The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the last sat of deer season this yr i had friends over for a "buck boil" after dark. several of us had gotten respectable bucks during the season and we all had european mounts on the mind. this is the mess that ensued...

119" w/the broken pt added...

98" 7pt...

92" 8 pt and my dink 61" 7 pt...DONT LAUGH!!!!

the messy aftermath...this left a funk in my driveway for days that i cannot explain!!!

the finished product...well sort of finished...the hard part done anyways

there were several adult beverages consumed that nite...we kicked my keg and made a run for another! lots of good food too! hopefully we are lucky enough to get several bucks again next yr and this can become an annual event! my only regret was that i didnt get a pic of everyone there that nite...would have been one for the scrapbook for sure!

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
I have spent otherwise good nights doing alot worse...here is too your new ANNUAL tradition!
Celebrations of good bucks with good friends. gets an atta boy from me.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Soups on! Looks like a great time, Congrats guys!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
The next step is lunch the next day. Add a few taters, carrots, celery, and onions to all that luscious meat, and you have a heck of a meal!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I made horn soup one time, made quite a mess with puke in the driveway, not sure if it was the horendous stench or the large amount of jim beam that was consumed. No more makin horn soup for this guy

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
you guys had to smell wonderful. I bet the misses made you all sleep in the garage

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice racks,never hunted western PA but after seeing the buck pics on this site I am thinking about it.
Even more impressed with 4 guys kicking a keg and getting another.Sounds like a fun time.

·
Registered
16,483 Posts
Nice racks,never hunted western PA but after seeing the buck pics on this site I am thinking about it.
Geographically challenged ?
His Loc. says Perry Co. I didn't see anything like those after hard hunting in SW PA...... but I do have muzzy.

By the way..... just curious as to what the comments were from your gals ?

.... and here's a tip.... bury them in the ground/garden with antlers exposed. You can cover the horns if yer worried about rodents, but I never had a problem. Dig up in early May, and you're ready for the bleaching process after a slight hose-off.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
I prefer the great taxidermy trip of 2012....lol

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Fleroo, if you boil them right, you don't need to bleach them at all. Also, bleach is very bad for bone, it eats away at it. Burying them would take away from all the great camaraderie and fun!

·
Registered
16,483 Posts
Fleroo, if you boil them right, you don't need to bleach them at all. Also, bleach is very bad for bone, it eats away at it. Burying them would take away from all the great camaraderie and fun!
My peroxide doused skulls on the wall will outlast me, and more than likely you too. As far as the "gathering", do the very same minus those stinky, awful, boiled Deer heads. Gather in your driveway/garage and whoop it up.
You can use all that propane to heat your outside venue, and your wives may even want to attend them......... oh wait, on second thought, keep going with those stinky Deer heads.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
several things to explain a little more...lol
-there were actually 7 of us guys sipping on the keg
-the women (4) and kids (7) were all in the house but made lots of trips out to supervise us and other than the typical "eeww thats gross" comments they werent all that freaked out by it. all of them are GOOD women...haha
-the 119" score included what would have been the g2 if it was the same as the intact side...we actually think the broken side would have been bigger becasue that side scored better than the other in all the measurements but we gave it only the intact side length...that buck was dauphin co along w/the 98" 7 pt
-the 92" 8pt was clearfield co and my trophy 61" 7pt was tioga co...good geographic range
-the next step will be to let them sit for a cpl wks and dry up and maybe pick off any of teh crispy dried stuff and then each of us have our own ideas. some guys like the "rustic" yellowish color and others like the clean bleached look. i thnk mine is gonna stay the way it is and is gonna go up on the wall at camp for all to gaze in wonderment...BAHAHAHHA

·
Banned
462 Posts
I love doing euro mounts been doing them the past few years for local guys and family/friends when they get bucks. I have it down pretty good now and can do them pretty dang quick.

As for the bleach being bad for the skulls, I agree if you use straight bleach. However I always soak my skulls in bleach diluted in water and dish soap for atleast 3 days, no matter how well I think I get a skull cleaned through boiling at the end of those 3 days of soaking there is always more stuff to cutt off. Its usually the stuff between different bones in the skull, or parts of the sinuses, and even tiny brain pieces that hold on for dear life. Plus the dish soap gets any oil that may be left on the skull off and with the bleach it seems to really kill any scent; just after boiling its smells pretty funky!

Do you do straight water or ????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts