The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my boot purchase narrowed down between the Korkers "redside" and "metalhead" models. Do any of you currently use one of these boots? I tried on both on today and both were light and comfortable. I have heard good and bad in regard to the BOA lacing system. Some have said that the BOA gets jammed up or breaks away after tightening too tight. The redside were harder to get on and off but still have the interchangeable soles. Is the extra $50 in price worth the BOA system or should I just stick with the laces and use the extra $50 on a set of studded felts? Let me hear your thoughts and experiences. I want to order the boot before the weekend.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Im not familiar w/either of these wading boots I would be careful w/felt soles. Maryland has outlawed them and I wouldnt be surprised if pa follows in the not to distant future

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huntfish, That is another benifit of these boots, I can change soles easily as needed. Until they are banned in pa I have to keep using felt as the stream I fish is all rounded rock and some really slick surfaces.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Not sure what model i have, Looking at the pictures i am going to say the "redside".

They are tight as you said but I honestly i put them on. snug the laces and tuck them into the boot. I pull down the gravle guardon my waders and they stay tight. I never EVER tie them completly. I have never had an issue with them because my waders have connected wader guards. They keep everything supported nicely. They feel like sneakers and I can fish all day in compfort. By not lacing the boot, i can easily dis connect the gravle guard and jsut flop the shoe off.

They actually help keep my feet warmer because of the tight fit as well. I fish with breathable waders in temperatures "real feel" below zero.

I fish in all kinds of weather and especially in the winter. I am tough on my gear as well. Sometimes I am scrambling to get out and get home so, i have left them in my trunk overnight, on more than one occasion and had them become froze solid. No issues. These have lasted me 3 years so far and still going strong. The sides are a little skuffed looking but no tearing, ripping of the sole, or mechanical malfunction yet. The soles have never been switched and have never come off Either one will work.

I migh suggest you try the next size up if the boots are too tight.

I personally would go the cheaper rout and buy other things you need. $50.00 would cover your license, and gase for 1 or two fishing trips

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I have a pair of 2nd generation korkers and really like them. but you better make sure they fit because the sizes on them are wacked and they are on the narrow side, in my opinion. I do not have the boa lacing system, just regular tie laces and do not see the advantage in boa. as for soles, i like the studded rubber sole best. i fish in the winter with snow and do not likr how snow builds up on the felt. in the past i have used studded felt and see no difference in traction between studded rubber and studded felt. plus you do not have the didymo or other invasive hitchiker issues with rubber

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
RIZ said:
I have a pair of 2nd generation korkers and really like them. but you better make sure they fit because the sizes on them are wacked and they are on the narrow side, in my opinion. I do not have the boa lacing system, just regular tie laces and do not see the advantage in boa. as for soles, i like the studded rubber sole best. i fish in the winter with snow and do not likr how snow builds up on the felt. in the past i have used studded felt and see no difference in traction between studded rubber and studded felt. plus you do not have the didymo or other invasive hitchiker issues with rubber
Great insight, I too have just used the rubber sole with no issues in the winter.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried both on at cabelas with a stocking foot wader. I liked both and they fit true to size of street shoes but the metalhead was so much easier to get on and off my foot. Was hoping to find a coupon and order on line. I am still torn between the two.
I have tried rubber but never with studs. I really only fish one body of water so I don't worry about contamination. I can say without felt soles it was like trying to run on ice. Plus with either pair I can rotate soles. Someone has to have a pair of metalheads to give me an honest review.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
maybe no one has the metalheads because they aren't worth the 50.00 extra

50.00 gets you 56 of my flies

I am just joking. I can put up a question on another forum i belong to if you would like, and link you to the results if you would want. I imagine that 1/3rd of the replies would be telling you not to go with korkers though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have Metalheads. I love them. The BOA lacing is awesome in my opinion. I've fished them pretty hard for almost 2 years and they are holding up well. I don't think I could go back to laces now that I've had these.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts