The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting story and an impressive buck. This has gone on for awhile now.

In a move that could forever change how white-tailed deer antlers will be scored in the future, the prestigious Northeast Big Buck Club today announced that the Johnny King Buck from Wisconsin is the new No.1 typical-antlered buck of all time.

By Daniel E. Schmidt

The King Buck was panel-scored by the club April 13 and assessed a final typical score of 221-6/8 inches, easily beating the former No. 1 deer — the Milo Hanson Buck of Saskatchewan, which was killed in the early 1990s.

By club rule, the panel consisted of one official Boone and Crockett scorer, one member of the Northeast Big Buck Club, and the official scorer who first scored the record in question. These men, respectively, are NEBB founder and president Jeff Brown; his father, Everett Brown, and Ron Boucher of Vermont. Boucher is one of North America’s most seasoned antler scorers, having served as a member of the B&C Club’s measurers for more than 30 years.
The rest of the story

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been following this story for a long time.The trouble this man went through was ridiculous.I doubt if this buck could ever be scored objectively by any B&C scorers.To do so would jeopardize their scoring credentials,putting their scoring qualifications in question by the B&C Club leader{s}.A few scorers have voiced their opinion and were disqualified as B&C scorers.Will it ever be scored objectively?I don't know.I do know if I harvested a deer worthy of B&C recognition,I certainly wouldn't have it scored by the B&C scoring system.Just my .02

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a little history on this buck that led up to the story above.

It’s official. Based on the Boone & Crockett scoring system, the buck shot by Johnny King in the fall of 2006 is not the new world record typical whitetail. And the buck’s owner, antler collector Jay Fish, is not a happy camper.

Fish, his wife and son, along with Johnny King had driven 24 hours straight from Wisconsin to Boone & Crockett headquarters in Missoula to hand-deliver the buck to a special panel of B&C scorers. Fish reportedly bought the buck from King for $35,000—thinking it would be a new world’s record. But that gamble didn’t pay off.

On Saturday, I was at B&C headquarters hoping to speak with Fish and King about the buck and the score. But when I heard “180” yelled from somewhere in B&C offices, I knew things had gone south for the Wisconsin clan.

Red-faced and angry, Fish emerged from a conference room at in Missoula. Two separate panels of B&C scorers had determined King’s buck measures 180 as a typical. Fish refused to speak with me, and with a huff, his entourage was out the door.
Source

·
Registered
307 Posts
So let me get his straight , one organization is scoring it net and one is a scoring it gross? If this so is it by their respective rules? What am I missing

·
Registered
307 Posts
After reading the outdoor life article when the shooter contacted a bc official he was Told up front that it had a nontipical point. Fact is he contacted them and he should follow their rules. Some will say he should just be happy to kill a buck of this caliber , but if it were the recognized #1 it would mean a financial bonus. Thus I can understand his concern. Unfortunately the financial windfall only comes with the bc title which is the most reconized organization. I personably believe antlers grow what they grow and I like a gross score

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
he shot a fantastic buck, congrats! so what if some club does or doesn't recognize it as a world record? would the hunter not have shot the deer, or been less proud, if he'd know it at the time of the hunt? of course not.

that being said, b&c is the standard, and if someone else wants to call it a record, fine. but it won't really matter to most hunters who care about scoring antlers, unless b&c agrees.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the hunter sold the rack awhile ago the and buyer had waited anxiously to "cash in" all these years only to be denied.

The B&C is the seal of approval for someone looking to make a buck (no pun intended). That same seal shouldn't take one inch from this incredible specimen and that's what bothers me by these systems.

The deer is what is is...

For instance, say this deer would have come out of the gate with a record breaking B&C score and later pulled? It would have been like everyone falling all over you one minute throwing money at you and the next minute people completely ignoring you and the deer and totally discrediting the magnificence of the buck.

which bears asking the question. What are we really recognizing in the first place, the deer or the hunter? If we agree it's all about the deer, than can we agree the rack didn't change one inch from the time it's "recognized" until the time it's not or vice versa? Think about it.

Don't get me wrong though, I fully understand the intent of the B&C scoring system and there has to one that all others follow or their is no reason to have any at all.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
To be honest I am not a trophy hunter. I haven't followed this at all

Was this a farm raised deer bought and shot just for a record.

"Fish, his wife and son, along with Johnny King had driven 24 hours straight from Wisconsin to Boone & Crockett headquarters in Missoula to hand-deliver the buck to a special panel of B&C scorers. Fish reportedly bought the buck from King for $35,000—thinking it would be a new world’s record. But that gamble didn’t pay off."

If so while great buck I am not that impressed

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, it was not a farm raised deer shot for a record. B&C wouldn't be scoring or going through all this if it was.

I think you missed a few details.

King sold the rack to Fish, an antler collector.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
I read some of the links provided, interesting story for sure.

One heck of a deer

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Milo Hanson who currently holds the record for the largest typical whitetail made over $60,000 a year solely on royalties, shows, appearances, etc. for roughly 6 years after killing his giant buck. (Don't quote me on this, but it's somewhere in that neighborhood)

To me, it's a celebration and recognizing the beauty and magnificence of the deer... And very little to do with the hunter regardless of the work he put in.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a very long and confusing story for sure.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Nothing really confusing at all - Fish is an investor....a losing investor in this case. Mr. King killed the deer, and was offered what appears to be a nice sum of $$ for an awesome rack, but not the world record. So Mr. Fish tries to get around the B&C, and make his big $$ another way. Just another American capitalism story, but one's like this are making hunting into a $$ game, and may leave normal guys out out of the sport one day, and give hunting a "kill for the antlers" black eye to the non-hunting public.

·
Registered
649 Posts
B&C is the standard, but if we changed to gross score alot of great bucks would finally get what they deserve on paper. Either way he's a helluva buck.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I feel like a lot of people commenting here haven't read up on this story. King shot the buck in the wild, it was scored in such a way that it had a "non-typical" point. However, it was purely judgement call to a lot of B&C scoreres. A lot of them stated that the buck is 100% typical. If you actually take time to look at a picture of the deer, it is absolutly a typical, in my eyes. When it was scored, a few scorers determined it had a shared base off it's right G2. To me it just looks like a point that didn't grow as much as it's counterpart.

The person that bought it off of King, is still fighting to have the ruling overturned in B&C's eyes. He recently had it panel scored again, with the same result.

If I had what I thought was the world #1 typical, you can bet I would be parading that thing around. Royalties and such would be just a bonus. A bonus that I guarantee I wouldn't turn down!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Here is the deal and be honest everyone of us would be happy to be in the presence of this deer let alone but lucky enough to harvest it. Now you can not tell me if you got a deer like this and someone comes you offering you 60k plus a year and or $$$ for the mount you wouldnt take that free money? Maybe a few of you would but if I am offered 60k for my deer traveling the world having my name and story attached there is no way in heck I would not take that free money. No way. If someone is going to give it and it is not hurting anyone why not.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not saying i wouldn't cash in but this story is about a disappointed investor.I don't know anything about the B&C scoring so i can't say typical or non-typical not sure how that works.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I don't feel bad at all for the "investor", and the $30,000 he paid. He paid for it without having all his ducks in a row forst. It's called a potentially bad investment, and happens all the time. I do know, if I was the guy that killed the buck, and people wanted to shower me with money, I'd have no problem obliging them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts