The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunters boycotting CO

I know eventhough I joined a GREAT NY lease just last year, I have already had second thoughts about if I am buying a license up there this year. I will continue to be part of the lease casue it is a great group of guys and my kids like it there just to ride and explore, but I have had these same thoughts, got to come to grips with who it hurts though before I finalize that decision.

The last couple paragraphs are an interesting take by "a local" writer though...better hunting for him if we don't hunt there. I have seen that sentiment in discussions about declining hunter numbers here, unfortunately seems the victim is <span style="font-weight: bold">always</span> small town USA in hunting country.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The "boycott" will not amount to a hill of beans. It is emotion.
I have hunted CO twice. Only a fool would rob themselves of a chance to do it over something 95% of hunters won't even be affected by. If you have never hiked or rode horses high in the rockies in search of mule deer or elk, you need to do it. And, CO is the state with a density of elk far greater than any other state, including WY or MT.
If anybody who has CO hunts booked plans on boycotting, I will gladly accept your hunts and go in your place.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Not taking sides on this becaause I can see both angles. But who gets hurt by a boycot? It's not the CO politicians who have forced this issue. They somehow have a support base that backs ths decission in CO. So, from my point of view the folks who get hammered by a boycot are the outfitters and this plays right into the hands of the antis. This type of boycot is not like the one that destroyed the owneres of the Eastern Sports and Outdoors show in Harrisburg. In the long run the wrong people get hurt if a boycot impacts outfitters, gun ownwers, shooting sports in general or people who make a living guiding hunters or running game preserves.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Wouldn;t it make more sense to flood CO with hunts, thereby providing more revenue to those that fight or will fight the liberal invasion of Californians that took over CO.

This headline for hippies and animal rights nuts is a victory. WOOHOOO less hunters killing our animals. Nope, should be just the opposite and should be highly noted that out of state hunters money will only go to those that support 2A.

What is needed is when you go to CO is not to provide any revenue to anyone or company that is not for repealing these crack pot laws.

Boycotting the outdoor show sent a message nationwide to those with money, that the rest of us will not let our hard earned dollars go to those that want to go against our rights. Do you know that the firearm industry provides more revenue and has more employees than GM. Thats why you should buy guns and not GM products.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
If Magpul is pulling out of there, then my hunting dollars don't need to go there, ever.
Didn't have immediate plans to go out there to hunt but hunting out west in some form or fashion is on my bucket list and now my choices of where to go have been narrowed some.

Lots of guys on a TX msg boards I still hang out on cancelling bookings or just not making them due to this. Business associate and friend that lives outside of Denver is thinking of moving out of the state because of this. And that won't be an easy move for him either as he has quite a few head of cattle and a decent amount of acreage. But, he is fed up.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Okay, that's Amarica and I support his decission to do so of his own free will. It saddens me to see it, but I still support it. But in this specific instance in CO, to let the politicians win and the anti-gun crowd force people to actually leave and to perhaps destroy an outdoor industry disrupting the economic welfare of a certrain lifestyle is to admit defeat and give into the wrong minded left.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
I recently received this e-mail concerning the Colorado situation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was talking to a local fisherman here in FL and he told me that he and friends were planning a hunting trip to CO later this year but canceled when CO passed their anti-gun laws. He said that the outfitter that they were using has received so many cancellations that they may go out of business. It appears that what the producer says in the letter that follows is actually happening. We do know what happen to the Eastern Outdoor Show. That cost PA and Harrisburg a lot of money, something they really needed. It appear that all of the liberals that left CA because of the high taxes and moved to CO are not working feverishly to destroy CO as well...Jim

There are consequences to these anti gun laws, serves them right. Also a wakeup call to other states like Oregon. The way this guy words the letter. He speaks the only thing politicians understand: Jobs/money/votes.

Also heard MagPul already has started to move their operations out of Colorado. Arms manufacturers talking of leaving NY and Conn. Could get interesting.

OUTDOOR CHANNEL PULLS PRODUCTION FROM COLORADO DUE TO CO. SENATE BETRAYING 2ND RIGHTS!

Dear Senator King;

I met you yesterday after the so-called "public hearings" on the antigun bills; as I mentioned, I am an Executive Producer for OUTDOOR CHANNEL. I currently have four series in production, including GUN STORIES, the top show on OC, with several additional series in development. My series focus on guns, hunting, shooting and the outdoors.

This morning I met with my three Producers, and we made the decision that if these antigun bills become law, we will be moving all of our production OUT of Colorado. We have already cancelled a scheduled filming session for late this month. Obviously, part of this is due to our own commitment to the right to keep and bear arms, but it also reflects 3 lawyers' opinions that these laws are so poorly drafted and so designed to trap otherwise legal citizens into a crime (one of our attorneys referred to them as "flypaper laws") that it is simply too dangerous for us to film here.

I can give you chapter and verse on the legal implications if you need, but suffice to say that the first legal opinion was so scary we went out and got two others. Al three attorneys agreed.

We are relatively small potatoes in television, but our relocation of production will cost Colorado a little less than a million dollars in 2013.

Secondly, we have proudly promoted Colorado in our productions (and have been moving more and more production into the state); now we will do exactly the opposite. What does this mean for Colorado? The community of television producers is a small one. Last week I had lunch with a major network producer who was looking to locate his new reality series in Colorado. That producer is also a shooter, and the new reality series will now be based out of Phoenix. That lunch cost Colorado over a million in economic impact.

Thirdly, according to numbers I received from the National Shooting Sports Foundation (for whom I used to work) yesterday, hunting had an almost$800,000,000 impact on Colorado in 2012, driving as many as 8330 jobs. Next month I will be in Texas meeting with most of the top outdoor/hunting producers, and the Number One agenda item will be Colorado. Already, hunting organizations and statewide hunting clubs around the country are pulling out of Colorado, and we expect this trend to accelerate rapidly.

The message we will take to our viewers and listeners is that these proposed laws are so dangerous to hunters and any other person, be she a fisherman or a skier who brings a handgun into the state for self-defense, that we cannot recommend hunting, fishing or visiting Colorado. We reach millions of people, and, quite frankly, we have credibility that Colorado government officials can no longer match. Colorado Division of Wildlife is already running ads trying to bring more out-of-state hunters to Colorado...in light of the flood of negative publicity about these proposed laws, I can assure you those ads will fail.

We estimate that as many as one-quarter to one-third of out-of-state hunters will desert Colorado in the next 18-24 months, which will quite frankly be a disaster for the hunting industry in Colorado and have a devastating effect on our western and northern communities (certainly cities like Grand Junction).

This is not a "boycott" in the traditional sense of a centralized, organized operation; rather, it is more of a grassroots decision on where shooters, hunters and other sportsmen are willing to spend their money. Look at the collapse of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in February. That venerable multimillion-dollar trade show chose to ban modern sporting rifles and standard capacity magazines, and within three weeks it collapsed as all vendors and sponsors pulled out.

Colorado is going to pay a huge price for laws that will do nothing. Thank you, sir, for your support.

Best.

Michael Bane OUTDOOR CHANNEL [email protected]

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think I'm going to start watching the Outdoor Channel

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
So, from my point of view the folks who get hammered by a boycot are the outfitters and this plays right into the hands of the antis.
This is a political battle and the intent is to inflict economic harm on a state that passed ridiculous laws. Because we want to harm the poor outfitters? No. Because we know that if there is one thing politicians care more about than their own souls it's money. If constituents come and tell them their businesses and maybe even communities are collapsing BECAUSE of the laws the politicians passed, it's a good chance they won't be re-elected, and the next batch of politicians of a decidedly different political bent will be looking for ways to alleviate the problem. Repealing the anti-gun laws would be one great way to do that. And we have to do this as non-CO residents because, quite honestly, they are in a wave of precedent-setters. If we don't let other states know our opposition is for real, it will spread like a virus.

BH

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
But in this specific instance in CO, to let the politicians win and the anti-gun crowd force people to actually leave and to perhaps destroy an outdoor industry disrupting the economic welfare of a certrain lifestyle is to admit defeat and give into the wrong minded left.
Maybe. Or maybe we just bide our time. When they come to their senses it all returns to normal, and maybe the elk populations will be even bigger thanks to several years of light hunting pressure. It's a blip nobody will remember 10 years from now.

BH

·
Banned
106 Posts
I said it before & I will say it agin,if we cant get intrest in gun rally 23 April how do we think we can make a diffrence in Co.? It is easy to sit & post here but that aint going to get. We need to hit the streets in large numbers.

·
Registered
351 Posts
TusseyMtMan said:
I have hunted CO twice. Only a fool would rob themselves of a chance to do it over something 95% of hunters won't even be affected by. If you have never hiked or rode horses high in the rockies in search of mule deer or elk, you need to do it. And, CO is the state with a density of elk far greater than any other state, including WY or MT.
If anybody who has CO hunts booked plans on boycotting, I will gladly accept your hunts and go in your place.
100 percent BTDT and couldn't agree with this post more. I would be going this year if it weren't for other obligations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts