The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that handed me a box of these last year . I just put them in the gun case and forgot about them . I got them out and tried them out for the first time at the range and they gave me good results . I think I might give them some field testing this year in my flintlock . I was thinking about going with patch and round ball but since I have these I think I will give them a going . If any one can give me any thoughts Good or Bad it will help .

Thanks

MuzzleMike

·
Registered
461 Posts
don`t know about the xtp`s, never seen them. but i have used the 240 gr pa conicals, killed a buck two years ago, with them upset him right on the spot

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Well MM if your twist will stabilize them and they shoot good then I don't think you will find a better projectile to use from a BP firearm for deer. It has about the same power as a 44 magnum when shot from a centerfire rifle.

The .429 240 grain has a bc of .205 and penetrates great on deer. I used the 200 grain 44 cal on last years deer and it worked great; it's a little more explosive than the 240. The 240 is a better choice though. I have the RMC 1/28 twist barrel.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Traditions PA Pellet with 1:48" twist and it seems to work well at the range . I have had this flintlock for 3 or 4 years and I am still playing with loads and projectiles . I think the next step will be patch and round ball . I figured why not use these up since I got them for nothing .

·
Registered
970 Posts
I use them in my Omega with 100gr Pyrodex. They clover leaf at 100yds, and every deer I shot with them dropped straigt down.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
I've killed two deer with them,one out of my Omega and one with my RMC accusporter.Both ran about 30 yards but the terminal performance was good.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Here is what it looks like after they droped one
I've taken over 10 deer with this round and there is no need to change.This was recovered from the neck.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I love that bullet! I shoot it in my 50 cal ML's, and in my 44 Mag handgun.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If you have a 50 cal be aware that they make the 50 cal sabots for several different types of bullets (44 and 45) make certain that you get the correct size bullet and sabot combination. The 50/45 250 SST works in my Lyman GPR with a 1/66 twist.

·
Registered
309 Posts
MuzzleMike, I shoot the 240gr XTP's in my Omega, CVA carbine, CVA flinter, & my 44mag. These are unbelievibly deadly out to 100 yards. I use 90gr - 105grs of powder behind them. If you make contact, you won't believe the blood trail! WOW! There is an article on the net somewhere that came out last fall about guys using these out to, I think it was 200 yards, with great results. I haven't tried that yet but I'll be using them again this year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts