The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4570...What would be your choice of manufacturer? Marlin, Henry, Encore Etc?

was told that the Marlins are better than the Henrys if your going to reload. They just have stronger actions... Now I have a 24 inch Encore in the 4570. Single shot but I can shoot anything from it..

You get to a certain age you start to ask why would I need another gun now? Sometimes it's just nice to reward yourself and get something to enjoy in your later years.. The Encore really shoots well to and I never shot a deer with more than the first shot..

·
Registered
419 Posts
4570...What would be your choice of manufacturer? Marlin, Henry, Encore Etc?

was told that the Marlins are better than the Henrys if your going to reload. They just have stronger actions... Now I have a 24 inch Encore in the 4570. Single shot but I can shoot anything from it..

You get to a certain age you start to ask why would I need another gun now? Sometimes it's just nice to reward yourself and get something to enjoy in your later years.. The Encore really shoots well to and I never shot a deer with more than the first shot..
I vote yes on the 45-70 Encore. 24" barrel w/Leupold 2x7 and my own cast RCBS 405gr bullet. Use the same bullet in my flintlock and inline. Single shot kills on everything. All three do not get much use hunting as I usually tag out with my .44 mag revolvers. But they do spend a good bit of time at the range.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Try buffalo bore ammo or garret, Wow. Not a collector of Marlins I just like big bores. I have 444- 450 guide gun also group great at 100 yards. 45/70 has pistol gripe with no checkering! wants to jump out my hands when I pull the trigger. slippery

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
I will second the Leverevolution ammo or Federal Fusion 300 grain rounds. can`t go wrong with either one. I have shot 3 deer with the Fusions and they are fantastic and accurate.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yep, like them JM Marlins, have a Guide Gun I bought in 1982. It puts a BIG hole in what ever you shoot with it when using 300 gr. Sierra HP bullets on top of a stout charge of Reloader 7 powder.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In terms of pure ergonomics and barrel weight/length/caliber in relationship to stock design, the Ruger No.1S in 45-70 Is my all-time favorite from among dozens of big-bore rifles.The balance point is perfect and what amazed me most was how absolutely steady it is shooting offhand. Accuracy is a big plus, too, and like some of the other shooters, I prefer the LeveRevolutions for single ragged hole groups.

Shot a Marlin Guide Gun for years—fantastic little carbine. Crushed every deer on the spot. Mine was the ported model and I traded it off because of the muzzle blast. Was extremely accurate with 405 gr. Rem. Factory fodder. Got a Win. M94 take down (Miroku built) in .450 Marlin to replace it. Finest build quality as always from Miroku.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
I purchased a newer Marlin 1895GBL and have no issues with it. Shooting HSM bear loads. When the first (not JM stamped ones) came out after Remington took over they had some serious quality control issues but have since improved. A few of my friends tried the Hornady ammo but had very poor results on bear.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
My Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 is my go to deer rifle. Mine is a limited edition gray laminate stainless from a run of 800. It shoots clover leafs with Leverevolution ammo.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I purchased a newer Marlin 1895GBL and have no issues with it. Shooting HSM bear loads. When the first (not JM stamped ones) came out after Remington took over they had some serious quality control issues but have since improved. A few of my friends tried the Hornady ammo but had very poor results on bear.
I agree. I have a newer 1895GBL and it is very nice.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I bought a new Marlin a few years ago and chopped the barrel down to 16.5". Shoots awesome and is one of my favorite to hunt with.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ruger No 1 would be my first pick and a marlin that was pre cross-bolt safety would be my second I can't stand those redundant "lawyer" safeties and the way that they look, half cock was perfectly fine for a long time. Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 28 Posts