The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave is a common hard working man.He started his family young and taught his son and daughter to live a life of honor.He is the man whom alot of the family members look up to.In the mid 70's he was the one that drove an old blue Dodge school bus every year up to the South woods in Potter county so that the family could hunt out of it a base camp for deer season.He taught his only son the skills and patience of the hunter.He may not have known the gift of teaching his son would be so treasured but that would all change as the years went by.Dave had taken alot of deer in his years of hunting.Several small spikes are still in a jar as reminders of deer harvested in Potter county.Several six and 4 points are on the wall as reminders of past hunts in the hills of Washington county.A 3 point hangs on the wall also that was taken on a hunt in Warren county.Many handshakes of good luck were exchanged in the dark as father and son went seperate ways in the predawn.The deer of a lifetime was still out there waiting on him.That would all change on Dec.13,2008.Dave quietly snuck up on the buck on that cold Greene county morning.As his son watched on the 30.06 rang out again loud in the morning air.The buck went 10 yards and dropped.As his son and he approached the downed deer tears filled both of their eyes and they hugged so hard it sounded like two mighty oaks clashing together in a mighty wind storm.They both sat and reflected on what had just taken place.It was special moment for all involved.His son then started the process of field dressing the buck in return for the ones Dave had done for him in years past.This buck was different than all the others he had taken.Now alot of folks may not have seen the greatness of this buck but they did.Some may be think at this point of a 120 class buck or larger.This was bigger than that.The buck taken today will not make any record books nor be seen in picture to awe others. Being a young button buck some may even downplay the days events. But it will be treasued more than any deer ever taken.Three years after suffering a stroke in the woods Dave was back filling his tag.When the stroke occured no one thought he would ever be able to go again.His son thought that was the last time they would hunt as a father and son.AS much as both of them wanted it somehow it did not seem possible.You see he proved all things are possible yesterday.Some will say it is a button buck and should have been left to grow in the woods to become a large trophy buck..I say it was a buck of a lifetime for a man who overcame alot of things.Spirit of the hunt is the feeling I experienced watching Dad take what will be his final deer.He stated now he can quit hunting on his own terms and not be made to quit by health.You see a buck of a lifetime does not have to be a wall hanger it just has to be the one that makes the hunter proudest, the one that lasts forever in memory.I love you Dad. Thanks for giving me the chance to be with you and thanks for making the spirit of the hunt what it should be.All of my life that moment will be the one that comes back to mind and tears will fill my eyes and a smile will show on my face.I am proud to be your son.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Awesome! Congrats to you both. Memories of and for a lifetime. That's why I hunt and that's what I've tried to instill in my children. Again I say Congratulations!

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
great story Dave!! this is what its all about. i know how much you've been looking forward to this moment! congrats to you and your Dad.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Great to hear Dave,that proves the power of prayer is alive and lives in each one of us.I know how bad you wanted your dad to be successful this year,not for yourself but for Dad. The memories you'll have as a son,friend,and life long hunting partner will always be with you.Thanks for sharing my friend.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Dave,

A huge congrats to your Father....He never gave in!!! A very touching story, that again reinforces the positive proof, that hunting with friends and family is something very special to us.

Thanks Dave for sharing the story.....Well wishes to your Dad for continued good health and recovery from his stroke.

All the best, Zumer

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Dave,

What a great story man. Seriously, this is what makes hunting what it is. Stories are made, memories created and friendships that last forever. And in your case, a father and son bond that will last for eternity. This is special not only for you, but for so many of us who have experienced this same exact thing. I really wish the best to your father, maybe he can squeeze a few more years in. With the attitude of a hunter, I am willing to bet he will.

Thank you for sharing this, and God Bless you and your family these holidays!

·
Super Moderator
27,983 Posts
Dave, Great story

I know you've been looking forward to hunting with you Dad this season, and I'm glad to hear you both had the opportunity to share this special time together. It truly is the deer of a lifetime

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well for those who say grown men don't cry I say bully.I was so wound up and excited yesterday.Dad is not as steady as he once was and missed a couple of deer eary in the morning.For him to stalk this deer was no small task.Greatest moment afield for me.For those that have the chance give your Dad a big hug.For those that have lost a father remember the times like these because the memories live for ever.I cannot express the gratitude I have towards all of you who followed along in my ramblings of excitement knowing he would be afield with me this year.For all of your well wishes I am in debt.My future son-in-law and his family helped make this happen by giving Dad the farm to hunt yesterday.Good people are in abundance we just need to open our eyes and look around us.To all of my friends here on HPA thanks you and God bless each and everyone of you.I am humbled to be with each and everyone of you daily on the site.
I look forward to hearing of all of your trips afield.Maybe some of us will have the chance to make someone elses deer of a lifetime become a reality.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Dave...Congrats to your Dad!! This my friend is one of the best stories i followed this year and for a bit of a frustrated give it my all buck hunter in 2008, a good read to remember the true meaning of the Spirit.

I am so very happy to read this. I REALLY am.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Great story Dave, congrats to you and your father.

I am sure that you are going to relive that day many times in the future while you are on stand. You must be very proud.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This should be made mandatory reading for Hunter Education and before anyone posts anything on HPA.

Congratulations and thank you.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Wow, that is OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brings back a few bittersweet memories for me.
I hope that you took a picture.
You will cherish it forever.

John L

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great story Dave. I am happy to hear that you were able to spend the time with your father and that he is able to retire from hunting on his own terms. Maybe next year he'll get that itch and want to come out for another hunt with his son.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts