The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Christmas, 1954.

Any twelve year old kid will tell you Christmas is a special time. Things were sort of tough for our family. My Dad was not in the greatest of health, and we didn’t have all that much money to spend, but it was still special anyway. A package appeared under the tree one day. It was long, somewhat rectangular, and had my Dad’s name on it. I asked Mom about it and she told me Dad was thinking about taking up golf, so she got him a club to use. Mom never lied to me, so I believed her.

On Christmas day, as usual, we arose before the yellow bellied sapsuckers started sucking sap, or thinking about what color their bellies were. I guess I was the first one out of bed, which come to think of it, is pretty much the usual thing when kids are involved and the day is Christmas Day. Down the stairs I went. Presents were under the tree as usual, right? Anyway, when we came to that rectangular box, I handed it to my Dad and said, “This one’s for you Pop.” He said, “I’m a bit tired. Why don’t you open it for me?”

I ripped the wrapping paper off, expecting to find a nice golf club, and what to my surprise was there? A Stevens Model 84D .22 rifle. Clip feed model, so it was. What kind of a golf club was this? I darned near lost it. Mom said, “Since you decided you wanted to be a hunter, we thought you needed a .22 rifle.”

A lot of Christmases have passed me by, but this might just have been the best ever. I still have that old Stevens Model 84 D. A whole bunch of squirrels have met their maker at the hands of people shooting it, including a bunch of kids I have taken out hunting. It is a tack driver. Casey Ferrell, the kid of the moment, thinks that this rifle is just the cat’s meow.

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
A precious memory/gun for sure Mutt!

I still have the first gun my Dad bought me back in 1962,,,an ole Sears JC Higgins Model 20 12 Ga. pump.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
That first gun from your Dad sure holds a special place.I know.Thanks for sharing .

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
too cool...i loved it buddy....thanks for that one. what a christmas that was i bet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts