The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I own five of them, 3 12 ga, 1 16 ga and 1 28 ga, other than for turkey I only use side by sides.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a stoeger that i use for predator hunting, i like having the choice of two different chokes and 2 different loads when night hunting.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have just two now. Hope someday to add another 16 ga. and a 20 ga. Pics of my brace of doubles:

Upper gun is 1912 Parker VH 12 ga. on #1 1/2 frame. Lower gun is my Gramp's 1923 Parker Trojan 16 ga. on a #1 frame he gave me in the late 60's.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I have a SxS 20(I'll give my oldest son) and a 12. I'd love to get two more for my other boys.
I love side by side doubles.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've found myself carrying this little 16 ga. damascus barreled Belgium hammergun built in the 1880's most of this hunting season.

With 7 other sxs's in the safe (all 16 ga.) the seasons just not long enough.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I own two new SXSs and three "American Classic" SXSs. When I was younger I bought a brand new Remington Wingmaster 12ga (1979) and it seemed I seldom missed with it and I used it for everything including trap. Even today I think that gun with a 26" light contour barrel is a fine hunting gun that will last generations.
My interest in SXSs came from my grandfather and an uncle who used an L.C.Smith and a Baker, respectively. The sky reflective finish and the contours of those two guns held great appeal for me and so later on I began to buy American doubles and own or have owned Bakers, Ithacas, Foxs, Tobins, Smiths and others.
I have shoulder injuries that over time have made my use of a pumpgun difficult and my Remington 11-87 is too heavy except for trap and waterfowl so I use the doubles for most everything and enjoy them. But if I could go back to swinging that 8lb 870, as I once did, I could be content to do so. It is a solid economical do it all gun and I wouldn't let anyone make me shy about carrying it.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I really like my SxS.Especially these two.They are my oldest made between 1847-1853 Belgium.Yes,they use blackpowder and load from the muzzle.One is a 20ga and the other an 11ga.Also no chokes.Your tubes must be the same diameter top to bottom or you get blow-by.They didn't make chokes till cartridge shotguns came out.

11 ga. dove

20ga Rooster

20ga.squirrels

1 - 20 of 26 Posts