The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cactus is blooming 3 weeks early

I still can't get over the patch of cactus growing here. Been here for at least 21 years. Every fall I pick some pears, but they aren't very big or meaty. Sweet though.

They are blooming already, one bloom last week already. This morning there were at least 6 flowers. But there will be several dozen in a week or so.

At least it hasn't spread much over the years, but it is sure getting thick. I thought about planting some out at the end of the driveway where the kids constantly run through the flower bed. But that would probably be illegal or get me sued.

Anybody else have a cactus patch for an outdoor flower bed?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Re: The cactus is blooming 3 weeks early

I just started a prickly pear cactus last year. This winter I went to Florida and brought home some new stock. Interesting plant. The wild hogs love them in Florida.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts

The Javalina in AZ and southwest love em too. I've seen em munch em up.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I was told today that the flat leaves when peeled and steamed taste like asparagus.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts

Cactus growing in PA? Is this another sign of global warming?

We grew cactus in pots in the house when I was a kid. Until my dad stepped on one. Then it was: "Bye bye cacti!"

·
Registered
626 Posts

SO THOSE ARE PRICKILY PEAR CACTUS? Friends have them growing too. lots of them, had no idea you could eat them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

Pretty common on menus in Texas and Arizona in restaurants. There is also a drink sold as Nectar made from the juice of the fruit of the PP cactus.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

There is a time of year when they don't have the small needle thorns on them This is when the animals eat them. Mine bloomed early and now they are blooming again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts