The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Missouri Highway Patrol has admitted that it released to the federal government lists of all 163,000 Missourians who have permits to carry concealed weapons.

Speaking to the Senate Appropriations Committee today, Col. Ron Replogle says the list was sent twice but investigators in the Social Security Administration claim they were never able to access the information.

“In our opinion, it was a criminal investigation,” he told the committee, noting that law enforcement agencies often share information.

But Sen. Kurt Schaefer, R-Columbia, said there are serious concerns with the release and it may have violated state law.

“Under Missouri law, that is private information,” he said. “The sheer fact that just by unluckiness the feds couldn’t read the information, that makes the situation no better.”

Replogle said the Social Security Administration wanted the information for an investigation into disability fraud related to mental illness claims. The list was to be compared to a Social Security list of recipients to see whether anyone who had met the mental health qualifications for a concealed carry permit had also claimed to qualify for Social Security for reasons related to mental illnesses.

The reveal of the release of information to the federal government has come weeks after lawmakers first began questioning the Department of Revenue’s new drivers’ license system, which went into effect after the first list was released. Replogle says that the agency has had the ability to compile such lists for several years.

In hearings on the drivers' license issues, the Revenue Department has repeatedly denied in hearings at the Capitol that private information has been shared with the federal government.

During a hearing late Wednesday night and after hours of questions, Revenue officials admitted that they had sent two copies to Highway Patrol but they didn’t know the purpose.

Schaefer chided all of the agencies for not coming forward with information on the release, despite the ongoing publicity over the investigation into the drivers’ licenses.

Department of Public Safety deputy director Andrea Spillars said that the department considered it a separate issue because the information was being used for law enforcement purposes. She said the department believes it had the legal authority to do so.

“There was no attempt whatsoever to conceal information,” she told the committee.

Still, Replogle said he doesn't believe the information should have been released, under department policy, and that he would not have used such an investigation technique.

Schaefer said it has taken weeks to get to the admission. The hearing is expected to continue this afternoon. During a news conference after the first half, Schaefer said there could be questions of competence in state agencies and concealing the truth.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The agencies involved fall under the purview of Gov. Jay Nixon, a Democrat.

Last week, Nixon denied that the state has been sharing private information with the federal government. Officials told the committee today that Nixon had not been briefed on the situation.</span>

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-...87144d526e.html

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Replogle said the Social Security Administration wanted the information for an investigation into disability fraud related to mental illness claims. The list was to be compared to a Social Security list of recipients to see whether anyone who had met the mental health qualifications for a concealed carry permit had also claimed to qualify for Social Security for reasons related to mental illnesses.
There are so many holes in the SSA's story.

The appropriate way to do this would be for the SS administration to forward records of folks who claimed disability for mental illness to Missouri, who would then check against their CCW list.

And the more I think about it- the appropriate course of action would be for the SSA to give their records on mental illness claims to be used in the NICS background check, and leave it at that.

They've been able to do this for a long time now, but apparently they haven't done it. IMO that's bordering on criminal negligence. But, God forbid, this may require some guvmn't bureaucracy to have to DO something.

BH

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
It would be the same here. All the names of gun owners and LTCF holders will be given up in a hot minute if the feds ask for them. How long before confiscation starts on a mass scale? 6months? a year? feds are getting there ducks in a row and getting the states to play ball to make it "legal" like and because its all "legal" everyone will go along with it, military, leo's, citizens. Shame. Won't be long and most of the members on this board will be "criminal's".

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thing I though of was: Did Pennsylvania do the same thing?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is illegal in PA for the Sheriffs to provide a list of LTCs. I am sure they can provide to another LE agency a yes or no regarding if a person has a LTC with a subpeona.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
John its also illegal for them to keep a gun registry so then why are we required to transfer handguns in pa.....because they keep a gun registry. Its only illegal when the common folk do something wrong. Government and government agencies can bend the rules all they want, Chicago politics from the top down.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I did not say I thought they wouldn't provide the list, at least some of them, I just stated it was illegal to do so.

·
Registered
424 Posts
John S said:
I did not say I thought they wouldn't provide the list, at least some of them, I just stated it was illegal to do so.
It was illegal there as well.

The laws passed in New York and CT are illegal as well because they are
unconstitutional, even by recent supreme court rulings. That doesn't
stop the government from violating rules and passing unconstitutional laws.

It has become standard operating procedure to violate and let it play out
in court. By then, the damage is done. During the dragged out court
fight, new laws are passed which must be challenged. Throughout the
process, those committing the violations get what they want.

It is corruption at it's finest.
A "revolution" has /is already occurring...
it just isn't what "traditionalists" expected.
The country has/is being overthrown... no shooting necessary.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The joke is they have sen. hearing find somebody breaking the rule's and no one's fire no one go's to trail .Just a Dog and Pony Show look at me at the hearing asking tuff ?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I can't remember what year it was, The Lancaster newspaper ran a list of all permit holders in Lancaster County in paper. I know a lot of guys where I worked at the time were really peeved about it. Gave the crooks a list of where they might be able to steal a hangun.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
What a coincidence. My house was robbed yesterday and they took all my guns too.

No use calling the police. They're 5 states away by now. Oh well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about your loss.I can remember back to a time when you could leave your doors unlock and leave for a weekend come back and nothing was touched . Boy do I ever miss those days.I guess i'm talking like my old Man use too. Back in a time of his Good old Days. Now I can see when I would tell him those Days are long gone. Why he get so upset with me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts