The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last two years I've played chess with a bird that earned the nickname "The King". For two years would roost on the same pine ridge, announce his presence to the world and make a fool out of me every time I tried to match wits with him. This past Saturday I decided to take what I figured would be my whooping from the King. This time I brought a strutter decoy and a feeding hen. As dawn broke, the fog was so thick I couldn't see more then 75 yards. As usual he announced his willingness to play and challenge for anyone willing to compete. I stayed quiet, fulfilling a promise I made myself not to call until I was positive he was on the ground. At 7:30 a deep throaty gobble let me know the King was in the field. Shortly after that the fog rolled out of the valley like a wave and he appeared like a black ghost in the middle of the field at its highest point. He was 350 yards at this point and had a 2 hens and 2 jakes with him. For the next 2.5 hours he stood on that hill top gobbling occasionally, flirting with the hens, and keeping the jakes in line. Every so often he would look down from his hilltop and let loose a gobble full of pure hatred directed my strutter decoy. Several times I thought he was going to commit. At 10:30 he followed his hens and slipped up and over the hilltop. I took the opportunity and quickly and quietly grabbed my strutter decoy moved within 100 yards of where he had spent the morning torturing me. Some aggressive clucks and fighting purrs brought him back over the hill just far enough to see the new guy strutting in his field. From that point it only took seconds before I touched the trigger and ended our final match just before he could hit my decoy at ten yards. He sported a 10 & 1/2 inch beard and spurs of 1 &1/2 inches and 1 & 9/16.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yeah buddy excellent bird. Bird of a lifetime in PA if you ask me. Not many hooks taken like that in this rocky state. Job well done!

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Congrats!!! That's a heck of a bird!!!

I love birds like that...a history...a story...a torturous game...I had one beat me one season...but he taught me more about turkey hunting than any kill I've had...( I had him well within range the first time I found him..heifers chased him as I enjoyed his strutting show..). I've won 2..both good birds but not sporting quite the hooks yours does! Nothing like a big set of hooks!! I've never had a bird that would play games like that not have hooks over an inch. Most times it seems they need hunted differently...

·
Premium Member
24,182 Posts
Awesome bird congrats

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Nice work to get a great gobbler! Congrats!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts