The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed down my choice to a fixed blade broadhead for this year. I'll be hunting out of a ground blind due to being too chunky to get into a tree stand. I am just so confused as to which one to buy. Any suggestions? I need guidance from hunters here, not just the marketing geniuses on TV and the mags. Thanks, guys!!!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Magnus Stinger or Slick Tricks and you cant go wrong.

Magnus has a lifetime guarantee, so that if you bend or chip one and send it back, most times they will send a 3 pack back to you.

Not only that, but both Magnus and Slick Tricks fly very, very close to field points out of a well tuned bow.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
slick trick...after seeing the quality and flight...well...its gunna take alot to get me to change to anything else!!

the grizz tricks also make a very nasty hole...

the rage 2 blade mechanicals are famous for big holes...when they are just a wide gash...the grizz tricks put a 1.25" 4 blade HOLE in a deer...

but if your not packin a good bit of energy behind your head, id go with standards or magnums...it takes some energy to punch a 4 blade head that cuts as much as the grizz trick through a deer and get a clean pass through..

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I have shot Muzzy 90s for the past 10 years and they worked great. I bought Slick Tricks a few months ago because I was told that I had to try them. I'll let you know in a few months how they work out.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
if you liked muzzy im almost certain you'll really like the slick tricks...

i will always use 3 blade muzzys to broadhead tune my bow just because i have learned they are about the toughest to get tuned...very picky..

i didnt like the aluminum ferrules and thin blades...slick tricks fix both those "issues" i had with muzzy and are shorter heads so they fly better/tune easier..

i just really always had that question in my head with muzzy about durability being aluminum and thin blades...

the slick tricks impressed me all around..design and quality, flight, and killing performance..

·
Registered
339 Posts
mauser06 said:
i will always use 3 blade muzzys to broadhead tune my bow just because i have learned they are about the toughest to get tuned...very picky..
tuning your bow to one "picky" broadhead does not mean your bow is now tuned to all broadheads. Not at all.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I've found the broadhead I expect to use for a very long time. Slick Tricks.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I've always been a fan of 125 grain Satellite Titan TNT's

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've had success with muzzy 3 blade, nap spitfires, magnus buzzcuts and now slick tricks. they all worked well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Rain Man said:
mauser06 said:
tuning your bow to one "picky" broadhead does not mean your bow is now tuned to all broadheads. Not at all.

I agree with that one. I can shoot Strikers and reg Slick Tricks like darts out of my bow, but screw on a grizztrik, and its all over the place.

·
Registered
21,378 Posts
I've killed deer with old wasp cam locks,muzzies,and slick tricks.They all do the job if you put them in the right place.Every broadhead needs to be shot out of a tuned bow but some broadheads,because of their design are easier to tune.Short fixed blade heads such as G5 strikers,slick tricks,wasp boss bullets etc are some of the most common.If your bow is tuned,you have no fletch contact,arrows are spined correctly,you use good form and have them screwed on strait,you should be able to get excellent flight at just about any speed.It's also important to use a BH that will stay together and not break.

For the past several years,I've used slick tricks to take over 30 deer.I've get perfect flight at 320+ fps.I get a passthrough every time and I've never busted a blade.In fact,I've killed as many as 4 deer with the same head and blades.Out of approx 30 deer,only one has run out of sight.I'm not saying their the best head out there but they're the best performing head I've ever used.

You're smart to not get all caught up in marketing.I have the opprtunity to shoot alot of deer every year and I also get the opprtunity to see alot more get killed and wounded.One of the biggest fads today is to use as big of a cutting diameter as possible.I can tell you from pretty extensive experience that BH diameter is the least thing you should be concerned with.I've killed loads of deer with huge heads and even more with standard size heads.Shot placemenet,durability and penetration are the three most important things,in that order,period.I've blown huge gaping wounds through deer with Wasp Jackhammers and slick trick grizztricks.The results are the same as a standard sized head if shot placemenet is equal.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts