The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
It looks decent, but I'll be sticking with my 5mm. A heavier bullet, and only a couple hundred fps slower. The new 17 should work great for predator hunters in the special regs areas though.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
unbelievable accuracy too. i just wonder if the factory guns will match the test guns? i never bit on the 17HMR because i was afraid of the ammo going away and rimfires are a no-reload option. got the same feeling about this one. i find it interesting that the parent cartridge is a 27 caliber nail gun. i may give this one a few years and if it looks like its going to stick, i may bite. but if i do, i'll buy a gazillion rounds for it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If someone needs more fire power than the .17 HMR, it would make more sense to me to go to a reloadable .17 cal. centerfire round like the .17 Hornady Hornet or .17 Fireball that are already available. These are both low recoil, relatively low noise, and highly accurate rounds. I shoot both the HMR and Fireball and see no real need for something in between, especially in a rimfire. IMHO it would be nice if the ammo companies would spend more time developing other load options for proven existing calibers rather than flooding the market with new ones. But then again they wouldn't be tempting us to buy a new gun.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
This round makes perfect sense in places where varmints and predators can only be hunted with rimfires. It fills a niche, albeit a small one.

·
Registered
9,686 Posts
I have a 17 HMR and love it but it appears to me that this should have came out instead of the HMR.I wouldn,t buy one unless I had to replace my HMR.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Anybody have any info on when theese will be available? I read savage will be making rifles for it but can't find out when...I predator hunt special regs areas a lot and will definately be buying one of them

·
Registered
457 Posts
It's a nice round and all but I'm mad that I just heard about this and I got a 17hmr for an early christmas present. Would be nice for people like me in 5c for predators that cant use centerfire though.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
When there are restrictions such as "rimfire" only or "muzzleloader" only or "shotgun" only and someone comes along and designs something that fits within those categories but gives rifle like performance.....

How long till they change the regs? I mean the regs were made at times these things didn't exist and in most cases they exist because of the regs. We now have 200 yard slug guns, muzzleloaders and rimfires.

I'm not bashing the new round, just wondering whether people believe they'll get rid of the restriction or further define the restrictions.

Sorry for the off topic.

·
Registered
25,732 Posts
I'm more interested in the rifle pictured in the article.

It says a prototype Savage, but that thing looks more like a Win. Low Wall?

·
Super Moderator
4,822 Posts
You have next Christmas.I know I will buy one if the ruckus dies down and I can buy ammo.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
cm20 said:
I read savage will be making rifles for it but can't find out when...
Savage Will Release a .17 Win Super Mag Rifle
According to Outdoor Life’s John Snow, Savage will be the first gun-maker to produce rifles chambered in .17 Win Super Mag. Snow says Savage “hopes to have rifles shipping by mid-April”. Winchester states that, later in 2013, two other manufacturers will introduce .17 Win Super Mag rifles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts