The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought it would be a good day to try for a twisted ankle, broken leg , heart attack or perhaps a pheasant.
First thing in the morning wasn't to bad as the crust on top of the snow held my wieght, most of the time. As the morning progressed, the crust thawed and each step became a little harded, as I would break through as soon as I took my weight off the back foot.
I did see one rooster, runing on the ground about 150 yards ahead of me. Considering that this SGL hasn't been stocked since the week before Thanksgiving, I felt pretty good about just seeing one.
I did see some other hunters, two of whom had snowshoes. I'm going to check in to getting a pair of them before next winter.
So, who else got out and how'd you do.......

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Went out and put two rabbits up. They bot holed up within fifteen feet. At least I got the dog out some. Too windy for me though!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Went out Saturday and got stuck and had to dig the truck out it bottom out but got to run some and had 3 good runs and 4 or 5 that just holed up didn't have the heart to kill any they had a hard winter so I left them go to live and have young for another season.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
We had a pretty good day considering the conditions, Still about 16" of mushy snow here.
The snow Had some base early but got real soft later.
Rabbits were still on top but the dogs were swimming.
Ended up with 5 out of about 15 that we jumped.
Most of the later ones the dogs just jumped and then couldn't do squat with as they charged in and just got swamped.
Was a great year overall except not being able to hunt much the last 3 weeks with the deep snow.
We did not have a single day that we did not jump at least 10 rabbits in our 2 dozen or so PA hunts.
NY wasn't quite as good in the 8 days we hunted up there but our low day for the year was still a 4 for 8 half day hunt on Super Bowl Sunday.

John L

·
Registered
753 Posts
I hunted three cornfields in the Pymatuning SGL in Crawford County. Didn't see a pheasant track. I still had a great time. Doc in Pa.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
We jumped around 15 yesterday and shot 6, dogs had some pounding running. I ran them for about 6 hours again today and running was amazing again. I'm glad it's bare ground around here.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
At least you didn't get hurt. We tried for awhile for rabbits. I was surprised the snow was still so deep. We got 2 but I did fall and hit my left knee hard on a buried log. Today its a little swollen and sore but I don't think I did any real damage. We only got 2 rabbits to run and got both of them and 2 squirrels and it was a nice day but we cut it short after I hurt my knee. Sad the season is over.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
John-PA said:
We jumped around 15 yesterday and shot 6, dogs had some pounding running. I ran them for about 6 hours again today and running was amazing again. I'm glad it's bare ground around here.
Good deal Johnny.
I know I'll never wish for snow again LOL

John L

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Same here John, I hope it's over for the year now.

I figure susquehanna, java and glendale will all be an icy mess though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My Sat started with a trip to a new spot. Lots of rabbit sign but no jumps. The dogs worked real hard working down to the edge of a swamp. I had Petey, Jessie and Jackie down, all real hard hunters. After about an hour 20 minutes Jackie finally opened. They circled once and started a second circle. I moved in closer as it didn't seem like it would come out. The dogs were in front of me and to my right. I seen movement to my left and out comes a huge bobcat (I can understand how some people think they have seen mountain lions now)> This cat was huge--55+ pounds if it was an ounce. I didn't think bobcats got that big. It looked in the direction of the dogs and kept going. I soon realized that this is what they were chasing as they started to circle back towards me. That bobcat passed less than 10 yards in front of me . I dropped the gun and straddled the track and was able to grab Jack, but Pete slipped out of my grasp (I only had him by the fur halfway up his back) and Jess skirted me wide and, when she came back in and hit that track she exploded out. . I was very lucky, I guess, as that cat hightailed it out of that swamp with Pete and Jess in hot pursuit. I couldn't make it across and it was so thick, I lost their track. I searched till dark and no sign. I got a call a little after 10 that night . They were picked up walking a side road almost 2 miles from the swamp. God only knows how far they went before that bobcat treed or gave them the slip. I guess I was lucky to get them back. The guy whose property I was hunting called his son from work and asked him to go check to see if the dogs had come back to his house ( I had left my coat and hat there, in case they found there way back). On his way to his Dad's house he seen Pete and Jess walking down the road. If he hadn't been on that road at that time, I don't know if I would have them back yet. But, as they say, all's well that ends well.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Glad it ended well for you Joe, but all you have to do is push the button and they'll stop chasing cats.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Joe, at least it was a day you'll remember.......

·
Banned
300 Posts
Joe Kaschak said:
My Sat started with a trip to a new spot. Lots of rabbit sign but no jumps. The dogs worked real hard working down to the edge of a swamp. I had Petey, Jessie and Jackie down, all real hard hunters. After about an hour 20 minutes Jackie finally opened. They circled once and started a second circle. I moved in closer as it didn't seem like it would come out. The dogs were in front of me and to my right. I seen movement to my left and out comes a huge bobcat (I can understand how some people think they have seen mountain lions now)> This cat was huge--55+ pounds if it was an ounce. I didn't think bobcats got that big. It looked in the direction of the dogs and kept going. I soon realized that this is what they were chasing as they started to circle back towards me. That bobcat passed less than 10 yards in front of me . I dropped the gun and straddled the track and was able to grab Jack, but Pete slipped out of my grasp (I only had him by the fur halfway up his back) and Jess skirted me wide and, when she came back in and hit that track she exploded out. . I was very lucky, I guess, as that cat hightailed it out of that swamp with Pete and Jess in hot pursuit. I couldn't make it across and it was so thick, I lost their track. I searched till dark and no sign. I got a call a little after 10 that night . They were picked up walking a side road almost 2 miles from the swamp. God only knows how far they went before that bobcat treed or gave them the slip. I guess I was lucky to get them back. The guy whose property I was hunting called his son from work and asked him to go check to see if the dogs had come back to his house ( I had left my coat and hat there, in case they found there way back). On his way to his Dad's house he seen Pete and Jess walking down the road. If he hadn't been on that road at that time, I don't know if I would have them back yet. But, as they say, all's well that ends well.

Wow did you screw up....you should've let them chase that cat...that would be the best chase you had all year. Also...being a cat hunter myself I highly doubt that cat was 55lbs....you're probably off by 20lbs. They do look big especially a nice one. If your dogs run another let me know I might take them off your hands. I'll give you an example here...this is a 38lber killed over my hounds. Its almost the size of the hounds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts