The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

The Floundering Thread!!

270K views 484 replies 60 participants last post by  Loggy 
#1 ·
OK..its the off season so time to get the ole juices flowing thinkin bout the upcoming Flounder Season!! Less than 3 mths & hope to be a drifting again!!

Post-up pics of your Last Seasons catch, Fishing Reports, Your 2010 Floundering Plans, best baits, techniques or whut have ya!! Only BS accepted!! lol

Here's a few from the 2009 Season me & my crew caught in VA..We did best in April plus I had several May trips that were half decent. Later..best to throw the crab traps out!!

My Fishin buddy Gentleben Who Nailed a nice Flattie during almost hurricane conditions! lol

Me & a few Flatties Caught Early April/May

See less See more
#5 ·
Some very nice Slabs there for sure!!

Keepem coming guys.. plus any tips, techniques etc. that works for you..be sure to post-up!!

Curious..what month ya catch that nice Lewes Canal slab??

#7 ·
Loggy said:
Some very nice Slabs there for sure!!

Keepem coming guys.. plus any tips, techniques etc. that works for you..be sure to post-up!!

Curious..what month ya catch that nice Lewes Canal slab??
Loggy, I caught this flounder in late July /early August. The best tip I could give you for fishing the Lewes canal is to fish it at night. I used a 4 inch storm lure. The way I fish this lure, is to cast up stream then let the lure drift on the bottom along the current. You have a really good chance at catching some nice striped bass also. I caught most of my biggest fish under the freedman high way bridge. You do not need a boat to fish the canal.

#8 ·
Thanks for the tips!!
I have fished the Lewes canal many times from shore over the years but not recently. Also fished area on other side going out to inlet. I used to fish in the area just below the ole Lewes Dairy at the oyster shell beds.. I think thats all private now. Caught some really nice flounder there.

#9 ·
A couple more nice flatties bagged a lil later on another trip with crew. My friend(on left) from NJ caught very few legal flounder & I was so happy to put him on some nice VA flatties!!

Come on guys...jump in here on the flounderin action before the drift passes ya!! Sharin tips, catch pics, fishin reports etc is whuts its all about!!

#10 ·
I thought it was a great overall season on the DE Bay for flounder and stripers. We went 6 or 7 times for flounder. I limited out once and the worse trip for keepers was 4 which still is pretty good. I still have a good amount in my freezer we are enjoying. My favorite way to catch them is on a bucktail and light tackle. I like to spice up the bucktail with squid, gulp, or a nice fresh strip of fish or shark. I will tie a rig with the bucktail on the bottom and a hook on a dropper loop about 16" above the bucktail. We usually fish a minnow on the hook above the bucktail. I also like to fish a floating jig head. Sometimes when the fishing is slow I'll fish a small floating jig head with a minnow. In the pic is a keeper that hit the bucktail with a strip of shark. That day we caught a pile (40-50) with 7 keepers.

#11 ·
Glad to see some flounder guys here my wife and i fish mostly Del bay out of Cedar Creek. We had a great year , had keeper flats every trip down this year. I'll have to post some pix when i get the wife to down load off of the camera (I dont mess with the camera she dont mess with my guns)

#12 ·
I'm waiting to see what regulations NJ comes up with for fluke for 2010.
We did very well at the Cape May reef and in Del Bay.
Since there is not much happening with sea bass closed we just pulled the boat Jan.7th.

#13 ·
Same thing in VA Birch. The VMRC is holding meetings this month to determine the regulations for the 2010 season. Ive been hearing rumors that the minimum size may be change from 19" to 18 1/2" but strickly rumor. If like past years...will be sometime in February till finalized. Last year the throughback ratio was at least 10:1. Be interesting how things play out this season.

#14 ·
Whaler said:
I thought it was a great overall season on the DE Bay for flounder and stripers. We went 6 or 7 times for flounder. I limited out once and the worse trip for keepers was 4 which still is pretty good. I still have a good amount in my freezer we are enjoying. My favorite way to catch them is on a bucktail and light tackle. I like to spice up the bucktail with squid, gulp, or a nice fresh strip of fish or shark. I will tie a rig with the bucktail on the bottom and a hook on a dropper loop about 16" above the bucktail. We usually fish a minnow on the hook above the bucktail. I also like to fish a floating jig head. Sometimes when the fishing is slow I'll fish a small floating jig head with a minnow. In the pic is a keeper that hit the bucktail with a strip of shark. That day we caught a pile (40-50) with 7 keepers.
Looks like one happy boy there Whaler!!

Some great tips there...keep-em coming!

#15 ·
Just to keep the DRIFT moving a lil!!
Here's a pair of nice flatties I nailed on Fall trip out of Wachapreague, VA. One on left pushed 7lbs & placed 2nd in their tournament & we boated $500 along with some fine eatin!! Other was a lil over 6 lbs.

#17 ·
It was 1953(Give or take 50 years or so
) I was 2 years old just out of diapers due to bed wetting problem...give or take a few

That beard grayin-up & smaller gut comes bak to grab me in the arse everytime!!

#19 ·
I'm always suprised at how aggressive a predator the bigger fluke can be. A lot of people think they are passive and just ambush on the bottom but I've had big flounder chase Storm lures and nail them a couple feet from me when I'm wading and fishing beach jetties. A couple years ago I caught a 20" flounder on a Storm lure that had swallowed a 7-8" bluefish. The bluefish's tail was sticking out the flounder's gullet and was visible in the flounders mouth. I have no idea why the flounder was still trying to eat more. While striper fishing I've caught 3-4 nice flounder on big bunker chunks on really big circle hooks and I caught 2 nice flounder on live eels. The pic is an 8 lber my son caught behind Sea Isle -it had 5 crabs in its stomach.

#24 ·
VA Flattie Trip Number 1 scheduled for me, HPA Members Gentleben & Dale Sholder!!
Heading down 4/21 for a 4-5 dayer!!

With this warmin-up I expect to hear some locals reports within days.

Anyone else gonna do some early season driftin when the Big Boys bite?? Wachapreague normally turns on a few weeks earlier than MD/Del. Dont delay & let the drift pass ya by!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.