The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have an extra week during the rut. I am wondering when to take my vacation.
I am thinking about taking a week at Halloween as usual and my last week during Nov 16-20th.

I much prefer hunting the seeking phase, but I remember those few rare seasons where the bucks really turned on in the last 2 days of archery. The bucks are usually moving fast and unwilling to stop or respond to a grunt at that time for a close encounter or a shot opportunity, but it is exciting as heck to see all the action going on.

Think I will definitely split it up just to see.

Great days ahead for sure either way.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I will definitely be out till the end if my tag isn’t filled, but I’m sticking with the first week of November for vacation. Would rather see them seeking also, instead of locked down.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually see the lock down the last week of archery. Really do not know what happens the week after, so I am excited about it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Been hunting 5C the third week since they opened it. Each season, at least two 3.5 year old or better buck sightings that week. Call me nuts, but I would take week 3 over the 1st-7th anyday.

It may not be nonstop 1.5-2.5 y/o madness, but boding no heatwave, it’s a killer week.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Halloween is theee best day of the weather is right in PA!

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
Halloween is theee best day of the weather is right in PA!
In 40+ years of bowhunting, iv'e never had a great day on halloween. Missed a few years due to trick or treating when the kids were little, but hunted most years. I know lots of guys love halloween but I usually get the trick, never the treat that day. Mebey this will be my year?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Iv'e hunted most of november for over 30 years. I prefer the single digit days of november. After the 10th, things start to slow down. Still some good days later, but 5-10 have always been the best for me.
I love hunting the first temperature drop from Halloween through November, but if I have to schedule vacation, I'd make sure it included Nov. 6-10.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
In my 35 plus years of archery hunting, including hunting the 3rd week a few years since I live in Allegheny County. It depends on your priorities. If you are looking to see a lot of bucks and want to put your tag on one, the 2nd through the 10th are prime. If you desire to target the oldest in your area, there is no doubt in my mind that the 11th through the 20th will be better. You will see less bucks, but the chances of seeing the top end bucks in your area are better as they move from being locked down with one doe to another.

The oldest of the old do not waste their energy chasing does until it is time. They will move at night in early November, but during the day, not so much. When the does actually come into heat is when they are up and about. Catching them between hot does is the magic ticket.

So, if you are into numbers, looking over some bucks, and punching a tag on one that is above average, first two weeks. If you are okay with seeing less movement, while holding out for the old monarchs, the third week is what you should target.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear ya DPMS, and I think you are correct.
It explains why all those big fellas I get on camera have disappeared come hunting season.
They are just a laying low opportunists til everything is just right.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The best RUT day I've ever had was on Monday the 11th of last season. I had multiple hot doe all around me and bucks in every direction grunting their heads off. I saw at least 30 deer in 2 hours which never happens where I hunt.

With that said, I for sure will be taking my Rutcation 10/30-11/13 and then the entire first week of rifle if I have tags left. (Doubt I will with the new X-bow I got).

·
Registered
699 Posts
Taking Friday November 6 thru the following Friday the 14th. Glad the extra week is there if needed. I’m a 5th thru the 12th guy. Think that is the best days annually! At least in my 38 years of experience. Had my best day last year on the 14th.
The closer you get to November the better chance you have for rut action but always thought Halloween was way over hyped!!
Guys in Ohio all seem to like it better closer to thanksgiving say biggest ones are on there feet then.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a couple favorite weeks. I seen more buck's on the move with a little aggressiveness going on, meaning antlers clashing 3rd week of October. Halloween day and before Halloween and after that it slows down.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Ok, someone start the annual rut activity thread already! I'm super excited for the season..

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I'll be taking off the whole first week of season trying to catch one of my big ones on a feeding pattern and then I have off 2-3 days every week until November and then I took my vacation from the 4th until the 20th so we'll see what happens !

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I prefer the second and third week. Ive taken the first 3 weeks of November off and never had a ton of luck the first week. If you wanna see the 1.5-2.5 yr olds chasing I think thats the best time. Not saying I havent seen some nice ones then but the second and third week seem to be the best. Especially in Ohio. I know when I pull cameras in PA before gun. The older bucks are really on their feet.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts