The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's going to take advantage of Monday? How will you approach it?

Saw a big one just out of range on Tuesday, and saw a true beast Thursday afternoon, but he was with three doe and wasn't about to leave them. I so I still have my tag.

I will not shoot a doe. Numbers are way down this year, I'm sure of that. This huge tag allocation without no real way to direct hunting pressure besides the entire WMU is just a mistake. I was not sure of that before, but I am now.

I can only hunt a few morning hours. I think I just might have to think decently legal, not think big. I gave a lot of half-decent bucks a pass waiting for a chance, it was a good season even without filling a tag yet.

I think I would be more thrilled to get a decent basket rack with my bow than just wander without a real plan in big woods by myself. My best locations are archery only, so I just don't have the time to scout them out and manage stand sites AND still do enough boots-on-the-ground in the gun hunting areas.

So, I've got an idea that the PGC gave us this "Bonus Day", so if the good shot presents itself, go for it. Deer sticks and jerky time.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Weather looks about horrible...warm...windy...then wet...i will be out if it aint nasty....i am still holding out....too many nice ones around this season in my woods and i should have every day to hunt...

·
Registered
983 Posts
ive gotta work, my one buddys tryin to get me to call in sick!! lol ill be out after i get done work round 3:15 ill be in my treestand, my buddy and i both seen a HUGE buck there, adn i got a cool crab claw eight that i would LOVE to get, that was on the stealth cam. good luck!!

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I only have a doe tag left.so I will be out in a tree some where .

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I am off work so I will hunt regardless. My forecast doesn't show rain but it will be warm. I've been seeing deer from my new stand location so I will give it a go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll be out for sure. Can't possibly shoot a quality buck sitting on the couch!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Yeah like possumslayer said, filling my buck tag, what else? I'm not shooting a little one just to fill the tag, I have big bucks on cam and saw one yesterday at 5 pm that is #2 here, he is over 140, that's the area where I will spend the day tomorrow.

To each his own, but to pass one in season you'd gladly shoot the last day is just a way to torture yourself by holding out...heh heh. Yesterday someone mentioned a dusty box of racks he had, I have the same kind of box, don't need to start another box. If it won't hang proudly on the wall, it ain't hanging on my meat hook.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good luck to everyone. I will be at work. I leave Thursday for New York to hunt their firearms opener.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Weather looks rough....might be a good morning though with weather moving in....

I am gunna go sit on my gas line stand where i saw a big boy...hunted it 2 evenings/afternoons...but no mornings yet...maybe i will catch up with him....

After the morning it looks like i will be done...hourly shows 25mph gusts by 9am...then rain.and thunderstorms roll in....

Good luck all heading out!!! Oddly enough im not feeling completely down on my odds...wouldnt say they are high....but normally by the last day i.am just "done".

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ill be heading out at 0500. Still seeing decent deer sigtings and good bear sign. here in my area of 3D it should stay calm until around 2-3 then the winds pick up.

Good luck to all and be safe, identify your target!!!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gave it a 2-hour sit in the warm, saw two doe so at least it was a good "wrap" hunt for early archery 2012. Saw two of the bucks on the hit list this season, just not close/clear enough for a good shot. Why can't they just pose sideways at 15 yards like those 4's and 5's do, LOL?

Well, those big boys will get a chance to contribute to the gene pool, and onto the PA gun season!

Late archery, if still packing the tag I am going into "legal" mode. Never killed a deer in late archery, try to take that one off of my To Do list before heading to the Big Treestand in the Sky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts