The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best flints

Anyone have info on the best flints you can buy? Been using T/C flints but have heard Ebglish & German flints are superior. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Re: The best flints

I`ve had the best luck with Black English bought from Track of the Wolf. At our shoot today, I tried a French Amber Flint. It broke in two at the third target! So, back to the Black English I go.....

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

I have had good luck with both the english and french. They each last about the same amount of shots.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

I have had good luck with both the english and french. I do prefer the french. The cut agate flints like TC sells are not so good

·
Registered
12,407 Posts

The best flint for what purpose?? For what frizzen?

I prefer the dark gray english flints. Some reenactors with the large muskets prefer the french amber. On some of the cheaper locks, thee cut/sawn agate seem to promote more reliable ignition. On a high quality lock with a good carbon steel frizzen, the cut agate flints seem to be less reliable than others. Even then, the opinion of best is still subjective. Part of the problem with production locks is geometry as well as the quality of steel in the frizzen. Does the flint strike the frizzen at the optimum arc. Is the frizzen of appropriate carbon steel alloy through and through or case hardened?

And don't just buy any flint. Not only does it have to fit, but you should examine it, by holding it up to the light. An English flint should be a uniform translucent gray/black, with no swirls or spots of other color. When you hold it up to the light, are there fractures of fissures in the flint. If so, don't buy it. I pick my flints very carefully. Probably look at four or five before selecting one. Sometimess if the pile has been picked through, I need to sort through a dozen to find one. If they are all cracked or muddy looking, I don't even buy. For pete's sake don't go into a shop and say give me a flint. Same for French amber. easier to look thrrough, accept no spots or fractures.

·
Registered
154 Posts

With my Lymans the cut agate flints work very well. I tried english flints but quickly switched back to the Lyman flints.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts

My Lymans get French Amber.
My Thompsons get Black English.
Have 3 doz. American Chert to try yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts

My choice are the German machined ones for my TC Hawken. Much better performance than the TC flints. I picked them up at Dixons which is where I go for 90% of my supplies. I also had Dixon install a better frizzen and now I get a shower of sparks and no hang fires.

·
Registered
695 Posts

Black English,French Amber or Rich Pierce Chert. I would use either one if it is the right shape and size.
My .62 with the big germanic lock prefers French flints while my .50&.54 with a Chambers and a custom lock by Chris Laubach prefer English.

It is not uncommon to get 100 shots or more from a single flint from a properly tuned lock and a good flint. I have never seen a cut agate get close to that many shots in any lock.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts

Maybe this post should have said what flints give you more than 50 strikes before it is dull?
I had a cut flint that TC sent with a lock that was reworked.That one lasted about 9 shots and it was finished.

·
Registered
12,407 Posts

cut flints would last longer with better lock geometry. In addition, when the flint starts digging through the case hardened part, it scrapes down through mild steel and then hit the hardened part and that promotes breakage.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

One good thing about using English or French Flints is that they can be knapped. Knapping is an Art in itself and can double a Flints life. I usually use the back edge of my Knife.I`ve heard of using a Diamond file but would rather do it the old way....

·
Registered
1,885 Posts

i never like the cut agate, have used english, you are gonna get a few that break quickly unless you hand pick them well, also if u don't set it up right or like it has been said before, have a good design, you're gonna run through them. Also find the right size, that helps. My frizzen is good quality, on a lyman, and i had it carberized, which makes a big difference. I would never expect 100 shots from one flint, that is impractical in my opinion, to ask of it.

·
Registered
12,407 Posts

Bruin, I purchased a smooth bore trade gun used and the English flint in it lasted for several years, including at least 150 shots. My target pistol with a Becky lock is also great for long flint life. My old TC would eat flints. A days competition would require several flints, and I thought that was normal because I didn't know better. with my long rifle with large L&R lock, flints will last through several competitions.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts

I don't doubt that but, in a hunting application i over do it guess you would say. My lyman doesn't eat them either, i just don't like to take a chance, i don't look to get the most for my money, for the cost of a flint i just err on the side of caution and change it every year, of course shooting it before i take it out, to test it.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

In a Hunting situation, I always start out with a new Flint. At a Woodswalk and Mountain Man shoot,you are mostly allowed three Hammer falls.If my Flinter doesn`t go off on the first try, something is wrong and needs fixed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Dixon sold me a really nice used T/C 50 cal. Hawken a while back. Very pleased with it. However, when I bought it the owner said at some later date I should have a Lyman frizzen put on it. Much better than the T/C frizzen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts