The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

That's it...a little bit of jerky. When does archery start? Gonna have to find a red tag...

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I feel your pain, and I hunt with you in 2B and with the number of doe tags quickly selling you best apply now, because this November they may only have 50,000 left.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I have zero game left. Not an ounce! Time to get out there and whack something!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fly Guy - I can't tell you how many times my buddies and I have gone down too the courthouse on friday morning, cash and carried 3 tags each, and hunted 20 mins away from the courthouse. I hope to do the same this year. I'm jumping thru hoops to get my 2D tags..but 2B will always be a source of deer meat

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I still have two packs of burger and a set of backstraps I've been saving. I'm heading to a buddy's house next month for a fishing trip and I'm guessing it will all be used there (along with the flounder he should be catching this week).
Oh yeah, and a meal of squirrel I need to use, maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My hat's off to you guys. I really need to step up here, because I've never run out of deer meat. It's not that I'm that good, I just don't get it out of the freezer fast enough.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott, I freeze my ground in 5 lb blocks to make my jerky recipe consistent. it's really all I do with the jerky nowadays, as the wife is less than willing to dine on anything else venison. Case in point...i rocked out 2 lbs of "fajita" meat made from steaks and strap chops on saturday. The boys and I will be eating this batch for the rest of this week cus she won't touch it. I had to cook her up some chicken so she could have taco's with us

The point to this? my jerky disappears FAST, and with that being the majority of my meat usage, the 5 lb blocks go quickly. I think this year i'm gonna commit at least one whole doe to the grind pile. we LOVE jerky and it works well with my gastric bypass.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
JasonBTravel said:
Scott, I freeze my ground in 5 lb blocks to make my jerky recipe consistent. it's really all I do with the jerky nowadays, as the wife is less than willing to dine on anything else venison. Case in point...i rocked out 2 lbs of "fajita" meat made from steaks and strap chops on saturday. The boys and I will be eating this batch for the rest of this week cus she won't touch it. I had to cook her up some chicken so she could have taco's with us

The point to this? my jerky disappears FAST, and with that being the majority of my meat usage, the 5 lb blocks go quickly. I think this year i'm gonna commit at least one whole doe to the grind pile. we LOVE jerky and it works well with my gastric bypass.
I am not a huge fan of the ground jerky. I prefer to slice mine. What is it about the ground that you like?

I have a bunch of meat still left in the freezer. Probably about #15 ground 6 or 8 packs of sausage, elk steaks and some other miscellaneous meat product.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I picked up the Ham and Bacons of the Hog we butchered at the beginning of July, last night....while putting the bacon in the freezer, I happened apone a Deer Back Strap and 3 bags of Deer Burger.....

Gonna be some Good Eats on the BBQ Grill here soon...

Some how they got shoved to the back of the freezer... Sure glad they are in Vacum Pack Bags!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
since i had a gastric bypass, sliced jerky is a bit hard on me. I have to chew the heck out of it. I figure it's less wear and tear on my teeth over time if i let a machine grind it up first

Besides, the wife and kids prefer it. It's a fantastic source of protein for me and has my surgeons blessing. I could quite possibly live off the stuff. I've even used some of my jerky, reconstituted in soups while camping. It's easier to process too. I mix up my marinade in a quart canning jar, and then microwave it until boiling then let it sit to room temp with a lid on. pour it into the meat and mix it, let it sit in the fridge for a day, mix again, repeat. On second day I pump the cured meat out of a jerky press and I have JUST enough trays in my dehydrator to accomodate this much meat. one full day, rotating trays every 4-6 hours and it's done.

Each batch is gone in about a week.

This year I'm gonna make some bologna too. I'm trying to build a business relationship with Con Yeager in a month or two also and can't wait to have a couple chats with thier resident jerky expert. He's talked me thru a couple problems/issues already, and he KNOWS his stuff when it comes to curing meat.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm going to have to start doing that grinding up more for jerky and bologna. I make a lot of bologna, but I still don't seem to get through it all fast enough. The problem is the wife doesn't like venison at all. She can remember eating when she was little, but I can't seem to match her grandma's recipe.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
same with my wife - but she LOVES my jerky. part of the reason i go thru so much ground.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I still have burger and county sausage left- steaks and chops were gone by FEB. The kids eat it like they haven't had a meal in a week. The other half won't touch it.......little does she know..HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

·
Super Moderator
29,234 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
I have zero game left. Not an ounce! Time to get out there and whack something!
Nice advantage of having a season that runs from 1 May until 28 Feb, I never run out of venison

The freezer is getting a little low, so I'll probably get out an evening or two this week

·
Super Moderator
29,234 Posts
I don't have to wait, in fact I might go out tonight!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts