The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed up to Elk county again this weekend to try and fill my tag. I set out with a goal of taking one yellow phase and one black phase to get mounted also a copperhead. I set the goal of them also being at least 50 inches. Well a few weeks back my wife caught a 50 inch yellow so we were on our way. This past Friday on the way into camp I checked a good log pile I found a few years back. Bingo! There was a big one right on top relaxing. I measured it while in the tube and it was 52.5 inches. The girth is crazy big also on this snake. The next morning my father-in-law and me headed out to my best spot/den. After seeing plenty of legal ones and him missing at least 3 legal ones he caught a nice yellow male that went 46. When we got back to camp we tried getting them both out to get good pics but my snake was still very aggressive. This season I caught 81 snakes and this was the only one that fought so hard and struck like crazy. I haven't ever had a snake act like this. I don't blame him hes just trying to survive. I know when I thaw him and measure him again I'll probably get 2 or 3 more inches cause he was kinked up in the tube pretty good. Well heres the best pics I got. Sorry for being so longwinded.

This is my wives 50 inch yellow. She was so proud, as was I. Its actually very nice having a wife that shares my hobbies.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Yikes! Glad you had success, but not for me.

That snake that your wife is holding looks like it has enough room to strike her. If it does, is there some reason it doesn't take a crack at her? Just curious.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am clueless about snake hunting...and have no intention to try it but curious about those tubes.
Do you put snake in them alive and freeze em or is it some sort of trap?
Nice big snakes congrats...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tube is just a safety thing. Makes it impossible for the snake to bite you while you measure it and sex it.

The taxidermy thing is tricky. I really want to freeze dry them but my taxidermist side his cost is 125$ a foot. So I have around 1100 in mounting both. Kinda kicking around skinning and tanning them now. I definitely would rather have a mount though. Gotta think long and hard on this one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts