when they weren't getting any production there, but i heard he wasn't capable of being an everyday player.....

i watched pedro closely on monday. only a couple times he didn't seem to know what to do at first. hopefully the learning curve doesn't cost any games.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Apparently you haven,t heard.He botched some plays against Philly and he was pulled in the Cincy game before he was to bat in the late inninigs.

·
Registered
13,261 Posts
no, i expect him to be pulled in later innings till he gets the hang of things over at first. and i'll expect a few mental lapses too. first base probably takes more thinking than any other position, and that'll take some getting used to.

but i beleive a guy who played third base adequetly till his throwing woopsies started will be able to play first base too. at some point the coaching staff will decide he's got it figured out and he'll be the full time first baseman.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
yellodog said:
no, i expect him to be pulled in later innings till he gets the hang of things over at first. and i'll expect a few mental lapses too. first base probably takes more thinking than any other position, and that'll take some getting used to.

but i beleive a guy who played third base adequetly till his throwing woopsies started will be able to play first base too. at some point the coaching staff will decide he's got it figured out and he'll be the full time first baseman.
Doink! After that last play, I'll agree. He WILL have more than a few mental lapses!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
0-3, off to a great start. Cincy owns us already.

·
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its a shame too, the starting pitching was pretty good overall but they couldn't score any runs. Cincy is a downward trending team too!

Off to Milwaukee for the weekend!

1 - 20 of 702 Posts