The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This recipe was in the latest edition of Heartland USA. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to. If anyone gets around to trying it before me report back on it please. If not I'll let you all know how it turned out.

The Best Chili I Ever Ate

2 tbs. vegetable oil
2lbs. ground venison
1 cup diced onions
1 medium red or green bell pepper, chopped
16 oz. can diced tomatoes
16 oz. can tomato juice
16 oz. can pork and beans
16 oz. can kidney beans
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. garlic powder
1 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs. crushed red pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 cups corn meal mix
15 oz. can cream corn
1/2 cup milk (add more milk if batter is too thick)
1/2 cup sugar

Brown ground venison in oil. Place in large pot. Add onion, tomatoes, tomato juice, pork and beans, kidney beans, salt, garlic, chili powder and red pepper. Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a separate bowl combine cornmeal, cream corn, milk and sugar. Pour Chili in deep 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour cornmeal mixture evenly over top of chili. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 35 minutes, or until cornbread on top is golden brown. Serves six.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got around to trying this over the weekend. I thought it was good and will make it again but I don't know if I agree with the name of the recipe.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Thanks for posting the recipe Eye. We tried it the other night and it was to sweet for me. We are going to try it again but without the cornbread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have made this chili several times and really enjoy it. I've used venison as well as regular old ground beef. If you have it available, try using ground ELK. That is the best I think. Ground Buffalo is awesome also.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts