The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, what would make the ideal hunting rig? Is it a truck or suv? What engine and trans? What options would it have to have?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Depends on how and what you hunt. I'd do a crew cab pick-up before I'd do an SUV. I have a 4-door 4WD Tundra I think is about ideal. A similar Ford, Chevy, GMC Dodge would also do nicely. For a truck, a cap is a must. Other than that, the trannies and engines are all a matter of personal preference. The engine/transmission needs to deliver enough horsepower and torque to do what you want to, but if you drive any distance, gas mileage is a consideration.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always go back and forth betwween a truck and a suv. The truck has to have a cap and be set up with dog boxes. Both would have to be 4WD and I would like limeted slip. It would definitely be a Chevy or GMC. I like a dual battery set up and larger fuel tank. If it had a choice of v8 or 6, I would take the 8. I would like the 4WD system to have an Auto Mode as well as 4WD-L and 4WD-H. Just to name a few things!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like my pick up truck, but have always thought of getting an older wrangler with a lift kit when back on the trail. I can't see spending the money on a quad or UTV, but would o. A wrangler

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd probably lean toward a Tahoe Z-71 with 6" of suspension lift, a winch and a set of 305 Mud-Terrain T/A's. Seat 6 or 7 guys if you're running around doing deer or bear drives. Or fold down the rear row of seating or both rear rows of seating and chuck it full of 3 weeks worth of gear. Add a hitch hauler to the receiver for the bloody stuff and you're set to go.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I would like to have a Quigley 4X4 van! Lots of space! Deck out the interior with a bunk or two, stove, heater, maybe a pot/shower. Put a roof rack up top and a ladder out back and you've got a machine that'll go anywhere and let you live there for a little bit with some comforts.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
A 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban or Excursion. Carries a lot of weight and you can sleep in it. I use my 2 door 4x4 Tahoe and I sleep in it relatively comfortably. You could do 2 but it would be tight. A 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 van would come in right with those 2 vehicles as well.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JasonN said:
I would like to have a Quigley 4X4 van! Lots of space! Deck out the interior with a bunk or two, stove, heater, maybe a pot/shower. Put a roof rack up top and a ladder out back and you've got a machine that'll go anywhere and let you live there for a little bit with some comforts.
I like it! I've always wondered why the 4X4 vans never were more popular. Now the reason would be poor gas mileage I guess!

http://www.quigley4x4.com/tabid/73/Default.aspx

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Any 4X4 truck with a good cap. I have a regular cab., 8ft. bed with Leer cap. I don't haul people so it suits me fine. All my clothing tubs, stands, carts, etc. fit in. I can sit in there on cold/rainy/windy mornings and get dressed. When I get a deer I push everything up to the cab and load the deer. When I get home I climb in with the hose and wash it out towards the back. Ready to go again.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If I had unlimited funds to build the perfect hunting rig it would be the body of a mid sized crewcab truck like a chevy colorado or Tacoma with a 6 cylinder diesel and 4x4. Then a 6" lift and some nice off road capable tires and a cap on the back. I figure this would get me through most situations.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I know a guy who hunts Wyoming and Montana every year for deer out of a Subaru station wagon he has a hitch hauler and some roof rack storage box's, he says even with his gear he gets mid to upper 20mpgs its comfortable to ride in and says its great in snow.Its not what I would think of for a hunting rig but with all those miles the gas milage would definatly add up quickly

·
Registered
183 Posts
i just got a 2002 dodge dakota crew cab 4x4 with the 4.7 v8.. it has a cap and a hitch.. perfect hunting rig IMO

·
Registered
73 Posts
3/4 or 1 ton diesel crew cab with front and rear lockers. Nice all terrain tires, off road suspension, towing mirrors, front and rear towing 2in receivers, 12,000 removable winch. sounds like my truck... lol

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
WHITAKER239 said:
3/4 or 1 ton diesel crew cab with front and rear lockers. Nice all terrain tires, off road suspension, towing mirrors, front and rear towing 2in receivers, 12,000 removable winch. sounds like my truck... lol
That,s not a Hunting rig,it,s a towing rig.

·
Registered
73 Posts
good ole boy said:
WHITAKER239 said:
That,s not a Hunting rig,it,s a towing rig.
Suits all of my needs. Got room for my choc lab hunting buddy, Gear, guns and the food that i put on the table(game). Tows, hauls and four wheels to move treestands. Ideal hunting rig for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts