The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody put any thought into the status of their dog if and when some thing happends?
just a thought.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This is a very difficult point for all dog owners to address. Especially, if the dog is a loving pet and not a working dog. At the very least, they can bark at intruders and a good way to gauge the current environment. An unsettled dog can be a very good source of intelligence.

Trying to address dog food would be a pain, so I agree with Yote that the dog would eat what we eat, better yet, hunt its own within a secure area.

Ok, here we go... All this would be very difficult for my 14yr old lab/Sheppard, who has seen her better days. Not sure what I would do with her... Hard to think about really. I'm having a hard time trying to think about putting her down, let alone expecting her to survive in an unstable environment.

In all honesty, if mobility was a necessity and considering her deteriorating stage as it is now, I would ask a friend/neighbor to put her down. I certainly couldn't do it... ugh. I need another cup of coffee. Cheers.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It may sound horrible but they may prove useful as a source of ........food if times are way way bad.

Yes , i have two dogs and consider them members of the family. I also know when it comes down to survival you have to do what you have to do.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I agree that you have to do what needs to be done, but the security factor alone is worth keeping them around... i know my little buddy may not be huge but he will hear you coming long before i do and let me know about it

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
A dog is more useful alive than dead. If we really are in a Teotwawki situation a dog could prove invaluable in warniing of impending danger. That right there could save your life. A hunting dog can help you get food too.

·
Registered
957 Posts
it is, but the early alert system especially if you do not want to set up a 24 hr watch is worth it, besides, I have been in places where there should never have been a dog and came across one... and called them in at night while predator hunting miles and miles away from the closest house. it happens... but i will take my chances atleast I will be ready when someone gets there and not caught off guard.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd take them with. Although trained very well, dogs in WWII saved a lot of Marines' lives in the Pacific by being able to sense enemy danger long before the troops would. Even if my dog isn't as well trained, they still have very good senses and like it was said before, at least you wouldn't be caught off guard when someone shows up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We have 2 Irish Setters that I feel would be worth their weight in gold to us. They steal human food when they get the chance so feeding them wouldnt be much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have a treeing cur and a mountain cur. They would be worth their weight in gold if it came down to it. They will hunt what you encourage them to hunt and would provide you with a lot of meals as well as protect you from intruders.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
dog comes with, she's a little thing but in a situation like that she would keep the kids calm and let us know if anything was around. Wish I still had my akita Samson, in a protection situation against other man or other dog he would be worth his weight in gold.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i was just thinking about this...
bear, i 150 lb rottweiler newfenlund mix, woulda been invaluable in his day but in his tenth year, he's dead weight- hes gonna end up put down
holly, 60 lb mutt, young strong and wild just what you want-shes coing along
daphine, a 5 lb maltease-worthless, but somehow my sister will save her

1 - 17 of 17 Posts